Forums

Help › Forums

Discord or Discontent?

Mon, Sep 26 2022 1:40 AM (86 replies)
  • MioKontic
    4,600 Posts
    Wed, Aug 31 2022 3:40 AM

garyk49:

I sometimes leave the house and have to come back in as I forgot to take my phone with me, just in case.  Unlike younger people of today, that phone is a part of them.  Hell I still have problems locating a photo I just took!

I have a smartphone, and I always take it with me wherever I go.  But you will NEVER find me staring at it the whole journey, i.e. it is not part of me, I use it to make (or receive) phone calls if and when necessary - they are just way too small for anything else, and unfortunately far too big and heavy to put into a pocket (unless you're wearing skin-tight jeans)!  Mobile phones went from being the size of bricks (not including the antenna!), to the size of a small chocolate bar (which for me was almost perfect!), to the size of an A6 piece of paper, just very slightly thicker.

pmm711:

Sam, I'm not bashing you in any which way.  It's like MS Word and Excel...95% of all users utilize only 5% of everything those 2 platforms are capable of performing.  Think of an Excel pivot table...makes most people cringe, but, when learned, so frigg'in powerful.  MS Word...99% of people use it as a typewriter...1% do amazing things with it.

That's because 95% of users only need to utilise 5% of it's functionality.  Most people only need Word as a typewriter, and the large majority of people will never need to use a pivot table, or know what one is.  I would class myself as an intermediate to advanced Excel user, but I still only utilise maybe 5% of it's functionality, because that's all I need.  Being a programmer I have written many macros in VBA over the years, mostly to speed up tasks, or to automate repetitive tasks.  But even though it is there I suspect the Visual Basic Editor is probably used by less than 5% of users, because they are not programmers and have no need for it.

• craigswan
    31,028 Posts
    Wed, Aug 31 2022 3:40 AM
    Message to sam . Don't dwell on that post above about 95% . I find you a very upright pillar of this community and usually extremely fair and knowledgable . A little stuffy though . You need to loosen up . There are a lot worse on here i could mention but that would mean writing a list . I would be on my list .
  • MioKontic
    4,600 Posts
    Wed, Aug 31 2022 3:44 AM

twinponds169:

garyk49:
    Us old farts don't necessarily go along with all these newfangled changes.

Ditto.

Stick it where the sun don't shine..... right between apparel and coin games.

And then bury them... along with the G&A's  :)

Like I said, it's no longer a realistic golf game, just another arcade game, with the look and feel of any other arcade game.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,518 Posts
    Wed, Aug 31 2022 4:21 AM

Deleted. Something I should've sent a PM instead. Sorry.

• pmm711
    5,527 Posts
    Wed, Aug 31 2022 4:29 AM

MioKontic:

twinponds169:

garyk49:
    Us old farts don't necessarily go along with all these newfangled changes.

Ditto.

Stick it where the sun don't shine..... right between apparel and coin games.

And then bury them... along with the G&A's  :)

Like I said, it's no longer a realistic golf game, just another arcade game, with the look and feel of any other arcade game.

I think we all can agree WGT developed a golf simulator, that instead of becoming an even more stellar golf simulator, has become a Mickey Mouse Golf arcade game.  It’s gotten worse since TopGolf took over.  

One only has to go to a TopGolf facility to realize it’s a gigantic arcade golf game you walked into and became a part of…it’s not a hardcore RL golfer’s dream driving range.  It has brought the golfing experience to a broader audience.  Do these people watch the pros play…highly doubtful.  

So, TopGolf’s target audience and WGT’s target audience are vastly different.  It’s unfortunate and very disheartening that the original intended target audience no longer matters.  The Mickey Mouse Golf Club is all that matters around here anymore.

• HamdenPro
    2,423 Posts
    Wed, Aug 31 2022 8:51 AM

pmm711:
    One only has to go to a TopGolf facility to realize it’s a gigantic arcade golf game you walked into and became a part of…it’s not a hardcore RL golfer’s dream driving range.

+1

A little off course, as this thread was about Discord (good or bad), but I think it is good that Nico visits, and participates in this thread, (not to imply he, or WGT, does monitor all threads) and that any issues people have, about WGT, can be aired out. If anything,  Nico (WGT) will be aware of them.  Does not mean anything will be done, about one thing or another, but they will know.

If G & A, and other "bells & whistles" can be turned off, or on, it may resolve some problems people have. It is unfortunate that we cannot re-install the "older" version, like going from Windows 11 to Windows 10, but we cannot.

As for the overall "product", I agree that is vastly different from the days of flash. Everyone seems to want to see a more realistic golf game, yet, everyone upgrades clubs, balls, etc.. Never was this game like true life. Many members who play irl do not hit the ball as far as the starter clubs, and certainly not with such accuracy (Fairways, GIR, etc).

Realizing that the game, from the start, was not a true simulation of the game, in a sense, it was always "Mickey Mouse", without the cartoon effects (a new product recently rolled out by TopGolf). Anyone can try out other golf simulation games and decide which is better or preferred. 

pmm711:
     It’s unfortunate and very disheartening that the original intended target audience no longer matters

All games have changed over time to target the next generation. Growing up, games were for kids. With the advent of in-home video games, and eventually downloadable and online games, games were no longer for just kids. However, the target audience has always been a specific age group. As WGT is not a non-profit, it is understandably going to target that demographic group to maximize revenue. As a result, it is never going to cater to those younger, or older, as much as it will for those in the targeted group. IMHO

All we can do is try to enjoy the game as it continues to evolve, and change, to target the next generation of users.

Sux, but there it is. At some point, each user will make that decision that the game is not for them.  WGT has no incentive to "cater" to the "old timers" (just a term I use for members that have been playing a long time, and on flash). This will only change if the next generation loses interest in this game, and WGT must look for revenue from its existing membership base, like any other product seller. Given the rollout of Topgolf's new "cartoon" golf game ("Tee Time Adventures"), who knows who the next target audience for this game will be.

Just like everything else, what we play, drive, work, etc., with today is never going to be the same as it was years ago.

IMHO

So, how about that Discord?

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Wed, Aug 31 2022 3:50 PM

HamdenPro:
    Everyone seems to want to see a more realistic golf game, yet, everyone upgrades clubs, balls, etc.. Never was this game like true life. Many members who play irl do not hit the ball as far as the starter clubs, and certainly not with such accuracy (Fairways, GIR, etc)

As WGT is not a non-profit, it is understandably going to target that demographic group to maximize revenue.

All we can do is try to enjoy the game as it continues to evolve, and change

• beerstine
    674 Posts
    Wed, Aug 31 2022 3:56 PM

As for Discord...it's appropriately named.  It sows discord.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/discord

• MioKontic
    4,600 Posts
    Wed, Aug 31 2022 11:48 PM

beerstine:

As for Discord...it's appropriately named.  It sows discord.

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/discord

That's funny.  Whoever thought up the name didn't do a very good job.  Even though I never knew its meaning, the name has never sat well with me - I've always preferred Skype  :)

• craigswan
    31,028 Posts
    Thu, Sep 1 2022 4:43 AM

Discord .

a slow-building roar; a growing sense of unease or dissatisfaction..

RSS