Forums

Help › Forums

Newest Update Won't Load MacBook Pro

Sun, Dec 17 2023 12:56 PM (43 replies)
  • Robert1893
    7,679 Posts
    Sun, Oct 1 2023 11:17 AM

WGTShamWow:

If you are getting a black screen, check which OSX version you are currently running. If its 10.13.6 or older, you would need to update to a newer version of OSX. Unfortunately the latest update came with an update to the game engine our game runs on, Unity, and they are no longer supporting OSX 10.13.6 or older. 

Best,
    WGTShamWow

In another post, he mentioned he's running High Sierra. Given he's running that OS, I'm guessing his computer is now considered "obsolete" by Apple.

If that's the case, he can't update his OS. Like the player above (UVBLUE47), using Steam is likely the player's only option. 

• ScottHope
    10,130 Posts
    Sun, Oct 1 2023 1:18 PM

I don't know MacBooks, let me put that first. So everything I write here might be tosh.

I looked up 'High Sierra' to find out how old it is. According to what I read it's 2018. Now, considering that WGT no longer 'supports' Windows 7, which came out in 2009 and I have WGT running on a machine that has Windows 7 on it, are we to believe that WGT will no longer run on an Apple OS that is only 5 years old?

If the game is no longer downloadable from the App store because of the age of your OS, could someone with a supported MacBook upload the launcher to a filesharing site so that unsupported OS users could download it and try to get the game re-installed?

I realise that WGT would not approve of this, but not everyone wants to upgrade their OS or buy a new computer, and MacBooks appear to be damn expensive!

Perhaps WGT are right and the game will not run on an OS that's just 5 years old, but I am very sceptical about that.

• Robert1893
    7,679 Posts
    Sun, Oct 1 2023 2:33 PM

Hey, Scott:

On this one, I somewhat blame Apple more than I do WGT. And, as an aside, I'm big Apple fan. Been using a Mac since about 2012 when I switched over from Windows-based computers (after over 15 years using Windows).

I think Apple is a bit too quick (at times) to obsolete older hardware. When they obsolete a unit, the user can no longer update the OS. On the other hand, if someone is running High Sierra and can't upgrade, that means their computer has to be at least 10 years old. When a new OS comes out (about one a year, IIRC), users can upgrade for free. 

But as I mentioned in another thread, this situation isn't all that unusual. For example, a MacBook running High Sierra wouldn't be able to install the most current version of Microsoft Office. I tried. I have a MacBook Pro (early 2011) running High Sierra. Can't install Office on it.

And a couple of years ago, we had to get a new MacBook Air for my wife because the newest version of Quicken wouldn't run on it due to the age of the OS. And I couldn't update the OS because Apple obsoleted it.

By the way, High Sierra came out in 2017. What that means is since then (including Sonoma) there have been 6 updates of the OS. 

• HPSergeant
    6 Posts
    Sun, Oct 1 2023 3:04 PM

I'm running 14 Sonoma and it won't load. I was able to get it working through Steam.

• ScottHope
    10,130 Posts
    Sun, Oct 1 2023 3:27 PM

Okay Rob, thanks for that info.  ; )

• Robert1893
    7,679 Posts
    Sun, Oct 1 2023 5:18 PM

👍

• marinosumo
    1 Posts
    Mon, Oct 2 2023 11:21 PM

Same issue with Catalina 10.15.7

• SamSpayed
    4,910 Posts
    Tue, Oct 3 2023 9:59 AM

marinosumo:

Same issue with Catalina 10.15.7

Apple ended support for all computers running macOS Catalina on November 30, 2022 - nearly one year ago.  Might be time to upgrade your OS if you can.

• Datejust
    2 Posts
    Mon, Nov 13 2023 8:50 PM

Running Sonoma 14.1.1 won't load.  Hasn't loaded for the past 6 months no matter what the update was. WGT nor apple have an idea(s) as how to fix the issue.  Have to play mobile for now. 

• Robert1893
    7,679 Posts
    Tue, Nov 14 2023 3:41 PM

Datejust:

Running Sonoma 14.1.1 won't load.  Hasn't loaded for the past 6 months no matter what the update was. WGT nor apple have an idea(s) as how to fix the issue.  Have to play mobile for now. 

Just tested both versions (Mac OS and iOS) on my MacBook (also running 14.1.1). Didn't have any issues. If you were able to post more information, maybe someone could offer some suggestions.

RSS