Forums

Help › Forums

What would you do?

rated by 0 users
Fri, Sep 4 2009 4:51 PM (61 replies)
  • TarheelsRule
    5,492 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 12:39 PM

Since this site awards prizes, trips and money for playing, I think that a ban is the least that they should get.  The purchase of the software itself should get a ban whether used or not, if they bought it I'm sure they intended to use it.  Hopefully they can ban them for good.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 12:47 PM

Not allowed to say it here EllisSpice. WGT policy frowns against calling people out by name in the public forum.

*No longer a Devils Post candidate* :)

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 12:57 PM

I`ve just seen several New Masters use thier Master clubs proceed to steal the Aug. Pro tournament. This was Not against the rules yet I still have a bad taste in my mouth from it. Obviously there are many out there that can live with thier selves by taking candy from babies! But to outright cheat, especially by a known player(they know better!) then that is just Wrong! As to reporting them is a different "can of worms". Good luck with that!

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 1:34 PM

I really do not see any reason whatsoever for a player to even attempt to buy software like this since the only possible use would be to defraud WGT and it's players.  Even a failed attempt to buy this software would make you question that player's intent and integrity. 

Personally, if I was the one who ran across such software, I wouldn't attempt to buy it, but simply report it to WGT.  Let them buy it, analyze it and defend against it.  It's not my place as a player to take that decision upon myself, but I'm smart enough to not put myself in such a compromised position to begin with.

Cheat programs are illegal to have.  So are guns without a permit.  If I attempt to buy a gun without a permit and my credit card gets denied, I still get to go to jail for attempted possession.  However, if I'm convicted of that charge alone I'll never get a life sentence for it.  There's no way to prove that I was planning on taking someone out with it, so in this case the punishment must fit the actual crime, not the (possibly) intended one.

Crime : Attempted possession of a known WGT cheat program.

Sentence :  Somewhere between a one and three month suspension would seem reasonable.  Tough love maybe, but this isn't a minor offense either.  However, since actual use cannot be proven, I don't think you can permaban either.

Tough situation indeed.

• BALLSDEEP2
    7 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 1:59 PM

I agree with nivlac 1-3 months plus WGT should expose them the embarressment would be worse than the ban

• plim
    1,388 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 2:14 PM

it takes a big person to admit to cheating or attempting to cheat let them post on the forum explaining WHY and to say sorry. if they have the balls to front everyone and name and shame themselves that will be enough for me.

to me even putting tape with putting distances on the screen is help and to me is a form of cheating, mild form i know but still a outside aid.

multiple accounts are bad enough. get suspects to post credit card details on their account or close it. 

• Lysti
    323 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 2:41 PM

Even if it was just attemped, I think this person would think about doing it again.  I hope I haven't played this person or made friends with them because it would show that  I am a bad judge of character.  Leave it to WGT to decide their fate & if they keep them here let them always be monitered.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 3:49 PM

After a few hours of contemplation... I think I will have to mostly agree with nivlac.

Let's try to draw some analogies.  What is the purpose of buying this software?  To cheat.  Plain and simple.  There is no other explanation. 

It's not like buying a stripper for a party, that has the "potential" to turn illegal in a hurry, but on it's face it can be kept legal.  But propositioning a prostitute is illegal immediately with no chance to be a lawful transaction (in most states) which is why you can be arrested for 'Solicitation" of a prostitute, but not "Hiring" a stripper.... (when, in all likelihood, the same woman will be receiving money for the same acts.)

There is no reason to even attempt to buy this software.  If you know of it's existance, you should, as nivlac pointed out, send the information to WGT immediately.

Another analogy.... Why would you go out and spend $6000 for a pound of marijuana? Just having it is illegal, using it even more so, and if your intent is to sell... it gets much worse.  Would you just buy it to look at it?  No.

Bottom line, in my opinion, is that if it can be proven that someone tried to purchase or use a program that would cheat this game, their account should be banned and their IP addy blocked.  Permanently.

There is no middle ground.

It's not like buying a gun... guns, for now are legal.  Yes, they can be used in crimes, but for the most part, most gun owners are responsible citizens.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 4:14 PM

Indeed.  I reported this software the day I found out about it back on June 19th. There's no excuse for trying to acquire such a thing.  This fact has been hidden by the person in question for a long time now, and frankly I'm sick of playing all hush-hush about it when I have documented written comments from them about trying to acquire it.  Whether they did or not is irrelevant to me. 

Judging from the responses here, there aren't many who would be willing to put up with it either.

• Lysti
    323 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 5:15 PM

So might we get a response from WGT as to whats being done about this? Top spots on the leaderboards can easily be stolen from legitimate players.

RSS