Forums

Help › Forums

Tier saturation

Mon, Mar 4 2024 9:48 AM (28 replies)
  • BlackBogey
    278 Posts
    Sun, Mar 3 2024 8:36 AM

ScottHope:

P.S. As your average didn't go up with that latest score I guess you are saturated.

Since his current Avg is 57.74xx and he shot 58, I would think he could be close to saturation but not quite there yet?  Tough to say since he cannot get the full 4 decimal places.  Meaning his actual Avg could be 57.7415, and that 58 might have bumped it up to say 57.7445, which would still report as a 57.74?

Plus, since he already has the required avg (needs equal to or lower than 59 and is at 57.74) wouldn't he have advanced already if he was saturated?

BTW, very impressive @dad19733 to be that far below required avg before hitting saturation.  Usually it's the other way around - being a few strokes OVER the required avg and plodding along for months trying to knock those last few pesky strokes/decimal points off. 

Oh, wait.  It appears from your score history that you primarily only play CC "Red Tee" tournaments on PGA F9 and WC B9, with a few recent Erin F9 thrown in.  If you are only concerned with artificially lowering your Avg and jumping to Champ, why are bothering with Erin?  St Andrews F9 with low winds/easy tees would be much more conducive to lowering your avg than Erin F9 I would think?

• dad19733
    164 Posts
    Sun, Mar 3 2024 8:42 AM

I can shoot that same score on reg lol, just quicker this way. 

Thanks Jamie 

BlackBogey:

ScottHope:

P.S. As your average didn't go up with that latest score I guess you are saturated.

Since his current Avg is 57.74xx and he shot 58, I would think he could be close to saturation but not quite there yet?  Tough to say since he cannot get the full 4 decimal places.  Meaning his actual Avg could be 57.7415, and that 58 might have bumped it up to say 57.7445, which would still report as a 57.74?

Plus, since he already has the required avg (needs equal to or lower than 59 and is at 57.74) wouldn't he have advanced already if he was saturated?

BTW, very impressive @dad19733 to be that far below required avg before hitting saturation.  Usually it's the other way around - being a few strokes OVER the required avg and plodding along for months trying to knock those last few pesky strokes/decimal points off. 

Oh, wait.  It appears from your score history that you primarily only play CC "Red Tee" tournaments on PGA F9 and WC B9, with a few recent Erin F9 thrown in.  If you are only concerned with artificially lowering your Avg and jumping to Champ, why are bothering with Erin?  St Andrews F9 with low winds/easy tees would be much more conducive to lowering your avg than Erin F9 I would think?

• ScottHope
    10,095 Posts
    Sun, Mar 3 2024 9:36 AM

BlackBogey:

That makes sense BB.  ; )

• BlackBogey
    278 Posts
    Sun, Mar 3 2024 10:27 AM

dad19733:

Thanks Jamie 

To each their own, this is just a form of entertainment after all.  You say it's just quicker this way, so I have to ask (no disrespect intended) - what is your rush to reach Champ?

• dad19733
    164 Posts
    Sun, Mar 3 2024 10:36 AM

No disrespect taken bro, all good.

I have no patience, and really its a great way to map clubs and courses

Jamie

BlackBogey:

dad19733:

Thanks Jamie 

To each their own, this is just a form of entertainment after all.  You say it's just quicker this way, so I have to ask (no disrespect intended) - what is your rush to reach Champ?

• HamdenPro
    2,415 Posts
    Sun, Mar 3 2024 1:08 PM

Squatch031:

Check out this Youtube video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBErGYmtMKY

It is a nice video and admirable he took the time to create it. Unfortunately, a few things he says are incorrect.

Just a few:

Technically, although it is easier to advance with better equipment, and you must increase your level to get the better equipment, your tier is not dependent on level. You advancement, other than being able to purchase better equipment, is not dependent on any specific level. Tiers are based solely upon average and number of ranked rounds (as far as advancing via ranked rounds only). As for coin room advancement, or a hybrid of both coin/ranked, no one knows the requirements to advance.

He implies that you can only advance levels through ranked round play. You can advance tiers from coin room play and hybrid play.

The number of rounds needed to advance are reset at each tier. The number of rounds he says are needed, for each level, are correct, but he has not indicated that the number played at each level are not cumulative (they do not carry over to the next tier- for ranked rounds played at that tier)..

Finally, although not "incorrect", it appears he condones "red tee" tournaments to reduce averages. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but it is something many, including myself, frown upon.

• dad19733
    164 Posts
    Sun, Mar 3 2024 2:38 PM

Well on that note, I'm gonna bid you all adieu. Time to go check out what on discord. 

Thank you, and good night

Jamie

HamdenPro:

Squatch031:

Check out this Youtube video....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBErGYmtMKY

It is a nice video and admirable he took the time to create it. Unfortunately, a few things he says are incorrect.

Just a few:

Technically, although it is easier to advance with better equipment, and you must increase your level to get the better equipment, your tier is not dependent on level. You advancement, other than being able to purchase better equipment, is not dependent on any specific level. Tiers are based solely upon average and number of ranked rounds (as far as advancing via ranked rounds only). As for coin room advancement, or a hybrid of both coin/ranked, no one knows the requirements to advance.

He implies that you can only advance levels through ranked round play. You can advance tiers from coin room play and hybrid play.

The number of rounds needed to advance are restet at each tier. The number of rounds he says are needed, for each level, are correct, but he has not indicated that the number played at each level are not cumulative (they do not carry over to the next tier- for ranked rounds played at that tier)..

Finally, although not "incorrect", it appears he condones "red tee" tournaments to reduce averages. Nothing wrong with that, of course, but it is something many, including myself, frown upon.

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Sun, Mar 3 2024 5:22 PM

HamdenPro:

I'm one of those who doesn't necessarily frown on that approach to tiering up. But I do find it more than a bit ironic that there are those who take that approach and then brag about achieving Champion or Tour Champion. 

While there's nothing inherently wrong with taking that approach, achieving higher tiers while playing from the short tees hardly seems an accomplishment. It's somewhat akin to claiming one can dunk a basketball but the rim is only 6 feet high.

• dad19733
    164 Posts
    Sun, Mar 3 2024 5:59 PM

If it was so bad, wgt wouldn't allow it?

Robert1893:

HamdenPro:

I'm one of those who doesn't necessarily frown on that approach to tiering up. But I do find it more than a bit ironic that there are those who take that approach and then brag about achieving Champion or Tour Champion. 

While there's nothing inherently wrong with taking that approach, achieving higher tiers while playing from the short tees hardly seems an accomplishment. It's somewhat akin to claiming one can dunk a basketball but the rim is only 6 feet high.

• HamdenPro
    2,415 Posts
    Sun, Mar 3 2024 6:04 PM

dad19733:
    If it was so bad, wgt wouldn't allow it?

It is not "so bad" or even near the worst thing ever, and certainly not against any wgt rules.

My comments were not directed to you, or anyone specific. I was commenting about the youtube video that was linked.

As far as "red tee" champs, to each their own. It is no different that a low handicapper playing from the shortest tees at your local course.

EDIT: After much thought, I am of the opinion that it really does not matter. People should, and do, whatever they want if it makes the game more enjoyable for them.

RSS