Forums

Help › Forums

Earth!

Sat, Dec 23 2023 11:54 AM (27 replies)
  • gherkinhead1
    245 Posts
    Wed, Nov 1 2023 12:03 AM

Why do the sun and the stars and the planets  rotate arouund the Earth?   Is iit because we are the centre of the Universe?

• gonfission
    2,230 Posts
    Wed, Nov 1 2023 12:54 PM

Are you serious?

I met a Colonel once in the winter in NH. Talking to him about the earth tilting on its axis twice a year. Guy called me a liar. I asked why he thought we had seasons, you know, cold & warm weather at different times of the year.

No answer

The guy was a friend of a friend. Months later when I saw my bud again, he told me the Colonel thinks I need a straight jacket.

I asked my bud if he was really that stupid...

This is the mentality of the military from bottom to top.

Were you in the military Gerkin, by any chance?

This may give you some insight to who you are...................

• AlaskanDame
    18,971 Posts
    Fri, Nov 3 2023 9:49 AM

Um….you are correct about tilt causing seasons but the tilt is all year not “twice a year.”

https://www.universetoday.com/47176/earths-axis/

• HamdenPro
    2,414 Posts
    Fri, Nov 3 2023 12:02 PM

AlaskanDame:
    Um….you are correct about tilt causing seasons but the tilt is all year not “twice a year.”

Although the Earth is always tilted at 23.4 degree angle, in relation to the sun, (half the year it tilts away, the other half it tilts toward the sun).

However, twice a year, the Earth does not tilt towards, or away from, the sun.

In any event, I would not disagree with Joe, he has explosives and is not afraid to use them

• AlaskanDame
    18,971 Posts
    Fri, Nov 3 2023 12:35 PM

I will take your comment about explosives under advisement, HP, but your first and second sentences contradict each other.  The first sentence is correct….always tilted.  The “it” in your parenthetical refers to the N. Hemisphere (or the S. one).

• HamdenPro
    2,414 Posts
    Fri, Nov 3 2023 6:19 PM

AlaskanDame:
    but your first and second sentences contradict each other.

During the equinox's (vernal and autumnal), earth's tilt is neither towards, or away from, the sun. During this time, there is almost an equal amount of day/night time at all latitudes. 

Earth's orbit and the relation to seasons

• AlaskanDame
    18,971 Posts
    Fri, Nov 3 2023 7:10 PM

Okay, I’ve gotcha now.

cheers!

• ct690911
    7,195 Posts
    Fri, Nov 3 2023 8:23 PM

If one gets drunk enough, the Earth's tilt balances everything out so a person can walk str8. Just a working theory, mind you.

• MioKontic
    4,591 Posts
    Wed, Nov 29 2023 3:45 PM

HamdenPro:

AlaskanDame:
    but your first and second sentences contradict each other.

During the equinox's (vernal and autumnal), earth's tilt is neither towards, or away from, the sun. During this time, there is almost an equal amount of day/night time at all latitudes. 

Earth's orbit and the relation to seasons

Hang on HP, your diagram is wrong - it is showing the earth revolving around the sun, but Gherkinhead said the sun (and everything else in the universe) revolves around earth.  So which of you is right?

Also, your diagram shows the earth as being round, whereas we all know it is flat, except for some hills here and there which doesn't make it totally flat, and some water here and there also, some of it deep, so not totally flat there either.  But we all know it's flat, so your diagram is wrong  :)

• Robert1893
    7,666 Posts
    Wed, Nov 29 2023 7:29 PM

MioKontic:

Hang on HP, your diagram is wrong - it is showing the earth revolving around the sun, but Gherkinhead said the sun (and everything else in the universe) revolves around earth.  So which of you is right?

Also, your diagram shows the earth as being round, whereas we all know it is flat, except for some hills here and there which doesn't make it totally flat, and some water here and there also, some of it deep, so not totally flat there either.  But we all know it's flat, so your diagram is wrong  :)

Thank you! I had thought of posting something but decided not to. So happy someone finally stepped in to post the truth here. Clearly, reality is much closer to this ⬇︎ than the false information posted above.

RSS