372 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2009 4:46 PM

Congratulations and Good Luck !

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2009 4:56 PM

mefitz:
    Congratulations and Good Luck !

Thanks a lot mefitz. I'm off to play my first round.

My first round as a master was a 36 at Kiawah back 9. I was using a Taylormade tour burner pro driver. Most approach shots where in the 145yard range, +/- a few yards.

I don't see any possible way to reach some of the holes in two at Bethpage with a pro driver from the master tee box.

Thanks everyone.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2009 7:03 PM

birdwell:
    but the difference between the trajectory of the G10 and R9 3w is astounding.

I bought the Rapture V2 3w, and let me say it's characteristics are outstanding across the hitting range. I just trickled off the back of the green at the par 5, 3rd at Kiawah. It was hit  just a little to hard.

I imagine when I get my new driver, eagles are going to be more prevalent too.

The feedback so far, tells me to get the G10.

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Tue, Dec 8 2009 5:13 AM

I`m intrigued by the performance of the V2 3w. I haven`t used one since turning master. I opted for the longest HB (Ping master G10-220yds.) because of the versatility it offered. That`s to say, even with the G10 master driver, my driving acc. is terrible and the HB can be used very effectively out of the rough. This also allows me to carry an extra wedge for up-close work.

As a side note I`ll say; Don`t be too intimidated by the master tees length. I say this because I found myself playing last weeks 9 hole single play(KI front 9) just after playing a few ctth rounds..... Yes, I forgot to change clubs and balls out Before playing. I had 3 HBs and 2 wedges, no driver. After a fair amount of groaning and eye rolling I grit my teeth and played it out....turned in a 32 !  Not bad for a 220yd driver(HB) in high winds. I`m just glad it wasn`t BB under any conditions!

I remember, when I first played off the master tees, a feeling of relief , like being in a front seat adjusted all the way forward and finally moving it all the way back so I could stretch out and relax. Enjoyable!....so...Enjoy !

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Tue, Dec 8 2009 6:13 AM

mefitz:
    like being in a front seat adjusted all the way forward and finally moving it all the way back so I could stretch out and relax. Enjoyable!....so...Enjoy !

I concur totally mefitz. It's like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders in a sense. I went ahead and got the G10 driver. It's not bad, but it sounds awful. Not like my tour burner, it sounds like your knocking the cover off the ball when you hit it.

Thanks for all the tips everyone.

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Tue, Dec 8 2009 7:16 AM

On a four day golfing trip, a friend of mine was So hungover for his 7am. tee time, that he decided to leave the head cover on his driver to dampen the noise factor. I guess you could try that, lol.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Tue, Dec 8 2009 4:06 PM

After playing a few rounds with my new G10 master driver, I've come to the conclusion, that for me it's a little unforgiving. Miss hits by as much as 2 to 4 MM either way; made a considerable difference in deviation. It has descent length; but I haven't been able to open it up because of wind direction. I've driven the ball around 305 yards so far, not on average.

The club sounds a little wimpy too. I thought it would have the sound of something like someone crushing a ball 350 yards, being it's the master driver.

Not a bad driver considering performance, and price, and it gets the job done too.

Play well all.

• scoresby
    158 Posts
    Tue, Dec 8 2009 5:14 PM

Richard4168:
    Miss hits by as much as 2 to 4 MM either way; made a considerable difference in deviation.

I've read somewhere that you should clear cache with new clubs.  Something about new specs.

Not sure if it applies here, but give it a go.

Cheers,

• jayjonbeach
    689 Posts
    Sat, Feb 20 2010 1:42 AM

thunderbird:

I have owned both and played with both extensively.  I have found the R9 to be longer and even on mishits it still goes farther than the Ping.  As for accuracy the Ping is very accurate but you are not hitting to a pin but to a fairway with a driver.  So the real question is how much accuracy is really needed.  As for forgiveness I have found the Taylormade to be more forgiving distance wise wow I found the Ping to be more forgiving in directional.  Thats just my two cents.

I know most Masters have the R9 but the above comment and some other things about the game have me wondering. 

I've been in the rough in BPB enough to know I dont want to be there and I'm going to turn Master soon and will need to make this choice.

" I found the Ping to be more forgiving in directional"  this part of the comment above is what I wonder about.

Which driver is truly more forgiving on mishits for left to right flight.....?  (I've learnt that the proshop specs are not always accurate) 

It also makes me wonder too when you see how precision and forgiveness are defined in the FAQ, basically seemingly making the precision more important and when you mishit, its the precision and distance that is affected depending on the forgiveness, so lower precision in the first place might be affected more since its already lower, if that makes any sense....

Our WGTNiv also said something earlier today which had me thinking to, higher precision will see less deviation on dinged shots where as higher forgiveness will help more on the mishit shots.....

I am hoping with the rental club option I can try both but I'm not very keen at all on paying to rent these clubs just to try them, a driving range and putting green would have been much more practical for shopping purposes IMO, hopefully its a very nominal charge.

• GITrDONE
    701 Posts
    Sat, Feb 20 2010 7:02 AM

It just depends on how well you can handle the faster meter.I have an 82.78% driving accuracy with the R9 Master Driver.Absolutely love it, love it, love it.

It's like going first class or coach.By the way I never flew first class until I got the R9

Now we up in the big leagues,getting our turn at the best, as long as we live ,it's you and me baby(R9) and there ain't nothing wrong with that...

RSS