Help › Forums

Quartering Winds

rated by 0 users
Sat, Oct 7 2017 1:30 PM (18 replies)
  • PAGES
  • RickRR
    119 Posts
    Wed, Oct 4 2017 2:20 PM
    Need some help ladies and Gents, I am really having trouble with Quartering winds, and maybe I can get some help. Here is an example: This is the WGT Monthly unlimited at Pinehurst No 2 hole 12. I had a Distance of 185, elevation of 2 ft up, Wind 12 mph coming at me at 4 o'clock or 120 degrees (cosign 0.5).. Did some calculating and came up with hit the ball for 192 yards. Experience tells me way to hard, so I took a 4 iron, full backspin on ball, set the meter for 190 yards or 97% for my APEX clubs and Nike 81 balls. Took the shot and the ball goes 190 yard with a 1 yard back roll (189). That is 4 yards past the hole 5 if you don't count the back roll. Wouldn't you think a 12 mph wind would have some impact on the ball? I know side winds don't have much if any impact (distance wise that is) and can deal with it. I guess first I should ask: Was that a good shot, fair shot or poor shot. Having trouble understanding why when I hit into a wind the ball goes further. Is it because of the full backspin and higher flight, I thought full backspin shorten the distance. Oh and it doesn't matter which quarter, 2. 4, 8 or 10, I get some strange distances. Thanks in advance
  • keidan
    311 Posts
    Wed, Oct 4 2017 10:59 PM
    I have no experience with your irons but at that distance it does not seem unreasonable that you could stray 5 yds within a precision/forgiveness circle even with a ding under your wind conditions. You cite one example (your calculations look good) now... if you are able to list 10 instances with that same repeatable problem, ok now you are beyond what I could explain within my experience with the physics of the game. Keep in mind that examples across various hole/courses have their own variables where wind effects are amplified or attenuated. Some time ago I expressed what I felt was the behavior of the "noise" or uncertainty of shots as part of a useful thread started by SGTBilko. See if maybe it helps you any assuming you've not seen it: http://www.wgt.com/forums/t/145845.aspx?PageIndex=3 Towards bottom of page. Sorry for the raw link I don't see the usual tools for link insertion etc. -Keith
  • Jimbog1964
    8,378 Posts
    Wed, Oct 4 2017 11:26 PM
    Circles of precision come into play, and so nothing is going to be exact here. Calc wise I come out to 198 yards............Basically call that wind pretty much full on: 1.86 (with elevation) x 6 = say 12. FBS with a L81 will reduce yardage by a yard or so into a wind. Not playing with your club ball combo but assuming (BIG assumption) your base yardage with that 4 iron FBS with that ball is 203 then 97% is looking only just enough..............A couple of those holes at PH play a little long too, and that is one from memory. It's a tough course and not the easiest pin to close to for a good putt. Long gets tricky soon and left or right is also tricky and too much below it rolls off..........You know all that... IMO the shot with FBS probably got what I would have thought. Solution is a 5 iron with not much BS or a full shot as you played at 100% (depending on exact FBS yardage) or lay off the spin on the 4 iron and hit not as hard................At that hole I would have likely gone 5 iron or maybe (more likely) eased of the BS by a pixel and hit about what you did.......................Pig of a course and pig of a hole:) Fun course though (when things go well LOL)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Oct 5 2017 5:25 AM
    RickRR:
    Wouldn't you think a 12 mph wind would have some impact on the ball?
    Quartering like that, I'd say yes, maybe 3-4 yards before spin and choke..............I think you overpowered the shot. You're looking for a 12 wind to knock 25 yards off of a shot. The backspin does some, the choke (97%) does a little more and your result sounds about right.

Headwinds are good stopping winds and in your example, I would have used the 5i (195) with partial backspin. Also, top spin into a wind will negate a lot of it so taking your 6i (180) and putting full top spin on it is also a suitable choice for that scenario.

• Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Thu, Oct 5 2017 6:43 AM
    Your distance was correct, what you have to understand is that club,(at least with my ball Nike black L90 ) has a 5 yard spread, which is crazy high for the rating on the club and balls. from the fairway I get in distance with a 2-3 side wind at 4:00 which is about a 1 mph headwind, 215 - 220. Also IMO these irons are more consistent than the Apex irons.
  • Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Thu, Oct 5 2017 6:56 AM
    Sorry wrong iron. Distance was still good 4I is better than the 3. It still getsa 5 yard spread 200 - 195 same wind as above, but is more consistent being 200 - 199 that 195 shows up rare.
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Thu, Oct 5 2017 7:35 AM
    You need to get your irons right. The 3i was never part of this conversation. A 4i goes a hell of a lot farther than 200-195.

Math doesn't lie.

• JimbeauC
    5,835 Posts
    Thu, Oct 5 2017 5:11 PM
    RickRR:
    120 degrees (cosign 0.5)
    Cool. Math skills. Barring WGT's wind VEM and circles of error, etc, just think of the wind direction and speed as the hypotenuse of a right triangle. The other sides calculated against this value and angle of deflection will give you the (optimum) force of the head/tail and left/right vectors in MPH. Then just think of them as direct crossing and direct head/tail winds. I never completely calculate this, but just keeping it in mind allows me to guesstimate pretty correctly. Good luck. I sure will be glad when paragraphing comes back.
  • Woodoworkery
    3,498 Posts
    Thu, Oct 5 2017 5:56 PM
    @ YJ thats what my club and ball goes
  • RickRR
    119 Posts
    Fri, Oct 6 2017 4:56 AM
    Thank you, I will go to the link.. But what I have described happens to me in almost every game. Funny thing I tell myself to back off more, when I do the comes up way short.
  • PAGES
RSS