Forums

Help › Forums

More Pro Shop data errors

Sat, Nov 14 2009 8:05 AM (17 replies)
  • PAGES
  • tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Tue, Aug 25 2009 11:04 PM

The Ping G10 Master irons are listed as having a Medium trajectory when in fact they have a higher trajectory than any other club out there.  It should be listed as High.  Also, these clubs have a far better spin rating than the 3 out of 5 listed in the charts.

The TaylorMade Tour Preferred Irons have a the correct trajectory listed, but the wrong spin rating.  After numerous tests side by side with the Ping G10 Master irons, it's clear that their spin rating is considerably worse, even though on the charts it is listed as 3.5 out of 5 compared to the above 3 out of 5 for the Ping G10 Master irons.  My data is consistent with the fact that higher trajectory clubs have more spin capability than lower trajectory clubs.

The Ping Tour W Pro and Master wedges also have greater spin and higher trajectory than is listed, and bear the same spin stat reversal with their TaylorMade counterparts as the iron sets above.  The TaylorMade TP wedges are listed as having greater spin than the Ping Tour W series, when in fact they have less.  Their trajectories are listed as the same Med/High, but the Ping Tour W series has a much higher trajectory than the TaylorMade TP series.  Once again, my data is consistent with higher trajectory clubs having more spin capability as well.

I'd say that the spin ratings for the clubs listed, Ping vs. TaylorMade are reversed, with the Pings being the ones with 3.5 out of 5 and the TaylorMades having 3 out of 5.

• sabbath270
    231 Posts
    Tue, Aug 25 2009 11:12 PM

Thanks, very interesting as I was considering buying those, I have the Ping Irons and Tour Pro W Wedges now.

I hope they just fix the listing and don't change my clubs, because I like them the way they are. :]

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Fri, Nov 6 2009 12:58 AM

Yet another unanswered thread.

• BolloxInBruges
    1,389 Posts
    Fri, Nov 6 2009 9:32 PM

Agree with tibb, would be nice if you got the info correct in the first place.  Had I known the correct flight, and individual club yardages, I would have never bought the TM's and saved myself some $.

• Kosei82
    144 Posts
    Sat, Nov 7 2009 8:11 AM

Exactly, i bought the G10s about a week ago and have noticed a considerable difference, @ BPB big time . The ball flight makes a big difference.

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 10:56 AM

Thanks for the reports. After doing some testing, we will change the listed trajectory of the Ping Master G10 set from Medium to High. We tested the other reports and have determined they are correctly listed and performing as expected.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 11:41 AM

Persistence has paid off.  High trajectory huh?

*goes to fix club chart*

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 12:07 PM

Thanks for changing the trajectory.

As for the spin rating, have one of your developers message me for a quick game sometime.  I'll show them the spin difference using a TM Z Satin 54deg. wedge and a Ping Tour-W Master 60 deg wedge.  Both are rated 85 yd clubs and the Taylormade spin rating is listed as higher than the Ping.  The demonstration of what I mean will take about 5 minutes, and then it will be quite clear  :)

As an aside, is there any player who actually thinks the TaylorMade wedges have more spin than the Ping wedges?

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 12:53 PM

tibbets:
    As an aside, is there any player who actually thinks the TaylorMade wedges have more spin than the Ping wedges?

I do. Especially the 90 yd Satin. I haven't used the Pings so I can't know for sure, I'm just basing it on what I've played against.

All of the Taylors I have have the highest accuracy and spin ratings in the pro shop. I gained them after running the gamut from amateur to master iron set by iron set. Nivlac's club chart was what I eventually went by in deciding on the Master Taylors.With the SD ball the entire iron set through the wedges have all the spin you could want. Much more might be surreal.

Also, I don't understand comparing a 54 w to a 60. With different trajectories I would imagine there would be a difference. What did you discover and how will the new trajectory of the Ping affect the spin?

YJ

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Nov 11 2009 1:08 PM

YJ, If you haven't tried them how would you know? :)

The easiest thing to look at  is the chart given.  This wedge, this wedge, and this wedge all have the same spin rating, and that's just among the TalylorMade Wedges.  I can tell you right now, they don't all have the same spin capability.  The Ping wegdes have always had more spin capability than the Taylormade wedges because the trajectory of the Ping wedges(and irons for that matter) are higher.  The same reasoning explains why the Ping G10 Master set has more spin capability than the Taylormade Preferered iron set.  It's all in the trajectory.

I was comparing the 54 to the 60 for 2 reasons. 1, they both have the same rated distance, so you could set up a shot from 85 yards away, put full backspin on both of them, and see the results.  The second reason is that the Taylormade wedge has a higher spin rating than the Ping Master wedge, which if you actually play, you'll know for sure it doesn't. It's not even close.

• PAGES
RSS