Help › Forums

PCEA Community Update August 2020

Sun, Nov 22 2020 8:49 AM (46 replies)
  • Kenher01
    1,151 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2020 11:52 AM

pecanvalley:

To Scotthope:

Yes I have tried the "windows display mode" and I have changed the resolution and the problem with both is, the screen pulls in from the sides and blocks out  tool bar across the bottom so I can not see button for "friends, Country club etc".  I do get a tool bar at the top of the screen but all that is there is the "X" button .   Any help here?

Also, is there any way to "message" your Friends in the PCEA version?  I have looked everywhere I can find and do not see any way to send a message from friend to friend or another player.    Any advise?

Thanks for your help.

George

Bit of confusion here,

You' couldn't message on Flash (Gameclient) either, it was & still is https://www.wgt.com/home.aspx (Home Page) that we could/can message from & that will continue to be the case (confirmed by WGT), why would we want to add messaging to the playing side (NV) & possibly mess up the good Meter we have.

Ken

• SimonTheBeetle
    3,520 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2020 12:46 PM

Kenher01:
    why would we want to add messaging to the playing side (NV) & possibly mess up the good Meter we have.

Very good point right here. Just the mere thought of it terrifies me!

Here is another thing. Champ and WGT staff, I know you guys are reading all this here so PLEASE! I'm not trying to denigrate your hard work, but I firmly believe you should really put a lot of effort into the "look" of the game.

The new version wasn't this bad when I first started playing it back in 2015 but to be completely honest with you, now it looks like a cheap SIM-style casual game for teenagers. Seriously, turkey hat?! Jester hat?! Heart/champagne/turkey/firecracker ball effects?! Whose ideas are all these, no I'd better ask, who approves them??

Frankly I prefer the old avatar over the new one. Notice how obnoxiously bigger it's become? The old one was already considerably bigger than the flash avatar to start with and now that you made it even bigger, the avatar is out of proportion with the rest of images in the game. Don't you just see it?????? Didn't you guys claim that you were going to make the most realistic golf game possible?! What happened to that motto? WGT, let's go back to the basics... That's what you need right now. PLEASE!

• RedRockster
    692 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2020 2:09 PM

don't mistake sending a message to another player during game play with ability to just send the message from the friend list.  The friend list isn't available during game play anyway.  

In addition,  on the Flash version if a player gets an invite during the game, we had the ability to type in a custom reply.  Now all we get is 3 useless replies that don't mean a lot.  So if i'm on the green of the 8th hole for example,  I would like to indicate that rather than just dissing the invite.  I hear a lot of complaints about this.

Paul

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2020 2:11 PM

SimonTheBeetle:
    Frankly I prefer the old avatar over the new one.

Me, too. I can get used to all the other differences but don't understand why the avatar has to be so clunky. Is this a Flash advantage, being able to render avatars more realistically? Or just inept programmers....

• pecanvalley
    2,197 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2020 3:38 PM

Ken,

I was not aware that that was the case.  Excuse my ignorance. And my question did not request adding this to the game side either.

So you are saying that in order to message a "Friend" that player MUST be a member of the same club you belong too?  And to reach that individual we have to go thru the CC button in the PCEA version, click on the "club forum" button, which will take us to the WGT web site, them select that individual from the list of club members to send a message via their home page. Right?

Or, if the person is NOT a member of our club, we would have to go the WGT Home page, search the entire list of WGT members, locate that person, got to their home page and message them from there. Right?

Seem some what labors to me, but if that is the process, that is the process.

Or have I missed something here.  Please advise.

George

• Kenher01
    1,151 Posts
    Sun, Nov 1 2020 4:04 PM

pecanvalley:

Ken,

I was not aware that that was the case.  Excuse my ignorance. And my question did not request adding this to the game side either.

So you are saying that in order to message a "Friend" that player MUST be a member of the same club you belong too?  And to reach that individual we have to go thru the CC button in the PCEA version, click on the "club forum" button, which will take us to the WGT web site, them select that individual from the list of club members to send a message via their home page. Right?

