Forums

Help › Forums

$200 million to join saudi tour .

Wed, Feb 15 2023 8:47 AM (140 replies)
  • craigswan
    30,837 Posts
    Tue, Jun 7 2022 2:04 AM

Good pay day for phil and the other golden oldies .

Phil Mickelson Thumbs Up GIF by Callaway Golf

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,468 Posts
    Tue, Jun 7 2022 3:04 AM

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Tue, Jun 7 2022 3:45 AM

Apparently, Tiger Woods turned down a $billion to join. I guess he realized that (like most of them) he will never spend in a dozen lifetimes what he has now, and instead preferred to protect his PGA tour legacy.

• craigswan
    30,837 Posts
    Tue, Jun 7 2022 4:01 AM
    Two-time major champion Dustin Johnson has resigned his membership of the PGA Tour in order to play in the Saudi-funded LIV Golf Invitational Series. The former world number one will play all eight events of the fledgling $255m (£200m) series, which starts on Thursday at Centurion Club, London. Johnson, 37, joined the PGA Tour in 2007 and has won $74m in his career. "I don't want to play for the rest of my life, this gives me an opportunity to do what I want to do," he said.
  • DodgyPutter
    4,690 Posts
    Tue, Jun 7 2022 4:55 AM

From The Guardian:

In his role as chief executive of the LIV, Greg Norman has also done his own legacy and the series he fronts few favours, not least because he seems incapable of promoting it without sticking both his feet in his own mouth. Speaking at a promotional event in the UK last month, the Australian was quizzed about the death of Khashoggi and issued a response that prompted outrage. “Look, we’ve all made mistakes and you just want to learn by those mistakes and how you can correct them going forward,” he said, seemingly comparing the brutal murder and subsequent dismemberment of the Washington Post journalist to a missed tiddler on 18 or a final-round collapse at the 1996 Masters.

Hardly renowned on the Tour as the archetypal family man, Johnson had his agent announce it was in “his and his family’s best interest” for him to defect to the LIV Series, even if it might mean the end of his time on the PGA Tour. McDowell, with career winnings of more than $35m, stated that he had “decided that following the LIV opportunity was best for me and my family” even if it is likely to cost the 42-year-old future captaincy of the European Ryder Cup team.

With its wacky format and field of has-beens and might-never-bes, the inaugural LIV tournament has failed to attract the interest of any major television networks, but continues to generate almost exclusively negative headlines due in no small part to the source of the obscene amounts of money on offer to those willing to play in it.

While the world’s elite golfers have thus far given it a wide berth, we can presume they will be taking a keen interest in goings-on in Hertfordshire next weekend while they are contesting the RBC Canadian Open. A tournament much higher in prestige, that will take a lot more winning, those competing in it will be acutely aware that its $8.7m purse is a pittance compared to the riches on offer elsewhere for what amounts to morally questionable but far less difficult work.

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Tue, Jun 7 2022 5:28 AM

craigswan:
    Two-time major champion Dustin Johnson has resigned his membership of the PGA Tour in order to play in the Saudi-funded LIV Golf Invitational Series. The former world number one will play all eight events of the fledgling $255m (£200m) series, which starts on Thursday at Centurion Club, London. Johnson, 37, joined the PGA Tour in 2007 and has won $74m in his career. "I don't want to play for the rest of my life, this gives me an opportunity to do what I want to do," he said.

Which begs the question, exactly what can't he currently do with $74 million? (plus continued endorsements). How many Ferraris does one need?

Whatever, I'm fairly certain his trophy wife won't be trapsing around in micro mini skirts and thong bikinis in Saudi Arabia...lol (kinda too bad, actually)

• callaghan159
    6,216 Posts
    Tue, Jun 7 2022 6:26 AM

ct690911:
    How many Ferraris does one need?

I got 8....one for each day of the week.

• ander101
    390 Posts
    Tue, Jun 7 2022 7:16 AM

Reasons to join LIV 

My yacht is too small.

My house is too big.

My ex-wife & yard need a face lift.

My girlfriend needs bigger buoys. 

• craigswan
    30,837 Posts
    Tue, Jun 7 2022 11:58 AM

Why say no to easy money i suppose .

You don't even need to win just turn up .

None of them are going to win a major again .

Better than waiting on the over 50's season .

• ct690911
    7,190 Posts
    Tue, Jun 7 2022 1:00 PM

"Why say no to easy money i suppose ."

A lot of people would probably agree with you, Craig.  I'm just an old soldier, not a multi-millionaire golfer, but I wouldn't sell my integrity at any price.

RSS