Help › Forums

Getting trojan virus warning constantly at this site

rated by 0 users
Sat, Jan 14 2017 4:11 PM (16 replies)
  • PAGES
  • BeachGolf
    119 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2017 4:24 PM

Since yesterday, every few seconds I get a pop up warning from Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) while on playing on this site.  I'm using Google Chrome.  Every time, MSE says a threat has been detected and is being cleaned, but it is constantly occurring again and again as I'm on this site playing a game.

I can't figure out how to paste a screen shot in here, but the detected item is called:

TrojanDownloader.JS/Nemucod.RH

Alert level is "Severe".

Please check and clean your software/website.  I have played this game since 2008 and never had a problem before so it's a new problem.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2017 4:33 PM

And the problem is no question on your end. You have a virus and it didn't come from here. I suggest you start with a full scan with your AV and if that doesn't find it, Malwarebytes  will. 

• BeachGolf
    119 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2017 5:20 PM

Normally you would think that.  But, I did a full scan with MSE and found nothing.  I only use Google Chrome for WGT.  I use IE 11 for all other games and browsing.  My Chrome home page is the WGT website (I get less lag on the swing meter with Chrome and have been using it for years this way).  I havne't been on any other website with Chrome.  The trojan never pops up on anything but the www.wgt.com website.  I just tried browsing around the web with Chrome, visiting Yahoo and several news links and a few other sites and couldn't get it to pop up.  As soon as I went to wgt's website (not even loading the game), the trojan warning from MSE popped up.  When I clicked on Forums to reply to this, it popped up again.  Again, it never pops up outside of this website.  So, I can't see how it is on my end.  Plus, MSE is saying it's blocking it every time it tries to pop up, so to me the website is trying to send it to me.  I don't see anything else I can do on my end.  It never happens outside of WGT.

• mrcaddie
    2,429 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2017 5:34 PM

YankeeJim:
    and if that doesn't find it, Malwarebytes  will. 

BG,

Do as YJ suggests and try Malwarebytes, then get back to us with the results.

MC

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2017 6:00 PM

Just a thought BG - do  you have an ad-block running? It is possible the scan is picking something up on one of the ads. Also some virus scanners can mistake items as being Trojans.

But I agree run Malwarebytes - if one is on your system, it will detect it.

• BeachGolf
    119 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2017 6:05 PM

Well, Malwarebytes isn't free and it seems to be for businesses, but I ran the free trial.  It found PUP.optional.Mindspark and removed it.  The computer was re-booted in the cleaning process.  Then it said everything was clean.  So, I loaded the WGT website and up popped the trojan warning again.  There's something on this website that MSE keeps trying to block repeatedly.  Not sure what it is, but it only happens here.

• alanti
    10,564 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2017 6:42 PM

To me it sounds like a pop up ad is being alarming MSE. Do you have adblock running? If not try installing it and reloading WGT.

• mrcaddie
    2,429 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2017 7:53 PM

BG,

Try ditching MSE, install Adblockplus and then run Malwarebytes again and see what happens.

MC

• jayw4862
    3,364 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2017 8:10 PM

Try Internet Explorer

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Wed, Jan 11 2017 8:46 PM

+1 on Avast.  I've used it for years and it's great.

• PAGES
RSS