Forums

Help › Forums

If you were to buy one thing?

Thu, Jan 14 2010 5:22 AM (77 replies)
  • scanne
    4 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2009 1:47 AM
    From the basic set if you were to buy one thing that would make the game easier what would it be? Or can you make decent progress with the basic set i.e make amatuer status and on?
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2009 2:24 AM

I believe the ideal first purchase would be the Spider putter. (The Redwood putter is a lot better, but it's only available for the Pro+ tier.)

The second thing to buy is a driver, and I would recommend the Rapture 10.5° driver. (Again, the Rapture Pro 9.5° driver is a lot better, but it's only available for the Pro+ tier.)

I'd also recommend using advanced ball types. The most expensive ball types are the most useful, naturally. I would recommend GI-SD balls or GI2-S balls. (The first of these is only available for the Pro+ tier.)

But, you can also advance to the Pro tier using the basic free equipment set. It will just be more difficult, and I'd say also less fun.

• Doublemochaman
    2,009 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2009 7:18 AM

I would recommend the new "smooth" meter.  It goes for fewer credits than a new driver but is not available to all.  It only shows up on accounts that say favorable things about WGT.  Got one myself.  Gotta love WGT.

• TarheelsRule
    5,487 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2009 8:13 AM

I think that you advance to the pro meter using basic clubs, then buy the Rapture Pro Driver and the Spyder putter before making Master.  After making Master I think you should club up to whatever you feel best about playing.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2009 8:21 AM

My recommendation for first upgrade is the putter.   The default putter is crap, and is probably bent as well.   :)

Next would be a driver.   You will need extra distance off the tee once your progress past the amateur rank.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2009 8:35 AM

TarheelsRule:
    I think that you advance to the pro meter using basic clubs, then buy the Rapture Pro Driver and the Spyder putter before making Master.

I think if someone already is in the Pro tier, they should buy the superior Redwood putter straight away.

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2009 9:13 AM

I'd use that starter equipment until I got to the Pro Tier,if thats possible,it wasn't for me but I do wish I would of waited.Once I got to the pro tier I got the Taylor Made R9 9.5 that does come with the faster meter but made a lot of difference in my game.I also purchased the REDWOOD PUTTER, I capped  each letter there just to represent how much I like the putter and how much it helped my game.

• seveking
    983 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2009 9:35 AM
    I´m surprised how many people on here and when I talk to others during matches consider their new putter to be very important for them. I´ve always used the starter putter and have no intention of buying a new one. It´s always been good and it´s certainly not the worst part of my game.
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2009 9:55 AM

Faterson:
    I believe the ideal first purchase would be the Spider putter. (The Redwood putter is a lot better, but it's only available for the Pro+ tier.)

I think the Anser trumps the Spyder-it's a junior version of the Redwood. JMO

YJ

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Dec 22 2009 11:06 AM

I beg to differ there. I played extensively with both, and I thought the Spider's slower meter outweighed the benefits offered by Anser.

The situation got reversed after the Redwood putter was introduced, because I believe its marvellous precision outweighs the benefit of the Spider's slower meter.   

RSS