Help › Forums

Inconsistent 7-iron; TaylorMade

rated by 0 users
Thu, Sep 3 2009 4:29 PM (10 replies)
  • PAGES
  • Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Mon, Aug 31 2009 10:15 PM

Now, perhaps I am a little bit nuts in writing this post.  But, here goes. 

Playing Kiawah Island in tournament play I have notice significant differences in the TaylorMade 7 iron carry and roll distances.

Hole 10;     144 yards to the hole with a 6 mph tail wind, 3 feet above the green.  Playing no spin, the ball carried 132 yards.  This left me short and in the rough.  I had to carry 134 yards to reach the green.

Hole 13;     138 yards to the hole with a 6 mph right to left wind.  Full backspin, allowing for the right to left wind, the ball carried 138 yards with a 2 yard roll.  This is what I expect from this club.  Now, I can expect deviations from the amount carry, but not in the order of 6 yards,  maybe for this club a yard or two.

I don't know if the other players take note on the amount of carry each club gets, but I put allot of time gathering information on each club. I'm sure the top players are aware of the carry each club provides and under windy conditions also.

• edchavez
    488 Posts
    Mon, Aug 31 2009 10:27 PM

Which style of TaylorMade clubs where you playing with?? Tour Burners, Tour perffered, Burners??

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Mon, Aug 31 2009 11:08 PM

They are the TaylorMade Burners irons graphite shaft, prior to the addition of all the extra clubs. Ie, the Rapture Woods and Irons, etc.... The longer Drivers.

The Range is 103-190 yards.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Tue, Sep 1 2009 1:41 AM

I would also like to add Lake Tahoe CTTH, last hole, 142 yards.

Several times I have hit a 7-iron with a 10+ mph tail wind for it to come up short in the drink.  My last two CTTH challenge scores verifies this.  The ball only carried  132 yards, oops in the water.  Anyone else experiencing this.  Usually I play a knocked down 6 iron, depending on wind (head wind) or aim right of the hole where the carry is significantly less.

1,644 Posts
    Tue, Sep 1 2009 7:33 AM

You are not nuts fellow Canuck....  Although some may try to convince you otherwise!  Don't believe them!  LOL.  Anyways here is a recent thread started by Iconian.  There has always been an issue with the 7 Irons (more specifically I think the distance that the 7 Iron in most sets happens to fall under).  Also if you do a search on the 7 Iron topic, you will see posts dating back to the release of the tour starter set, the very first club upgrade that was available.

For now you just need to work around it, it sucks, but that's just the way it is right now.  I guess they just can't seem to find this bug. =(

Lee

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Sep 1 2009 7:47 AM

The good old WGT 7 iron issue.

I know for the tour starter 7I, the club only goes around 135 yards (it's supposed to be 142), most of the times.    There are certain holes where the 7 actually goes the distance it's supposed to, but those holes seem to be rare.

Everytime I'm forced to use the 7I, the first thought that comes to mind is "will it go the listed distance or 135?".   I typically decide on the latter, and the majority of times it does go the shorter distance.

It'd be nice if WGT fixed this bug.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Tue, Sep 1 2009 12:43 PM

Thanks Mr. Lee for your reply.

Unfortunately, I've spent a fair amount of time reading these forums in order to keep abreast of what is going in the WGT  community.

Perhaps they thought the issue or the bug has been addressed, but it still falters.  As to why it hasn't been address that eludes me.  As for the bug there are only so many parameters one can address for a club.  I have written a little blog of my own in regards to golf ball trajectory and physics. As you are all aware the parameters that effect the trajectory are the following;

* launch angle
        * strike angle
        * club head speed
        * spin rate (initial)
        * loft angle
        * COR (coefficient of restitution between the club and ball, one of the more important parameters)  It dictates the launch velocity of the ball in reference to club head speed.

The parameters that are indirectly responsible for trajectory would be the following

* Drag coefficient  (changes as the velocity of the ball decreases)
        * Lift coefficient (changes as the velocity of the ball changes)
        * Spin rate (changes during ball flight)
        * wind direction and speed

I admit that the WGT Team has put a tremendous amount of effort in developing software on this site.  I still marvel at the High Definition photos over-layed with the game play we are experiencing.  I especially enjoy the mult-player aspects of this game.  You see an inordinate amount of detail and get a unique perspective on each hole.  This to me is invaluable tool for developing course management techniques.

Infinito3010

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Tue, Sep 1 2009 3:28 PM

Thus, one can ask the following question.

If the performance of the 7-iron is sporadic, then the question would be is the 3-d overlay on the model been verified.

• Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 2:17 PM

Would anyone be interested in seeing the equations in defining a golf ball trajectory during flight.

• mefitz
    372 Posts
    Thu, Sep 3 2009 2:40 PM

I`m not sure the equations would be in great demand but, a graph of some sort would help people visualize their shots alot better. Also, a note about your previous post about a short carry into water. I`m not saying that the 7 iron was not to blame but,and i`ve read this in many accounts, with a tail wind your ball can be knocked Down thus shortening the carry. If I`m in doubt, I usually add a bit of backspin.  It`s basically the opposite of a head wind holding the ball Up for a better carry. I think if more people understood this there would be fewer issues about carry and distance.  Cheers

• PAGES
RSS