Help › Forums

Withdrew from a tournament due to Meter Issues

rated by 0 users
Wed, Oct 7 2009 3:51 PM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Tue, Oct 6 2009 2:25 AM

Now, I am quite annoyed that I have to withdraw from a tournament due to a inconsistent meter at impact.  My CPU load is minimal as shown in another thread. 

1) 13% on the Tee

2)  17% on the Fairway

3) 50-60% on the green

In no way shape or form should I have any meter issues with minimal CPU load.

Could you please determine why anyone should have any meter issues.

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Tue, Oct 6 2009 9:59 AM

Hi infinito, when did you start experiencing the stuttering meter? Which browser are you playing in?

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Tue, Oct 6 2009 10:22 AM

I apologize for my cander.  However, as per your question I am using the latest version of Firefox with the latest Adobe Flash plug-in.  Which by the way is a recommendation made in your forums.  Your second question, how long have I been experiencing this aspect of the game, approximately 3 weeks.    Usually I mutter through, but I am using the TP R9 master driver off the tee. A stuttering meter can have quite the impact on the result of the drive.  This corresponds roughly when I upgraded my driver. Perhaps, the stuttering was there before, but now I am hitting the ball farther off the tee which can produce tragic results if the meter speed is not smooth.

Let me re-iterate, I do expect minor fluctuations in meter speed.  Thus, you may not always hit the mark but the deviation from the mark would be minor. I do not use the G-ID balls to slow down the meter, which in alot of the master's player do use.  Maybe, this is how they compensate for the stuttering meter. 

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Oct 6 2009 7:17 PM

Try the combo of Google Chrome & GameBooster. Many site users report it has improved things dramatically for them.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Tue, Oct 6 2009 10:35 PM

Thanks for the suggestions Faterson.  But as you can see I do not have CPU load issue.  Word to the wise with regards to GameBooster. It may turn off  services and or applications such as anti-virus and firewall software that you may not think you need.  Sometimes turning off services can make your computer more prone to malware.  Unless you know what you are doing, please refrain from using gamebooster.  I come to an understanding that most users on this site are quite proficient when it comes computers.  However, I believe I need to point out these deficiencies in certain products.

• cobra4
    359 Posts
    Wed, Oct 7 2009 1:09 AM

Here's my view on the stuttering meter and lag issues. When i 1st started playing this game i was using one of those USB dial up dongles with upload & download speeds of around 1-2 Mbps.The meter stuttering and lagging was so un-playable at times i nearly gave up the game through the same frustrations you are having Infinito. I started a thread a while back on this and some-one suggested it was nothing to do with the broadband speed for the stuttering and jittering meter.Well i believe that suggestion is wrong. 6 weeks ago i upgraded  to 10 Mbps fibre optic Virgin broadband,and since then the game has been playing a hell off a lot better for me,with just the odd lag and stutter now n again.

So i believe it is to do with the broadband speed, higher Mbps = faster download & upload data speed,meaning the wgt data is coming through quicker on the meter. Test your speeds on a broadband speed checker this could give you some answers. I could be wrong, but a faster broadband speed has made this game somewhat more pleasureable to play for me.

Here is my speed test  

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Oct 7 2009 1:21 AM

It's not the speed that causes the lagged meter, trust me. Just look at my results, yet I still get the jittery meter almost daily, depending on what WGT server I connect to.

That's running a dual core 2.86 GHZ machine with 4 GB of RAM as well.  It's all on WGT's end, how the game is coded, how the server load is balanced, etc., and there is nothing that we can do about it.

• cobra4
    359 Posts
    Wed, Oct 7 2009 1:23 AM

Just a question for fatterson, maybe you could ask your good friend Mark from the ladder site as to why these lags and jitters occur frequently. I believe he is a computer technician from the conversation i had with him a while ago,so maybe he could give you some possitive answers.

• cobra4
    359 Posts
    Wed, Oct 7 2009 1:26 AM

Wow...thats super fast Tibbets, but all i am saying is the faster broadband speed has improved the game quality for me. So i wonder what it is then ?

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Wed, Oct 7 2009 2:34 AM

I think the meter lags are not primarily (or at all) related to the speed of your Internet connection. (Unless you clear your Flash cache too frequently, which would require you to download Kiawah & Bethpage all over and over again.)

Mark of the Ladders Site is indeed an IT professional and from his casual remarks it seems to follow he probably believes the issues are mostly Flash-based. And that is, obviously, a logical conclusion.

What the players of this game can do, given the existing Flash problems, is to minimize the potential issues on our own player computers, such as closing all the other browser windows and other software, etc., all the things listed and recommended by WGTalex here.

I have found it really helps if you close the browser window from which you originally launch the game pop-up window. It looks like some of the ads displayed on these webpages (anyone remember Porsche?) are sometimes so aggressive they can drain a lot of your computer resources.

• PAGES
RSS