Forums

Help › Forums

Downhill Elevation Calculation

Tue, Sep 13 2022 7:25 AM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • GuDGeoNaToR
    63 Posts
    Wed, Jul 27 2022 6:12 AM

So what about uphill approach shots? I've always used add 1 yard for every 3 feet of elevation. Is this correct? Is it different for irons & wedges?

• BPeterson8256
    2,908 Posts
    Wed, Jul 27 2022 7:56 AM

GuDGeoNaToR:

OK, so lets say my approach is 33 feet downhill. How much should I subtract using iron or wedge? Do I divide by 3,4 or 5? 3,5 feet = 1 yard for irons doesn't help that much. I already knew it was in that range. I just wanted to know what calculation others use. If I divide 33 by 3 I get 11, divide by 4 is 8.25, divide by 5 is 6.6 yards. Big difference.

You are trying to solve an equation without all of the information. 

Having a basic calculation for elevation is only a start. The ball you are using, the club you are using, the spin you use, the wind speed, the wind direction, the course, and the hole you are on will all make a difference. Occasionally that difference is not noticeable, but on some holes it makes a huge difference.

There is no perfect calculation for all situations. Good notes or memory is crucial to consistency, along with having played all the different shots to learn them.

• TheDudemeister69
    1,564 Posts
    Wed, Jul 27 2022 11:20 AM

GuDGeoNaToR:

maoriand1:

3,5ft =1 yrd for irons.

4,5ft =1 yrd  for wedges

Does that mean 3 to 5 feet = 1 yard for irons or 3.5 feet = 1 yard? That comma is confusing.

Use of a comma instead of a period is customary in many places in the world, though it looks strange to us (Canadian / American).  In this case, 3,5 feet is what you and I would type as 3.5 feet.

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,504 Posts
    Thu, Jul 28 2022 2:52 AM

TheDudemeister69:
    Use of a comma instead of a period is customary in many places in the world, though it looks strange to us (Canadian / American).  In this case, 3,5 feet is what you and I would type as 3.5 feet.

This can be commonly observed in Latin languages such as French, Spanish, Italian or Portuguese in particular.

Now that it's brought up, it's funny I would say "trois virgule cinq pieds" verbally but still write "3.5 pieds" or even "3.5 ft" LOL which can be considered an "anglicisme", I guess.

And I completely forgot about it in a distant memory, but this also reminded me that up until l'école secondaire et le cégep, I was taught and used to leave a space in lieu of a thousands separator comma when writing large numbers.

• TheDudemeister69
    1,564 Posts
    Thu, Jul 28 2022 6:41 AM

SimonTheBeetle:
    ...I was taught and used to leave a space in lieu of a thousands separator comma when writing large numbers.

Now that you mention it, I remember that too.

• GuDGeoNaToR
    63 Posts
    Sat, Jul 30 2022 11:21 AM

maoriand1:

3,5ft =1 yrd for irons.

4,5ft =1 yrd  for wedges

Hey maoriand1, what about uphill shots? What calculations do you use? Is it different for wedges like downhill? Also, do you make the same elevation adjustments for flop shots or is that different? Thanks :)

• Car24Fan
    7 Posts
    Tue, Sep 13 2022 7:25 AM

Also, what about woods.

• PAGES
RSS