Help › Forums

teir changes

rated by 0 users
Fri, Jan 1 2010 9:17 PM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • onestonemanone
    45 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 6:15 AM
    at what average are the tier changes. by the way love the site!
  • claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 7:00 AM
  • onestonemanone
    45 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 1:50 PM
    well thanks for trying clare, i knew what tiers were. my question is what i need 2 do to get master rank?
  • Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 1:56 PM

Those cut-off points are closely guarded secrets at WGT.  It's true.  The score for Master is somewhere around 67.5.  Other things factor in, as well.

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 2:09 PM

Get your average down around 66 or less and that should do it.I'll give you the worst advice I can think of,find a 9 you can shot low on and shot that 9 until you get your average down to 66.I strongly advise against this technique because thats exactly what I did.I moved through the tiers just to get to the Master level but was in no way ready to play at the master level.Once you reach the Master tier there is no going back and starting over so take your time if you can and don't be in a hurry to get to a level where your competitors averages are in the LOW 50's. It's up yo you but it's not that much fun entering tourneys knowing your gonna loose before you tee it up.I am not trying to offend you I am just pointing out the things I can see from this side of the fence.I'm just wishing I was still a hack so I could do things differently but it's to late,my fate is sealed.I'm stuck in the place I thought I wanted to be in but now I know I don't belong in.The choice is yours.Choose wisely.........

Larry

• TarheelsRule
    5,482 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 2:21 PM
    I agree with Larry. Take your time in the pro level and use the standard equipment with maybe an upgraded driver only. Play all 4 nines that you are allowed to play and get your average down to about 66 posting all scores. When you can consistently play those 4 nines at around 2 to 4 under par you can enjoy the masters level and upgraded clubs.
  • Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 2:32 PM

Also, if you're looking at achieving Master to get the Master equipment, in particular the much longer Master driver, be aware.  You will also be assigned to the much longer Master tees.  And guess what, the Pros from the Pro tees will outdrive you, in terms of who's away, who plays to the green first.

• AtlantaCoaster
    645 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 7:10 PM

I would be careful of assuming you can take your "best 9" and engineer it down to a score to achieve a Tier promotion with a low average on only that set of holes.

Keep in mind that WGT tells us an "index" is applied to the average as well.  (No they do not tell us what is factored into that either).   I would not be surprised if it takes into account whether the player is playing a variety of courses.

From a practical standpoint, if you can really only play one set of 9 holes REALLY well and the rest not so much - have you actually qualified for the Tier promotion?  (There is no answer to this - only WGT knows for sure)  Then you are at a higher tier on tees that are further back and you will become even more frustrated with the other 27 Holes.  To me that would be a hollow victory - but to each his own.

Also - to the idea about Kiawah Back 9 being the easiest - that's not universal.  Bethpage Front 9 has always been the easiest for me - so it can vary by player.

Good luck working on your game,  AtlantaCoaster

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 7:37 PM

Honest, wonderful advice by all. The truth.... What is odd is the normal tendency to post only the scores that reflect how one plays 15% of the time. I need help on this one...I just don't get it.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Thu, Dec 31 2009 7:50 PM

Having it to do all over again would be nice, but I'm glad with the way I made master. To me, moving to the master tier was similar to moving up in the rest of the tiers. Each tier had a new experience in it and another level of skill to master.

Now that I've been a master for about a month, I believe I'm where I want to be as far as growing in the new experience. Am I scoring a 59 every other round, no, but I can see my skills developing to a level that one day I will be able to score a 59 or better.

A lot of the veteran masters have been playing for a year or two and are seasoned in the game. I don't see no reason why we, a new class of masters can't achieve that level of playability the same way the veterans do. In do time grasshoppers.

I find the V2 pros aren't the clubs for the master tier for the simple fact they aren't long enough on key holes for scoring properly. I believe a master iron set will make scoring a little better; playing from the master tees.

• PAGES
RSS