Forums

Help › Forums

If a member received a possible Death Threat,

Thu, Oct 27 2011 4:31 PM (28 replies)
  • Oldstir
    434 Posts
    Sun, Oct 23 2011 7:15 PM

shouldn't WGT owner Chad Nelson personally handle such an incident?

• Pryke
    295 Posts
    Mon, Oct 24 2011 2:26 AM

No, I don't believe its neccessary for the owner to personally handle that situation. It, however, would be very good if he did. Showing he cared about the users of his site, but I believe any employee of the site should be able to sort the situation.

I'm assuming this has happened to yourself, in which case what would you like to see happen? Has the perpertrator had his account disabled? Are they making sure he doesn't open another account and continue any abuse?

I would be more concerned in what they were doing about the player rather than who is doing it.

Sorry this has happened and I hope you get a satisfactory result.

Cheers

P

• Oldstir
    434 Posts
    Tue, Oct 25 2011 8:24 AM

The employees never returned my calls and they refused repeated requests to speak to the owner.  So that ptretty much sums up how much "they" care about something as serious as a possible death threat?  In fact, no one even apologized on behalf of wgt for the incident nor offered any kind of compensation.

Pryke:
    I would be more concerned in what they were doing about the player rather than who is doing it.

WGT policy does not allow the victim to know what they 'do' about an abuser nor is anyone allowed to confront the abuser.  If you do confront the abuser, then WGT gives You a Warning, not the abuser. :)  So all you can do is file a police report naming the abuser (with a screenshot for proof) and take all the abuse any members choose to dish out to anyone.  For all "we" know, they probably just read the hundreds of complaints and enjoy a good laugh over all the hate-mongering which plagues their site? :)

But the Game is good fun, so you simply have to take the good with the bad and if someone does get murdered, then maybe they might think about some constructive policy changes?

• MentalChaos
    141 Posts
    Tue, Oct 25 2011 10:10 AM

Well from what I understand, nobody on here knows where you live, unless YOU tell them, (or give them a way of finding out ie: your IP address that they could run a trace on and find you).. So if you were stupid enough to tell a random stranger where you live on a virtual golf game so that they COULD come kill you, then YOUR THE IDIOT... otherwise, they have no idea how to find you so get over it.

• Pryke
    295 Posts
    Wed, Oct 26 2011 11:57 AM

Oldstir:

WGT policy does not allow the victim to know what they 'do' about an abuser 

That is poor from WGT. I believe you should be allowed, in fact they should be telling you, about the consequences on a matter like this. You want to know that you can play in peace. 

• russellfahey
    4,286 Posts
    Wed, Oct 26 2011 12:21 PM

lol i gotta agree with what Mental has said,seriously although any form of abuse shouldn't be tolerated i do feel your being a bit over dramatic,compensation? wait till someone gets murdered on this site b4 they make a policy change? i very much doubt any of the points that you mentioned will ever happen.

RUSSELL

• MBaggese
    15,367 Posts
    Wed, Oct 26 2011 12:52 PM

Reminds me of one of my first MPC games.

I birdied the first hole (Kaiwah), opponent parred.

2nd I birdied, opponnent parred

3rd he drove thru the Fairway in the heavier stuff, then wanted to drop the match.

I said no.

He then went on to tell me "he'd find me", "I drive a Harley".

I told him to message me when he got to California and we'd go from there.

Really folks, threats, bad language, etc., is just a ruse to take you out of your game.

• Oldstir
    434 Posts
    Wed, Oct 26 2011 1:36 PM

MentalChaos:
    if you were stupid enough to tell a random stranger where you live

If You are stupid enough not to read that nobody said anything about "telling a stranger anything", then perhaps YOUR THE IDIOT? As well, that was not the Topic of this Post.  So I respectfully suggest You pay attention to the "topics" and keep your juvenile sarcasm to your Self and try to "get over your self" and try talking about what you know, not what you wish you knew? :)

That is of course, IF you can understand?

• Oldstir
    434 Posts
    Wed, Oct 26 2011 2:01 PM

russellfahey:
    i very much doubt any of the points that you mentioned will ever happen.

No offense but if you're that naïve to think that someone cannot track down and find Anyone on the Interent with Today's technology, that's about as ignorant as it gets perhaps IMO? :)

But by all means, you and Mental are certainly entitled to have a good LOL about "death threats".  Just don't waste any more of "your" unsubstantiated IFFY nonsense on my topics or I'll report you for abuse. Thanks very much and I'm not interested in Anything Else you Two have to say either. Bless you both though. :)

• Oldstir
    434 Posts
    Wed, Oct 26 2011 2:29 PM

Pryke:
    That is poor from WGT. I believe you should be allowed, in fact they should be telling you, about the consequences on a matter like this. You want to know that you can play in peace. 

I completely agree with you but like adage goes: "you can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink". :) Common sense, kindness and fair play are traits you have to learn but greed and hate-mongering come naturally. :)

So I still maintain that WGT should abolish the Wall posting feature and allow members to communicate Privately which would virtually solve almost the entire 'hate messaging problems"?  And if people want to send hate messages to each other "privately", go right ahead if that's the best kind of human they can be? But at least allow All members to BLOCK messages from anyone they choose.  Problem Solved! :)

That's how 99% of other Forums work but I have no idea why WGT chose to make Everyone's comments Public?  Makes no sense to me whatsoever?  PUBLIC forums invite hatred.  Period!

RSS