Forums

Help › Forums

Another way to Putt

Sun, Dec 10 2023 2:44 AM (100 replies)
  • armchairalien
    258 Posts
    Wed, Mar 7 2018 7:54 PM

here's my formula for 12 greenspeed   10ft for 12.5    30 for45   45 for  60  60 for 90  90for 120   and i'm probably the only player on wgt that very rarely moves the arrow to aim a putt,,i hit either early or late and i eyeball the grid ,,probably think i'm crazy but i have done fairly well with my own crazy technic   cya's

• borntobesting
    9,601 Posts
    Thu, Mar 8 2018 3:32 AM

kavvz:

Do it this way

1. First calculate (green speed divided by dot speed) - save that number
    2. Then calculate (distance minus elevation) - save that number
    3. Then multiply the 2 numbers you get in step 1 and 2
    4. Then divide that number you get in 3 by 1.25

One question.Do you subtract up elevation as well or do you add it? some of those long uphill putts like you might get on #11 @ St. Andrews or #11 At RSG would yield totally different numbers if you added instead of subtracting, And long uphill putts break less unti;l the very end of the putt.

• kavvz
    2,195 Posts
    Thu, Mar 8 2018 4:43 AM

Naturali mentioned that initially.  

You subtract whether its uphill or downhill because if you subtract a negative number its actually adding.

9 minus  -6  = 15

9 minus 6 = 3

Long putts are going to be less accurate IMO especially if the dots are moving at different speeds along the way.  Naturali talks about that earlier as well.

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Thu, Mar 8 2018 10:36 AM

armchairalien:
    and i'm probably the only player on wgt that very rarely moves the arrow to aim a putt,,i hit either early or late and i eyeball the grid ,,probably think i'm crazy but i have done fairly well with my own crazy technic  

Lol, far from being the only one. I've putted that way since my 2nd week here, cause I find it so much easier. Plenty of others are doing the same, just type "off ding putting" in the search box ;-)

• armchairalien
    258 Posts
    Thu, Mar 8 2018 5:39 PM

yes   a foot per inch or slightly less for down  slightly more for up or the same put add or subtract more or less the farther the putt

• armchairalien
    258 Posts
    Thu, Mar 8 2018 5:42 PM

eye ball slope as well? it's a PS Tiger Woods golf throw back technic,,lol  i hit an 247yd DE lastnight ,,,,still smiling

• armchairalien
    258 Posts
    Wed, May 2 2018 11:37 PM

I agreed with MrBest, there is a pretty reliable math formula to use with greenspeed and slope adjustment needed,  it's an individual thing with several individuals using the same 5 or 6 different means to an end.  I am comfortable with a baseline amount or starting number then i add in the conditions. As a baseline number i have a good idea where 1in equals 1 ft in elevation and i eyeball the break rarely moving the pointer which probably woud drive some players nuts,i very rarely move the pointer at all,,mostly on drives andi try to hit center of meter,other than that i hit before or after the center of meter on putts as well. so i guess we're splitting hairs trying to come up with a universal formula,,to many variables involved.                                                                                                          ACA

• andwhy67
    2,816 Posts
    Sat, Feb 23 2019 10:06 PM

• alanliam
    231 Posts
    Sun, Feb 24 2019 6:29 AM

if its down elevations do we add.

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Sun, Feb 24 2019 9:42 AM

The elevation is the wild card.

Best way I've found is to apply the usual formulae, then hit it a little harder on the upslope and a little softer on the downslope. No "calculating" there, just feel.

RSS