Or, if the person is NOT a member of our club, we would have to go the WGT Home page, search the entire list of WGT members, locate that person, got to their home page and message them from there. Right?

Seem some what labors to me, but if that is the process, that is the process.

Or have I missed something here.  Please advise.

George

Hi George, 

No worries, easy to mix up WGT.Com with Gameclient (Flash) & glad to hear you didn't request adding to game side, less is more/the more streamlined the better.

I never said anything about being a member of the same club, same club or not once someone was on your Friends list you could PM them on WGT.Com (Not Flash, never could) but don't know about you but to me that was always slow, many use Skype, Messenger, Telegram, Whatsapp, we ourselves use Discord.

You are correct that was always the process, if they add it they add it to NV, on one hand it will be handy but my only worry would be more resources & how this may affect the Meter.

I guess we'll all watch this space & see what happens, in the meantime hit em straight & long.

Ken

• ScottHope
    10,130 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2020 1:37 AM

pecanvalley:
    Yes I have tried the "windows display mode"  [...].  Any help here?

You can get the game into fullscreen without using the games own fullscreen option, by using the task manager instead. Have a read of THIS to find out more. This method will cover your taskbar, but it is much more user friendly than the games own fullscreen option and you can access other programs by using the task switcher (ALT + TAB) without minimising the game.

pecanvalley:
    Also, is there any way to "message" your Friends in the PCEA version?

As far as I am aware that is not possible.

• ScottHope
    10,130 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2020 5:37 AM

Adding to the recent comments in this thread about the PCEA avatar and the general consensus about his size, *ahem*, I thought I would have a go at measuring him.

Using my trusty old CorelDRAW, I drew a line next to him, then drew another line exactly the same length, and placed it on the ground and then measured that using the putting grid.

At a rough guess, I would say that he is at least 6' 6" and that is while hunched over for a putt. Maybe I should have done it without the baseball cap, but I don't think that adds a great deal, if anything. 

6' 6" is way over the average height for a man, even with pumps and a baseball cap.

• Kenher01
    1,151 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2020 6:13 AM

Scott,

He's just a freak of nature! ;)

Just curious as to how vertically challenged the Flash Avatar is!?

Ken

• dedBuNNy
    1,919 Posts
    Mon, Nov 2 2020 6:16 AM

YankeeJim:

SimonTheBeetle:
    Frankly I prefer the old avatar over the new one.

Me, too. I can get used to all the other differences but don't understand why the avatar has to be so clunky. Is this a Flash advantage, being able to render avatars more realistically? Or just inept programmers....

The NV of the game utilizes Unity5 , there's absolutely no excuse for it to look the way it does. It's not inept programmers Jim, my guess would simply be money. ;) In the Flash version the avatars are pre-rendered graphic assets, Flash isn't rendering 3D elements in realtime, Unity, NRE, they have rendering engines, if you choose to use them that is.

Creating the avatars would require people who know how to use 3D software (Maya, Blender, ZBrush etc) Those people cost money, as do other skilled coders who work in the gaming industry. I mean they could have even just contracted that part out, reasonable rate, hell a 3rd year design student could create characters 10 times nicer than what is currently in the game. 

Same for swing mechanics and the games complete lack of any physics engines. Ridiculous to try and bill the game as 'realistic', it's as far from realism as you can get in a golf 'sim'. I mean there's still no actual shot shaping options in the game, like wtf? Really? Backspin is still just a 'dot movement', there should be tempo/CHS options when setting your shot and open/closing the face. Like actual golf, if you're going for realism that is. Given the platform being used now, none of that is really all that complicated or extreme. 

If the game incorporated physics engines, they could do away with the idiotic VEM program and really make the game interesting. Of course that would render most of the 'tools and aides' people are using useless, if the green speed for instance is affected by time of day, dampness etc. Point is, they could build all that into the game, there would be a trade-off on performance of course, physics engines tend to ramp up computer requirements somewhat., but it would be a much nicer game all around.

The short comings in the NV aren't due to inept coders and artists, it's just about money. 

I like the current version, most of the time, just figured it would be much more refined and more 'realistic' at this point in the development cycle. Who knows, maybe some of that is in the works.

RSS