Forums

Help › Forums

Discord or Discontent?

Mon, Sep 26 2022 1:40 AM (86 replies)
  • Cicero733
    2,298 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2022 6:48 PM

Discord does have the ability for you to do  searches and  more specific  than the forums

Yes I understand the integrated search functionality, but I have yet to initiate a search that returns anything of value. I get a listing of chat comments all not necessarily relating to the search terms. It is possible that the database on the WGT server is not mature enough yet and information contained therein is insufficient to provide meaningful results. It’s a great tool if I want to locate snippets of comments to a line that I or somebody else posted, but if I’m looking for something more substantive it’s not there yet.

• HamdenPro
    2,423 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2022 6:53 PM

garyk49:
    I originally thought I was just making a comment to some part of your post, but It now becomes more apparent as derailing, Sorry for that

No, I did not think you derailed it. The purpose of this thread was to get it all out there.

WGT has no idea how people may feel. What gave me this idea was a post in another thread, IT IS ONLY A GAME.  There was a reply about WGT not caring about the social aspect of the game.  I think that is a real concern.

I thought that a thread like this, provided Nico participated, which he has, was a good way to get it all out, all the cards on the table. An opportunity for people to express how they feel and an avenue for WGT to hear it and respond.

I think your reply was perfect.

I do believe, that with discord, you really can socialize, and see who is online, who is playing, etc..in a better way, especially being able to reply, in real time.

As for the "old farts" not going along with changes, this is something I expressed to Nico before starting this thread. I just think WGT needs better communication with the, what I call, "old timers", and they are not going to jump to discord just to get new information or seek answers to questions.  I compared it to those who still use carbon paper and typewriters making them start using PC's and laptops.

• SamSpayed
    4,910 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2022 7:01 PM

Nico, thanks for the response.  I agree with you that a response / acknowledgement from you (WGT) to user questions and issues in Discord is usually better than no response at all.

pmm711:
    If she went to work for WGT she would've sunset this forum back in June....first task...done....POOF! 

I'm glad your daughter doesn't work for WGT then.

I think both the Forums and the WGT Discord can coexist, and are better suited for different things:

Forums - Good for Q&A, tracking & running community organized events, CC recruiting, organizing discussions into topics, and sharing thoughts and advice with other players on a non-time-sensitive basis (eg. across time zones)

Discord - Good for real-time chat with other players, quicker resolution of issues during WGT business hours, and making suggestions to WGT.  You can also share thoughts and advice with other players on Discord, but you're kind of at the mercy of whoever happens to be online at the time.  Those topics tend to get buried in the chat rather quickly.

Just my thoughts.

• pmm711
    5,528 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2022 7:06 PM

HamdenPro:
    As for the "old farts" not going along with changes, this is something I expressed to Nico before starting this thread. I just think WGT needs better communication with the, what I call, "old timers", and they are not going to jump to discord just to get new information or seek answers to questions.  I compared it to those who still use carbon paper and typewriters making them start using PC's and laptops.

^^^^ Methinks you're on to something…my battle for 95% of my career.  😂👍🏻👍🏻

• pmm711
    5,528 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2022 7:24 PM

SamSpayed:
    Forums - Good for Q&A

Just sates lazy azz people...the search could get the job done

SamSpayed:
    tracking & running community organized events

Something definitely necessary and can be done via Discord too

SamSpayed:
    CC recruiting

I see so many users with 150 averages who aren't members of CCs...what are they missing?  IDK...I guess a social aspect, but look at the # of cell phones out during dinner at restaurants and at home.  Seems like more than just kids are more enamored with their virtual worlds vs their actual world they live in.  Believe me, I don't like that aspect of today's world at all...it's truly a sad state.  When will it end?  I think I'll be dead before anything major changes.

SamSpayed:
    organizing discussions into topics

Can be done via Discord

Sam, I'm not bashing you in any which way.  It's like MS Word and Excel...95% of all users utilize only 5% of everything those 2 platforms are capable of performing.  Think of an Excel pivot table...makes most people cringe, but, when learned, so frigg'in powerful.  MS Word...99% of people use it as a typewriter...1% do amazing things with it.  Everyone just has to embrace a new technology and perform wonders with it...it can be done.  Will there be friction?  Yes...but it doesn't last long.

