Forums

Help › Forums

Why doesn't the flop shot spin

Mon, Nov 30 2009 2:56 PM (4 replies)
  • igiveup
    110 Posts
    Thu, Nov 26 2009 12:38 AM
    I just played with a S series ball and whenever I hit the flop shot it doesn't spin even though I have moved to spin to to the bottom, I can get a hybrid to spin from 220 metres but a full swing flop won't spin from 22 metres.
  • AdamTurner
    103 Posts
    Fri, Nov 27 2009 7:50 PM

Answer: Trajectory and momentum. The 2 worst enemies of spin.

You can attempt to counter these forces with better clubs and balls, but physics is physics. You can only fight nature so far.

• igiveup
    110 Posts
    Mon, Nov 30 2009 11:23 AM
    Thanks for the information adam, but I think you've forhotten ont physics basic premise,,,, Gravity Sucks,.,,, Which still doesn't answewr the problem.. Full swing Flop and the ball doesn't spin... if its full swing surely the angular momentum is greatest? The loft of my club is 60 degrees...
  • jeffdos924
    1,085 Posts
    Mon, Nov 30 2009 11:49 AM

It's because hitting a flop shot opens the clubface so much.  Spin comes from hitting down on the ball.  The flop shot mainly slides under the ball to get the lift instead of the ball riding up the clubface like a normal strike would. The seriously open clubface is also the reason you have to aim so far to the left when you flop.

• jimjam114
    68 Posts
    Mon, Nov 30 2009 2:56 PM
    jeffdos924 u are correct flop shots( to describe another way ) push the ball = nospin chip shot hits down under and through the ball = spin thats why clu faces have impressions on them hope this helps peace jimjam114
RSS