Forums

Help › Forums

Level 105 with a 62 AVG in Rookie Qualifying??

rated by 0 users
Fri, Oct 13 2023 5:21 AM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Struan2021
    1 Posts
    Wed, Sep 6 2023 3:15 PM

Dear Sir,

Why, oh why is there not a lower limit placed on the top players for qualifying for tournaments. 

The rookie qualifying round for the County Fair Showdown is full of Tour Legends, and better, that surely should be playing in a different qualifying bracket ( there are two higher brackets after all). 

I may be miss understanding how it works, but in my view it doesn't allow the higher handicap a chance at competing. 

Yours ( disgruntled) 

• TopShelf2010
    10,880 Posts
    Thu, Sep 7 2023 2:09 AM

The NAMES of the showdown groups (Rookie / Veteran / Expert) was a mistake by WGT in my opinion.

Anyone, of any tier can enter each group. The real difference between the groups is the amount of $$$ (credits / coins) you are willing to wager as a entry fee and in each match.

Unfortunately that means that there will be highly skilled (Legend and up) players in the rookie group. And while there are many who say they shouldn’t be in there ... they are not breaking any rules and are playing totally within the parameters that WGT has setup.

The REAL solution would be fro WGT to turn these Showdowns into tiered groups so that players are only grouped with similarly skilled (or tiered as suggested by others) players. 

• callaghan159
    6,222 Posts
    Thu, Sep 7 2023 2:23 AM

TopShelf2010:
    The REAL solution would be fro WGT to turn these Showdowns into tiered groups so that players are only grouped with similarly skilled players. 

I would change the "similarly skilled" to "similarly tiered".  I have played some L, TL, C and TC  that imho are not that skilled for the tier that they are at. Maybe they had a off round but some of these players I have played a few times. I would say create a entry spot for each tier and make it for that they can only enter their tier level. Cheers

• GreenLaser
    176 Posts
    Thu, Sep 7 2023 4:38 AM

I'm a semi-skilled Legend and always play in the Rookie division. I haven't had a top 10 finish yet, but I wouldn't mind being excluded from Rookie. I'd play in the Veteran and Expert divisions now if the entry fees were cheaper.  I may give Veteran a try next time.

• MioKontic
    4,591 Posts
    Thu, Sep 7 2023 12:11 PM

TopShelf2010:
    The REAL solution would be fro WGT to turn these Showdowns into tiered groups so that players are only grouped with similarly skilled (or tiered as suggested by others) players. 

Unfortunately that does not stop sandbaggers from entering showdowns below their 'skill level' (not to be confused with 'tier').  For instance, PrimerLance is currently a Tour Legend (and only got moved up from Legend after I pointed it out to Nico) who only plays one or two ranked rounds maximum per month, namely the premium monthly tier open and possibly another premium tournament, e.g. the VUSO.   He usually wins the premium monthly tier open (or if he sees that he won't win he will withdraw rather than post a ranked round, and so potentially have zero ranked rounds for that month), and he has recently twice finished in the top 10 (that I've seen) in other major high-paying tournaments (one of them being the VUSO), ahead of many decent Champions and Tour Champions.  WGT won't put him into the tier he should be in (i.e. Tour Champion), therefore he will remain at Tour Legend probably forever, because he will never reach the 750 ranked rounds for a TL to move up to C.  I'm not saying he would play in the showdowns, but it is merely an example of why the idea wouldn't work.

Also, just as a reply to the OP (and many others who post similar posts every showdown), there are many Masters and below (I've even seen a Hack!) who enter the Veteran showdown group, so everyone has a choice which group they want to play in, and you even have a choice to not play at all.  Also, in the Rookie division everyone plays off their own tees, so Legends and above will be playing from the car park tees, whilst Pros, for instance, will be playing pitch and putt.

• Stlkcdc3
    278 Posts
    Thu, Sep 7 2023 12:44 PM

GreenLaser:

I'm a semi-skilled Legend and always play in the Rookie division. I haven't had a top 10 finish yet, but I wouldn't mind being excluded from Rookie. I'd play in the Veteran and Expert divisions now if the entry fees were cheaper.  I may give Veteran a try next time.

