new laptop - "jumpy" graphics/gameplay

rated by 0 users
Fri, Feb 3 2023 3:40 PM (15 replies)
  • PAGES
  • gjs93
    7 Posts
    Fri, Jul 1 2022 5:48 AM

hi

recently got a new laptop but when i start a round using the windows app, the graphics are quite jumpy when hitting a shot when it changes the camera angle. is this something to do with the app settings that im missing? or the graphics card?

laptop is an i5-11357g7, 8gb ram, intel irisXe graphics.

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Fri, Jul 1 2022 6:59 AM

Which brand, model?

• gjs93
    7 Posts
    Fri, Jul 1 2022 9:07 AM

Asus Expertbook B1500

• Duphpherer
    440 Posts
    Fri, Jul 1 2022 9:40 AM

A quick google search says your laptop is a stable durable business laptop and not ideal for gaming. Perhaps if you keep playing, stored cache may help load pages. Is the swing meter still smooth?

In game you can lower resolution and turn off shadows. 

• Yiannis1970
    3,269 Posts
    Fri, Jul 1 2022 9:50 AM

Your laptop is more than fine to run without problems the game.

Check if the native resolution of the monitor is the recommended one.

Are you playing window or fullscreen? At what resolution?

Go to your GPU and update it to the latest drivers.

Check your PC if you have overheating problems. In case you have, this will help you:

https://www.skroutz.gr/c/712/vaseis-docking-stations-laptops/f/1411118/Cooling-Pad.html

• ScottHope
    10,092 Posts
    Fri, Jul 1 2022 10:12 AM

I was going to suggest the same as Duphpherer, allowing the game a little time to download all the assets.

As the laptop is new, maybe it's downloading and installing program or OS updates and that is causing the jumpiness.

I'm not convinced that Windows always installs the most up-to-date drivers for things. So you could check Asus' website to see if there are any updates for your machine, especially graphics drivers as Yiannis suggested.

• Cicero733
    2,293 Posts
    Fri, Jul 1 2022 11:24 AM

I'm not convinced that Windows always installs the most up-to-date drivers for things. So you could check Asus' website to see if there are any updates for your machine, especially graphics drivers as Yiannis suggested.

No convincing needed. It’s a known fact I believe. Usually within a weeks or two of acquisition, any new computer running Windows I have purchased has either downloaded new drivers (especially printer and video) automatically or I have done so as part of a process of manually verifying version numbers.

• gjs93
    7 Posts
    Fri, Jul 1 2022 1:13 PM

thanks for the replies guys.

swing meter is fine, graphics driver says is up to date although using DriverEasy that says it needs updated so doing that and will see if that makes any difference.

playing windowed, 1920x1080 to go with the recommended settings the laptop is already using. have tried a couple of other online games and there was no problem, only on WGT.

its not making the game unplayable, just confused why the jumping/flickering is happening.

• HackWilson1930
    1,437 Posts
    Fri, Jul 1 2022 1:36 PM

Try 1366m X 768 resolution. 

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,502 Posts
    Fri, Jul 1 2022 2:11 PM

Do you multi-task when playing WGT?

If you don't, open Task Manager and check if any other programs are running in the background, eating up lots of CPU and/or RAM resources without you knowing it. If so, suspect a virus infection and make sure of it with an anti-virus app/software (although it's very unlikely since your laptop is brand new).

I'm suggesting this based on my own experience. When multiple programs run all at the same time, the swing meter, avatar motions and ball flight all get much less smooth even though my device like yours is more than enough to play this game.

Good luck and cheers.

• PAGES
RSS