If you were to buy one thing?

Thu, Jan 14 2010 5:22 AM (77 replies)
  • chipshotcharlie
    538 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2009 2:55 PM

Faterson:

YankeeJim:
    We're talking accuracy here, not meter.

I'm not. I'm talking about the overall value of a putter, and that of the Spider seems definitely higher to me than that of the Anser. I wouldn't recommend the purchase of Anser to anyone now that the Redwood is available – not even to Amateur or Hack players (for whom a slower-meter putter definitely seems more suitable).

i bought rapture clubs & spider putter but find the slow meter gives to much time for hesitation,i have satin pro wedges there fast meter i sort of like it . i think i will go with taylor made clubs next just my opinion.

putter and driver is esential to progress for most imo

merry cristmas chippy

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2009 3:14 PM

Faterson:
    I wouldn't recommend the purchase of Anser to anyone now that the Redwood is available – not even to Amateur or Hack players (for whom a slower-meter putter definitely seems more suitable).

That makes tremendous sense there Faterson. Stay with the pacifier until you're big enough then jump into the high end putter. Make sure to expect to learn to putt all over again because that meter's going to seem like it's going 100mph. By all means disregard the precision of each putter-that doesn't mean anything by your logic. Put off until tomorrow what you should be learning today.

Do not think I am inciting you, F-this is my opinion but an interesting observation can be made between you and me. We joined WGT within days of each other so our stats are relatively the same with respect to the skew factor (our early learning stats.) You have been around the block with all the putters. I went from the freebie to the Anser to the Redwood. Obviously I can't speak about the other putters but I would think the putting stats between us would speak volumes, no?

I'm sure you'll have a Fatersonistic explanation of the difference, logically and sincerely presented but the stats are empirical, unlike our respective opinions.

Buy the Anser.............

YJ

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2009 3:27 PM

When faced with the choice between the anser and spider, I chose the anser.

Part of the reason why was to keep the meter speed consistent with other clubs (I'm a fast meter player), the other for the accuracy.   But the main reason was the yardage breakdown.   It's much easier for me to calculate distance with the anser due to the way I break down the swing meter and calculate distance on it.

• seanobrien
    296 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2009 4:11 PM
    Buy a driver that hits 250 yds +. That gave me the biggest advance. Could finally shoot under par at BP. I don't think the putters make much difference. I have a spider for a long time now and I don't believe there is any advantage to having it. Your putting gets better the more you play and you read / know the line better from this.
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2009 4:24 PM

YankeeJim:
    Obviously I can't speak about the other putters but I would think the putting stats between us would speak volumes, no?

No. Stats are skewed. Nothing is more inane than judging a forum poster based oh his alleged number of rounds played. You're all forgetting those stats only include ranked rounds. Loads of community tournaments are played in practice-mode, and stats from all those rounds are lost. My real putting stats at this point may actually be better than yours, YankeeJim. 

Also, I have extensively played with all the putters that have ever been available in this game, while you, by your own admission, have not. Therefore, it's rather odd to see you write about the merits of Anser versus Spider, having never played with the latter one.

YankeeJim:
    Buy the Anser.............

Buy the Spider, no question about it. Forget about Anser; it's snow of yesterday, and I believe it's no longer truly useful for any type of WGT player at this point.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2009 5:39 PM

Faterson:
    Forget about Anser; it's snow of yesterday,

LOL-Hear that Mario?

You're not making sense, Faterson. Why push a slow meter as a reason for using something less accurate? The Anser is more accurate and if the end result is the ultimate purchase of the Redwood the learning curve is very small when progressing from the Anser. It's huge when moving from a slower meter.

I did not judge you and did not pass judgement on the Spider-I qualified my opinion. This isn't about who is a better putter. This isn't about inane comparisons. This is about what would help a new player most and you're doing them a disservice by promoting meter speed. That's a band-aid. Go for the accuracy. 

YJ

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2009 6:08 PM

I disagree, YankeeJim. For example, for players who prefer the Rapture clubs, it's a lot more logical to opt for Spider's meter speed, because it is similar to that of the Rapture clubs.

That being said, I combine both slow-meter and fast-meter clubs in my bag, use them in turn during my rounds, and have no problem with it. Flexibility is the key.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2009 7:45 PM

...and all this is current debate is rendered irrelevant because the first purchase made should be a driver, as per the OP's question :)

Hitting shorter approach shots into the green with the beginner clubs greatly increases your chance to have a shorter putt to make.  The shorter the putt, the more irrelevant the type of putter.  Hence, buy the driver first, putter later.

• dorkfeatures
    712 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2009 8:39 PM

Hi All,

Totally agree with Tibbets on this one.

1st purchase should be the driver, absolutely no question about that !! Then you can have a look at your putter options - later !!

Happy hitting 

Doug

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2009 8:44 PM

1st purchase should be the free green avatar with the golden glowing arms... then a driver.

RSS