I am also a "semi-skilled" Legend here and I play Rookie Division. I can usually reach the final so I get a ball etc. for my 10 cents. I have not yet made top ten but close. Lost out a couple of times as opposing players nuked (froze) the final round of 3. Sometimes you can get out of the mess system wise, other times BOGEY and done.

Almost every time in my Rookie Finals the winner is a Champion or TC. Not breaking any rules so I just move along.   

• dragonmouse
    24 Posts
    Sat, Sep 9 2023 1:31 PM

As a listed tour master, I sort of feel your pain but would throw this out. I have beaten tour champs a time or two, I have been defeated by level 10 or 11 hacks, just depends on the day, my focus, their focus and the VEM. The fact that they are not doing something outside of the rules as an answer is bogus though as while true as it stands the fault is with the parameters of the tourney. As a tour pro my avg dropped to the low 70s, At master it climbed back to mid 80s for a couple of months of off play and now at tour master it is mid 80s because I have more or less quit with rr tourneys or otherwise. 

Why you ask? its really simple, I mostly stick with coin games because even at only a few thousand coins in the bank, I can play against others and continue to compete there for rewards as my bank allows me to gamble on.  Even the top rewards for tourneys are a few hundred creds at most that I can get in a few days watching vids for no risk. (when they work).

The answer for the tourneys is simple. Make the entry based on avg, the problem for me is not playing a legend tier, its playing someone with an avg 20 points below my own. They obviously either A. are much better player than I am, B. have more real time to play and get better than I do. C. They are better at hand/eye coordination to play a computer game, and have a better sense of the game of golf than I do.

Notice I did not blame equipment.  I have lost to players with all starter stuff and won over those who paid real $$ for top of the line for rank equipment. If WGT cared, (they don't) they would match avg;s  There is no bragging rights for an avg 67 master beating an avg 87 tour pro. Nor the reverse as stated above. On any given day anyone can have a good or bad round. Don't get disgruntled, If you are playing to compete only then I would suggest finding something that gives real competition, and WGT golf ain't it.  If you are playing to enjoy the game then winning is simply gravy on the biscuit and WGT does a pretty fair job of providing that when it works properly. just my opinion YMMV

• pjsbush74
    360 Posts
    Tue, Sep 12 2023 3:40 AM

I'm not a sandbanger and speaking from my own experiences I don't mind losing 10 credits entry fee compared with 100 or 1000 credits as there are so many glitches in the showdowns if I was 100 per cent sure they were all fixed I would have no hesitation to play in them but having had the 3 bogeys glitch every time I've stepped up to the veteran division I decided against going in there... I don't think it's anything to do with ability etc its all to do with the likely and realistic outcome whats 10 credits to lose and the majority of the time I get the free balls ... that's just my experience of showdowns

• Squatch031
    172 Posts
    Wed, Sep 13 2023 1:01 PM

No offense, but it sounds to me like you are complaining about not being good enough to compete. I too was frustrated at one point but spend a lot of money and time practicing.  I still get a little frustrated when playing against higher level players (>100) who have access to the best equipment but are still at the tour pro, master, etc. level where the are hitting from shorter tees.  I also realize my limitations and that I need a lot more practice if playing for bigger money in some of the tournaments.  At present, I cannot compete with those shooting in the low 50s.  I think what it comes down to is WGT needs to come up with a better handicap system but I am not sure what that should be since all can be manipulated.

• jacktrade51
    10,908 Posts
    Thu, Sep 14 2023 7:42 PM

My 2 cents:  I play regular rounds (9 or 18 holes) and associated tournaments.  Coin games are an aside.

And I have run into plenty of TM, L, and TL players who specialize in coin games who are as good or better than me.  Part of the issue is the shortened tees in many coin games.  For example, Torrey #3, I know how to play it from 194 yds, -38 feet.  Change it to 183 yds, -49 ft, different hole.

I lost 2 games yesterday in a row to TM's.  

• PAGES
RSS