Forums

Help › Forums

Pinhunter Excel question

rated by 0 users
Tue, Apr 9 2024 8:27 AM (24 replies)
  • slimjym
    141 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 5:17 AM

I'd like to use Pinhunter's GS wind/putting calculator Excel program, but am unfamiliar with using Excel. I'm able to accomplish the download & enter 4 parameters (shot distance, shot elevation, wind direction. & wind spped), but don't know where to proceed from there. I'm also confused by a large square box to the right of the clock dial denoting distance factor? Any help would be appreciated in helping me utilize this program. 

• ScottHope
    10,096 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 5:35 AM

You don't need to do anymore than you have done jym. The large square box you refer to is only for tweaking the formulas if the results for adjusted distance and wind offset are badly out for you. The instructions in the box further to the right should help if you need to adjust those values.

• slimjym
    141 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 6:27 AM

Scott,

Maybe I'm missing something here, but as I've been told earlier the only dumb question is the question not asked. How do I obtain the adjusted shot distance after I've entered data in the 4 cells previously mentioned? I have 4 cells containing data, but don't understand how to proceed from there? Also, how do I access the portion of this wind/putting calculator in order to enter a green speed? (Seven are shown in the example). 

• ScottHope
    10,096 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 6:44 AM

After you have entered your shot information into the relevant cells, do the values in the wind offset and adjusted distance cells not appear?

• slimjym
    141 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 7:15 AM

No the values for wind offset & adjusted distance DO NOT appear. That is my dilemma. Also I do not see any location to enter green speed (slow, standard, fast, very fast, tourney 11, tourney 12, champ 13, but I will worry about this later. Right now I just want to successfully fix the aforementioned problem. BTW, thanks for your help. 

• ScottHope
    10,096 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 7:42 AM

No probs jym, I like to help out if I can.

What version of Excel are you using, or is it another spreadsheet program like google sheets or open office etc?

• slimjym
    141 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 8:11 AM

My laptop says I'm using MS Excel spreadsheet, last modified 7 months ago. Not being familiar with how to use Excel, I'm wondering if I'm doing everything correct. After clicking on "download" Pinhunter, I find it in my files, which then opens in Excel after I click "open".. From there I enter data into the empty cells 2,3, 4, & 5, but nothing appears in the adjusted wind or shot distance cells directly underneath. Inform me if you need further info. I'm scratching my head at the moment wondering what the glitch is & figured I should ask someome more familiar with excel than I am

• ScottHope
    10,096 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 8:23 AM

Okay, if you click on either of the cells that should contain values that you cannot see, does anything appear in the formula bar?
    (=VLOOKUP(B5,H2:J13,2) in the image below)

• slimjym
    141 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 8:48 AM

If copied correctly clicking on wind offset shows =VLOOKUP (B5,H2: J13,2)

clicking adj distance shows =VLOOKUP (B5,H2: J13, 3, TRUE) *B4* (B2-B3/3) + B2 + B3/3

• ScottHope
    10,096 Posts
    Wed, Jul 4 2018 9:01 AM

Okay, that's all correct.

Maybe the font colour is the same as the cell colour, which might be the reason you can't see any results.

Click on the problem cell again, and then click on the font colour picker, and choose a colour, black is good.

RSS