Forums

Help › Forums

Add a tier, change the prizes, or get rid of Weekly 9 Hole Tourneys

rated by 0 users
Mon, Dec 14 2009 10:23 AM (6 replies)
  • cjfelton
    79 Posts
    Sun, Dec 13 2009 5:08 AM

I have posted on this subject before, but something needs to change.  I just posted a 30 on the Week 50 9 Hole Tournament.  Feeling pretty good because I played a near perfect round, I check the Leaderboard and find I am tied for ..... 85th!  I don't play for the prizes or awards, but come on WGT.  There are way too many Masters.  Give us decent Masters a shot at something for a great round, or eliminate the tournament.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Sun, Dec 13 2009 7:36 AM

It could be worse. If you were a pro, the 30 would have you tied for 20th or tied for 4th in the amateur tier. There are perhaps 75 other masters who fired a 30 along with yours but they are all quiet.

• gaoerfuqiu
    443 Posts
    Sun, Dec 13 2009 7:56 AM

I do like the idea of splitting players into more specialized "tiers" for tournaments and/or in general; this is an idea I had earlier.

• SMC1967
    41 Posts
    Sun, Dec 13 2009 8:35 AM

I agree at the Moment, I am very discouraged about even trying a tournament. I remember even way back when I was a Handicap of 18 I could enter USGA tournaments with at least a hope a winning somthing. Your Going to have to Flight Out Players in More groups. No other way around it. The Lower the Flight the better the prizes. Flat Out! If there is so many people playing, then Touraments have to be limited to a smaller group. No way around this. People will have to pay to enter even if it is twenty five cents. From someone with a life time of playing and drinking golf.

• BOFFMEN
    337 Posts
    Sun, Dec 13 2009 9:34 AM

CJ, as you probably know, you are tied for 6th...

(in an unlimited play free tournament)...not 88 or whatever it is now...

That's a very good round and as the rules state:

"In the event of a tie, the participant that entered the Competition earlier will earn the WGT Credits."

I don't play for prizes or awards either (... of course I do ...I just don't win...LOL)...so it would appear that you may want to rethink your post since the court of public opinion would not rule in your favor.

• BlackDragon84
    21 Posts
    Sun, Dec 13 2009 4:20 PM

Sooner or later WGT is going to need to alter their prize-distribution model.  Top-70 works well for real tournaments as well as not-all-that-popular simulation tournaments, but what happens when fifty thousand people compete in a single tournament?  The lowest credit payout would be won by someone in the top 0.2% and everyone below that would get nothing.

Percentage-based is the way to go, in my opinion, with the total purse determined by how many folks complete the tournament.  The prize for finishing 20th in a field of 100 should be less than the prize for finishing 20th in a field of 10000.

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Mon, Dec 14 2009 10:23 AM

Thanks for all your feedback. We are continuously looking at credit distribution and working on features and adjustments that would spread credits out more evenly. Look for some of these features in upcoming releases.

RSS