Forums

Help › Forums

Scoring 52 is not a realistic score.

Wed, Jan 25 2023 10:23 PM (130 replies)
  • callaghan159
    6,224 Posts
    Thu, Dec 15 2022 2:16 PM

Lynn1963:
    What Wedges would you suggest, and for that matter, what set of Irons?

Clubs are a personnal thing imho. Depends if you like a fast meter or slow meter or something in between. Just like picking a ball, there other club attributes you need to look at. What I use to do coming up through the ranks was to look at some of the better players playing this game and see what they are using and then compare with what you have.There are very few high level players that have a hybrid. Get 3 good wedges and learn what they can do as the starters are not good clubs. You will be surprised what a difference 3 good wedges can do for your score. Another good way to help your game is to join a good club, one where you can play club members and ask lots of questions. Good luck

• PureGro1
    1,656 Posts
    Thu, Dec 15 2022 2:58 PM

Lynn1963:

What Wedges would you suggest, and for that matter, what set of Irons?

If you look at most peoples clubs, what you will find is one of two combinations- (many are successful with doing different things, but this is what a majority of low score players are using) Send me a friend invite- Ill play with you and try to help you out.

Take a look at the people scoring lower and what they use for equipment, I bet you see very few if any using hybrids regularly. Its not that a hybrid is bad, its that you have to sacrifice your 3rd wedge to carry it.

60 yard wedge IMO- you really need a 64 degree wedge to get out of bunkers....

https://www.wgt.com/proshop/golf-clubs/wedges/titleist-vokey_sm8_64_wedge_l80.aspx?i=68741640-aeb8-4539-9667-9af4dee344e6

You could then go with the 80yd and 100yd wedge in the titleist vokeys they have a 3.5 meter speed and are basically the same wedges you may see under the name Cleveland

Or

You could use the Callaway jaws wedges with a 4.5 meter to round out the set adding their 100yd and 75yd wedges to the Titleist 60yd wedge.

For Irons I prefer the Calloway Rouge irons with 4.0 meter

https://www.wgt.com/proshop/golf-clubs/irons/callaway-rogue_st_pro_iron_set_l100.aspx?i=61f8bf27-8b29-43d9-b27f-cb6540c8d6df

but some like the Taylormade p790 with 3.0 meter

https://www.wgt.com/proshop/golf-clubs/irons/taylormade-p790_iron_set_l90.aspx?i=7ef6359d-ab34-44ed-8404-64b8ea5bb276

• callaghan159
    6,224 Posts
    Fri, Dec 16 2022 4:00 AM

Lynn1963:
    What Wedges would you suggest

As luck would have it there are some good wedges on sale in the pro shop for today only.....20% off.

• brysan4856
    3 Posts
    Mon, Jan 16 2023 4:01 PM

In professional golf, only one player, Jim Furyk scored a 58. That is in the history of golf.So what you are suggesting that 52 is possible seems as far fetched as  pro golfer doing it. A 52 represents playing on average 20 below par for every 18 holes played; day in and day out.

It is as close to impossible as I can think.

• billycash74
    2,076 Posts
    Tue, Jan 17 2023 5:11 PM

• Tabarnak777
    170 Posts
    Wed, Jan 18 2023 3:57 PM

Like in real life, some people are really good at some things. WGT is a world wide game. Some players have over 10k hours in bank. It's astronomical. Combine it with these really good players and you have real birdie machines going on this platform.

Maths have been done over and over. There is no cheat and it's all searching for perfection at this point. Dead horse has been beat again...

• Squatch031
    175 Posts
    Sat, Jan 21 2023 12:07 PM

I think he is saying that these ridiculous low averages are one area where WGT is unrealistic.  I like WGT due to their efforts to create a realistic experience but averages that low are unattainable in the real world.  There are other areas where they could improve and align with actual golf.....

-Get rid of apparel that improves game.  Never seen such when playing real golf.

-Get rid of dots on putting overlay.  Too many are using to create math formulas. Arrows are fine so you can see break.

I started on October of 2022 and my average is down to just over 65, which is somewhat unrealistic.  I progressed to level 89 by Jan 2023 but I am retired and have health issues so I play around 10 hours a day.  I can should a good round sometimes but mostly shoot around par or just below.  A realistic average would by around 70.

Anyway, my two cents.

• Squatch031
    175 Posts
    Mon, Jan 23 2023 8:56 AM

Understand.  However, the point I was trying to make in an earlier post is that it it unrealistic if trying to mimic real-life golf.  I defy you to find a professional golfer with an average below the high 60s.  Also understand it is a game and not real golf.

RSS