Forums

Help › Forums

The R9 vs.G10 for Master's

Wed, Feb 24 2010 5:36 AM (30 replies)
  • Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2009 6:45 AM

I started this thread to discuss the pros and cons of these drivers. Other people write about these drivers in other threads. I couldn't find a thread dedicated to this topic.

My take is on the surface, because I'm not a master, yet. I like the R9 for the max distance it has, but it doesn't look very forgiving. The G10 is a little more forgiving, but sacrifices a small amount of distance.

I played a practice round from the master tee's using my Taylor made, Tour burner driver during the rounds. Max distance on that tour burner driver is 250yds. On Bethpage back nine, I bogeyed every hole except two, 16 and 18. I played the back nine at Kiawah, and shot par on every hole except one, hole 17 where I double bogeyed. I did manage to have four birdie opportunities at Kiawah, but couldn't capitalize on them. I imagine everyone's results will vary.

One of these drivers will be imperative after becoming a master at WGT. Pro drivers will work to a degree from the master tees, but then again, it might be like playing with starters all over again in that situation.

I hope everyone weighs in on this discussion.  

Play well.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2009 9:20 AM

Richard-I can only speak about the R9 because I've never owned the G10. I will tell you it does not forgive a lot but it crushes.  By the pro shop specs the R9 is more forgiving than the G10 but I believe there was a discussion about the specs not being accurate when the club first came out. You might search that out. GL

YJ

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2009 9:42 AM

Right on YJ

Thanks.

• resozv
    895 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2009 9:50 AM
    Richard, Almost every Master I play, that has a G10, tells me the same thing ... "willing to give up some distance for more accuracy". Just like YankeeJim said, pro shop specs seem a bit off.
  • mefitz
    372 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2009 11:09 AM

I replied to the "struggling to get from pro to master" thread yesterday basically concerning this aspect.

In short, my experience is that the Ping is A LOT more forgiving than the TM whatever the Pro Shop specs say ( They`ve been wrong before ! ). I`ll trade 5yds any day for driving accuracy!! Of coarse if WGT brings in a "master Rapture" club to the picture it will change everything.

BTW- My experience was as a pro with these clubs and I stuck to the Ping brand after becoming a master with no regrets. GL

PS- It really doesn`t matter what you scored (concerning drivers) but what your Driving Accuracy was! Check out the stats on the score card after any given round to get a good idea how well you drove the ball with that specific driver. Remember that par 3s are not counted in this spec.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2009 11:33 AM

mefitz:
    I replied to the "struggling to get from pro to master" thread

Hey mefitz,

Thanks for the feedback on these drivers. I'm most likely going with the R9 for max distance. It would be nice to test drive them first.

I thought I would start a thread specific to this topic. The thread your talking about did have some useful information though. Sometimes a question, or answer can get lost in the shuffle.

• SweetiePie
    4,925 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2009 2:05 PM
    So far, the G10 Master driver has provided some positive and negative results all caused by me. In one week of use my driving accuracy has gone from 93.7% to 93.4% and still dropping. It is extremely accurate, to the point that it seems to defy the wind effect. It will produce most drives in the area of 275 to 290 range, many at 300 and the best, so far, just under 320. In the case of mishits, its justice is inflexable. You no longer gently roll just off fairway into the 15%-25% rough. Always into 40%-50% rough, if lucky. Normal mishits transport the ball into very deep rough, weeds, etc. I will stay with it though...for now. ~SP~
  • birdwell
    561 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2009 2:39 PM

The major difference is LOFT.

The PING Master set all have a high loft.

I do not have direct experience with the G10 Master driver, but the difference between the trajectory of the G10 and R9 3w is astounding. The G10 3W simply seems more usable to me. With it, you can sometimes go for the green at  Kia. #2 in two without fear of hitting the lip of the bunker and having your ball rocket out of bounds (which happens a lot with the R9 - in my hands anyway.. lol)

I would rather keep my drives low in most circumstances, so I have no reason the try the G10 driver.

...however

I have once or twice carried the bunkers on BPB #9 on the drive in the right wind, with the R9. (Yes, I am talking master tees here!) I would postulate that this would actually be easier with the G10 driver, due to it's loft, regardless of it's specified distance.

Any one wanna spot me 800 cr so I can test this? lol.

• thunderbird
    381 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2009 4:40 PM

I have owned both and played with both extensively.  I have found the R9 to be longer and even on mishits it still goes farther than the Ping.  As for accuracy the Ping is very accurate but you are not hitting to a pin but to a fairway with a driver.  So the real question is how much accuracy is really needed.  As for forgiveness I have found the Taylormade to be more forgiving distance wise wow I found the Ping to be more forgiving in directional.  Thats just my two cents.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Mon, Dec 7 2009 4:43 PM

Thanks for the feedback guys, and gals.

It's going to be very useful information indeed. I just made master.

It was Kiawah back nine. I shot -4. Matter of fact, I birdied the first four holes. I thought I was going to run the course.

I feel like celebrating. I bought the Rapture V2 pro irons, played them for about a week, and the rest they say is history. I priced the real V2 Raptures at Golfsmith.com. They want $1399.00 for the 4-pw.

Thanks for all the tips and feedback everyone.

Play well.

RSS