Forums

Help › Forums

If you were to buy one thing?

Thu, Jan 14 2010 5:22 AM (77 replies)
  • donsprintr
    2,063 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 12:06 AM

I think the first purchase should be a cold six-pack of MGD .... after which one does not care which driver, wedge, or putter one uses ...

:-P

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 2:16 AM

tibbets:
    Hence, buy the driver first, putter later.

Just your opinion, and differring opinions are permitted. To purchase a good driver, you need to spend $8 or so (the $1 upgraded driver only extends your shots by 10 yards, which is hardly worth the mention).

In contrast, the Spider putter only costs $4, so it's suitable as a first purchase, too, for those who would hesitate to spend $8 or more for their first upgrade.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 4:42 AM

Whatever Faterson.  You're welcome to your Spider theory (and that is all it is, a theory), but I've helped  scores of golfers over the last year and a half and they'll say otherwise.  In fact, I don't know of anyone else who would even consider buying a putter before a driver.  It's as theoretically sound of an alternative as buying new wedges first.  In practice, however, the tried and true method has time and time again been, driver upgrades first.  Everything else is optional to be competitive until you reach the Blue tees. That is a fact that many golfers have shown, and continue to show.  I have yet to see anyone be competitive with a simple putter upgrade.

Case closed.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 5:46 AM

tibbets:
    In fact, I don't know of anyone else who would even consider buying a putter before a driver.

Then read this thread and you will find them.    Also, please do not build strawmen and then knock them down pretending you're discussing with me. I never talked about "being competitive with a simple putter upgrade". I did say upgrading the putter might be a good first choice because upgrading the driver for $1 won't really help much and getting a good driver is twice as expensive as getting the Spider.

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 5:50 AM

tibbets:
    Case closed.

Why?

With that statement it deems everyone else's opinion worthless,is that really how you feel?

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 6:32 AM

Might as well lock the thread for Tibbet's has spoken!!

1,644 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 6:37 AM

ROLF... love the animation Andy.... classic!

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 7:02 AM

No, everyone else opinion is not worthless.  Experience, however, must be drawn upon to make educated choices.  You should know that I played the Starter set for 6 months before there were even any other clubs to choose from, some 500 rounds or so.  The difference maker at that point was the introduction of the Tour Starter set, and more specifically, the extra distance of the driver. It wouldn't seem like an extra 5 yards would mean that much, but they do.  In many cases, it allows for one less club to be used, increasing ball loft and softening the landing on the approach. In some cases, It can be the difference between reaching the green or not (hole#4 on Kiawah for instance)  Considering the scramble stats of the average beginner golfer, the ability to 2-putt far outweighs the ability to get up and down.

The putter upgrade at that point was the Tour Starter putter, which if you look at the stats between the 2 really doesn't help all that much. Many players didn't even bother upgrading the putter at that point, some of the best players that were on here even. It was the extra distance off the tee that made the difference in the scoring.

Putting has its own skill set attached to it that varies from the rest of the game.  Reading greens isn't something that a better putter will help you with.  It isn't until a certain degree of skill is reached that longer putts, those of 10 ft or more, will be made with any regularity, regardless of the putter one is using.  The ability to get on the green in regulation and leave shorter putts is what gives you the best chance of scoring well, and that is only accomplished with being able to hit shorter approach shots to the green.  The only way to do that is to increase distance off the tee.  That is why a driver upgrade is the one that radically alters scoring for the beginner golfer, not a new putter.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 7:10 AM

Yes, the Tour Starter putter upgrade isn't worth mentioning, but Spider is. I definitely believe the Spider putter can improve a golfer's score more than the paltry $1 upgrade of a driver so that the golfer is hitting 10 yards longer off the tees.

Tibbets's experience is different precisely because when he was upgrading for the first time, the Spider or any other truly advanced putter wasn't available for this game. Today's players have wider choices for a first upgrade than Tibbets and the other old-timers had.

• kaleb2007
    28 Posts
    Wed, Dec 23 2009 7:14 AM

I agree sir,,my first upgrade was the driver,,and it moved me from am to pro pretty quick,,the added yardage did make it easier to get on the green. Then from there i went irons,,wedges,,woods and hybrid. And finally the putter,,which i'm thinking of going back to the starter,,seemed i putted more consistant with it

RSS