No, subtract.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Sun, Feb 24 2019 12:42 PM

alanliam:

if its down elevations do we add.

kavvz:

Naturali mentioned that initially.  

You subtract whether its uphill or downhill because if you subtract a negative number its actually adding.

9 minus  -6  = 15

9 minus 6 = 3

Long putts are going to be less accurate IMO especially if the dots are moving at different speeds along the way.  Naturali talks about that earlier as well.

• alanliam
    231 Posts
    Sun, Feb 24 2019 11:31 PM

ty

• canibirdie
    70 Posts
    Mon, Feb 25 2019 2:40 AM

Can confirm this works heres the replay thanks for sharing this
    Putt Replay

• mega1byte
    750 Posts
    Tue, Feb 26 2019 3:24 AM

This technique seems really good BUT, once again (at least in my own opinion) when your in a game there is only so much time that you have to putt (unless your playing 90 sec shot clock). (and who wants that, lol)

Now if you playing by yourself another story. (but that makes for a lonely game, lol)

One needs to develop your putting by look and feel (especially if your using a 45 sec clock in a game.) sure you take in consideration of the green speed and elevation but judging the slope angle and dot speed, setting up slide ruler can be very time consuming.

Now, before all you pro's jump my throat ,, I'm no expert, my stats can  tell you that! lol

1.85 putts per hole, almost 30% one putt, 55% two putt, but eventually getting better. ( that's is based upon my approach % getting better and my distance to hole becoming better.)

So please no harsh comments needed, If you are playing by yourself this approach would probably work well. Great write up and appreciated time put into this.

• adrob2
    591 Posts
    Tue, Feb 26 2019 4:10 AM

I find this putting method very effective for those tough breaking 3-7 footers.  With longer putts or double breaking putts I often just use feel and my gut.  Also, happy birthday to this thread:)

• borntobesting
    9,601 Posts
    Thu, Feb 28 2019 4:03 AM

kavvz:

1. First calculate (green speed divided by dot speed) - save that number
    2. Then calculate (distance minus elevation) - save that number
    3. Then multiply the 2 numbers you get in step 1 and 2
    4. Then divide that number you get in 3 by 1.25

Should equal 31.2

HTH,

After trying it some I took the formula 1 step farther. Taking the grid size on my monitor into consideration I multiply the figure by 0.25 which gives me the number of inches to aim from the hole for my monitor. It works quite well. 

So in the computation shown it would be 31.2 X 0,25 giving me 7.8. I would then aim 7 13/16 inches from the center of the hole. 

It would be great if someone with good math and programming skills could create a spreadsheet for this formula. And if someone has already created a spreadsheet for this please share it with us. 

• TopShelf2010
    10,876 Posts
    Thu, Feb 28 2019 4:29 AM

• DoctorLarry
    4,274 Posts
    Thu, Feb 28 2019 11:03 AM

TopShelf2010:

borntobesting:
    It would be great if someone with good math and programming skills could create a spreadsheet for this formula

Sounds like a task for Goldeena.

Don

UPDATE: I fired off a PM to ask her if she would be interested

Oh, no............

Multi-screen response incoming!

RSS