• dhjam1
    577 Posts
    Mon, Aug 29 2022 11:37 PM

pmm711:

dhjam1:

Cicero733:

You can search the forums for that type of information, but you can’t search Discord. You can post a question on Discord and receive answers, but unless you are totally tuned in to what is being said in reply you will probably receive an answer that is less than satisfactory. 

Discord does have the ability for you to do  searches and  more specific  than the forums

^^^^ Thank you...thank you very much

You're very welcome😃

• garyk49
    2,316 Posts
    Tue, Aug 30 2022 5:36 AM

garyk49:
    And Paul, I am on the fence where games should not have their own Discord Server.  Us old farts don't necessarily go along with all these newfangled changes.

Paul, Steph, Nico, and all.  I may have misspoken here.  It is not on the fence of should not, but on the fence of I don't care if they have one.

Even at my age (almost 74) I still game, but at a more leisurely pace.(as here)  I belong to Steam, Origin, and Uplay, have games on all three, I amaze myself sometimes at the amount of games on cd, and DVDs that are here.  What I don't do, because in most cases, as it is too hectic or fast paced for me is play in Multiplayer on these games.  I play only the Single player portion, as I can play as fast or as slow as I desire.

Where that changed was in this game.  I could now play Multiplayer and meet new people.  Am I good at this game? Short answer is NO.  Can I have fun with this game?  I used to be able to.  Did WGT change that for me?  Short answer is YES.  Do I think the problem is the NEW VERISON?  Not Exactly.  WGT missed the mark, when the new verison was brought out, they ignored then and they still do today,(or appear to) the social aspect of this game.  It has been mentioned the number of cell phone users here.  Yes there are many.  They don't have time in their made up world, to play more then a couple of minutes.  Cell phones and tablets have replaced us old timers on our computers.  I understand smart cell phones are the new computers and are the new technology, trust me I understand.  Now Discord is something new for us to figure out.

I have tried to embrace this new technology and use it to the best of my ability.  But that is not good enough.  I sometimes leave the house and have to come back in as I forgot to take my phone with me, just in case.  Unlike younger people of today, that phone is a part of them.  Hell I still have problems locating a photo I just took!

We, the older generation, resist change, but do know that it is for the better.  Hell what we see today, used to be science fiction in our past.  As noted from different books read, or even just episodes of Outer Limits, or the Twilight Zone.

I guess us older generation just needs to go quietly away,(or play as best as out ability allows us to) as WGT is trying to evolve at a much faster pace than we are able to adapt to.

And, Steph, I am beyond carbon paper and typewriters(tho there is one here, from my days of working on them), but as Paul mentioned, word to me is only a place to write and excel confuses the hell out of me.  And I used to be very good with Math.  

• bossbird
    2,196 Posts
    Tue, Aug 30 2022 7:47 AM

I tried to try out discord , but deleted as I could t find anything very current. I know I had offers of help so I could try it again , but feel it’s not for me . I have just been to buy a new microwave and had to buy the cheapest just to buy simple !  I am sure those not on discord will keep up somehow , and if we don’t we can still enjoy the game . Lesley 

• HamdenPro
    2,423 Posts
    Tue, Aug 30 2022 8:35 AM

bossbird:
    I tried to try out discord , but deleted as I could t find anything very current. I know I had offers of help so I could try it again , but feel it’s not for me

I totally understand how you feel about it. I was the same way. I do not profess to "love" everything about it, but there are some areas of the WGT server that I think are beneficial. No one has to post, but I think it is a great medium to learn about the most recent updates, upcoming events and the ability to contact Nico, Champ and other WGT staff in real time and get, almost, immediate feedback

There are obvious benefits for clubs who set up their own server but given yours is such a small club (and exclusive to those of the upmost quality - LOL), it most likely will not provide you any more benefits that you already derive from the game. It is an easy way to communicate with friends (real time), but other than that, in your case, you are not really missing anything - IMO.

As for keeping up, there will always be the forum and I have no reason to believe Nico, et al, are going to abandon them. You will get all the same news those on discord do, just, maybe not as quick.

Hmmm, just had an epiphany, maybe, if WGT gives a sleeve for every friend you get to join discord...... (if that is the case, WGT server is the greatest thing there ever was and everyone should immediately sign up and tell them HP referred you.)

• craigswan
    31,028 Posts
    Tue, Aug 30 2022 9:22 AM
    This discord thingy . Can you copy and paste a meme .
RSS