Help › Forums

What would you do?

rated by 0 users
Fri, Sep 4 2009 4:51 PM (61 replies)
  • Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 11:33 PM

Another analogy comes to mind...

Pete Rose bet on Baseball.... ~THE~ cardinal no-no of sports.  Betting on the game, from the inside, is the absolute worst thing you can do because it goes directly to the integrity of the game, not the player... betting is worse than PEDs, corked bats, spitballs etc combined.

He is banned for life. 

Efffective?  Lets just say that there are still people using PEDs, corked bats, spitballs, etc... but to a man, trying to  find any MLB player or manager who is not acutely aware of Mr. Rose situation, and the consequences, is very very rare.

Sometimes, you have to kill the flea with a hand-grenade to protect the dog.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2009 4:34 AM

I guess we have different opinions on this.   Me, I'm a tinkerer.

I prefer the virus analogy for this.   I've been known to download virus' and let them spread purposely (secure contained network) in the past.   Why?   Because I want to see how they work.   What files they create, what ports they're trying to communicate over, what registry entries they make, what services are created, what startup programs are created, how it reacts to attempts to eradicate it, etc..

I'm not a virus maker nor am I trying to build an army of botnets.   I do this for my own personal and professional knowledge.

Now, I'm not saying that the person in question here was looking to d/l and install this "cheat" program for noble ends.   In fact, using a CC to purchase some shady software is just looking for trouble.   A virus payload could easily be part of the executable or installation program.   Giving one's CC info to a non-reputable source is also not a smart move.   But I am trying to point out that the existence of files on one's PC (whether they are malicious as in virus' or cheating aids) does not necessarily mean the files are going to be used for nefarious means.

Ultimately, it's up to WGT to do whatever it is they want to do.   Personally, I see them banning the user (with no evidence that the software was used to cheat the game) in the same light as the government coming for me because I actively searched for and downloaded a virus.

• Lysti
    323 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2009 6:53 AM

I really do not think this person will ever come forward to admit to anything.  I have come to my own obvious conclusions on who it is.  And people in this thread in a way (saying take it easy on him)  or seeming to come to his defense either know him or are friends with him from what i see.  WGT are you going to check up on this player? Just wondering how long we will continue to wonder if scores are being manipulated.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2009 8:07 AM

I don't know who it is, nor do I care.

And no, it's not me.   I'm not stupid enough to go and buy a questionable piece of software with a CC.   There are other methods in acquiring software like that.

I'm looking at this question as a person who's worked in the IT field for over a decade.

• Lysti
    323 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2009 8:27 AM

@Marioh

I didn't think it was you, but i am sorry that you don't care who it is as this still may have been acquired & in use as we speak.  It disturbs me greatly that players would actually try to acquire it for this site to (see if it works)  And i don't think this subject should be dropped until WGT does more to moniter players games.   Too many prizes, giftcards etc. at stake here people.

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2009 8:37 AM

You'll get no disagreement from me regarding WGT doing the right thing and busting the cheaters.

The integrity of the tournaments (and WGT by extension) is certainly at stake here.

• Lysti
    323 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2009 8:39 AM

@ the person being accused........Ok now you do realize we can read wall posts right? Why don't you just bring it to the forum then or should i copy & paste what i just read...if you're so threatened by this conversation. 

• Lysti
    323 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2009 8:47 AM

Cmon threatening people on their wall for starting this thread?  Sounds pretty defensive to me.  By the way this is not the first place i've heard this.  A lot of players suspect people of things & have made it public.  I'm sorry but you really should just come in here & explain to help clear this up & your name.

• Lysti
    323 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2009 9:23 AM

And when you said Tibbets why don't you take all that stuff to WGT & let them deal with it.  Yes wgt has been aware for sometime now but apparently until they actually catch the software in use you are safe. I do hope that makes you feel better if you are not using it.

• Lysti
    323 Posts
    Fri, Sep 4 2009 9:53 AM

Ok one last note..not trying to make this person feel bad but if it was just trying to see if it works to let wgt know then sorry but its not the players place here to test those out.  The link shouldve just been forwarded to wgt & left at that. Lesson learned.

RSS