Forums

Help › Forums

nike balls

Sat, Nov 13 2021 8:02 AM (44 replies)
  • Berto057
    219 Posts
    Tue, Dec 6 2016 9:02 AM

phred952:

I came up with a simple way for me to compare balls.  I take the cost of 1 ball and divide it by the total number of dots of performance. 

Nike Tour (L92) is 250 credits per ball and has 17 dots of performance.  Cost is 14.706 credits per dot.

Cally L67 Truvis is 208.33 credits per ball.  It has 14 dots of performance.  Cost is 14.881 credits per dot.

phred952

Nice analysis, Phred952.

The only change I'd suggest is normalizing cost to durability, since a 400 credit sleeve of durability 2.0 balls costs the same per hit as a 500 credit sleeve of durability 2.5 balls. 

Using your example, I'd say the true cost of the Cally is 208.33 * (2.5 / 2.0) = 260.41 versus the Nike, since the Nike has durability 2.5 and the Cally 2.0.  True cost of the Cally L67 is 18.601 per dot -- a lot more than the Nike L92.

Apologies if this is confusing.

--Berto

• Pissedoff666
    218 Posts
    Tue, Dec 6 2016 12:46 PM

Hi People,                How much longer can we expect the Nike gear to be available???  I thought it was supposed to stop at the end of November??? Also when you purchase real balls at a sporting good store are the specs of that ball listed on the sleeve?? Just curious..

• K7JBQ
    1,468 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2016 1:59 PM

Nope. Clubs ditto.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2016 2:28 PM

Pissedoff666:
    Also when you purchase real balls at a sporting good store are the specs of that ball listed on the sleeve?? Just curious..

Kinda sorta. They aren't listed in dot form like they are here but you learn about how many pieces the ball is, how many dimples it has, what the cover material is, the core, etc.

These are all factors that affect spin and distance so WGT turned then into numbers so they could be used in equations here. Better balls will have more numbers but how those numbers are spread out over the categories determines which ball is better for what.

• adaputter
    1,954 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2016 2:41 PM

great work finding the cost of dots on nike balls

1 problem,

10th hole congress. new ball, miss ding it flies in the water,

so all calculations go out of the window

• CEverett12
    14,177 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2016 3:38 PM

What's a dot ?

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Wed, Dec 7 2016 7:38 PM

To Berto,

I actually considered doing it that way, but didn't for the following reasons:

(1)  I wanted something simple to use, without getting into the differences of all the aspects of ball performance.   As was recently stated in another thread, WGT balls accept a greater number of hits for the same durability factor compared to name brand balls.

(2)  I didn't want to try and "weigh" the various aspects of the balls as to which was most important, as that is very subjective.  A dinosaur like me may feel that meter speed is more important than distance, for example. At least on those "bad" days.

(3)  Doing it this way worked well with the "KISS" system.  

My system works OK in that it shows that the Nike balls offer much better performance for around the same cost as a Hex Chrome Cally.  Once you select a meter speed you want to use, that can be dropped from the equation, making it much simplier to compare balls of different brands, like Nike's and Volviks.  

To adaputter,

Your point is well taken, and if I were making a formal report I would refer to that type of  condition as "sunk costs", i.e. "unrecoverable."  It could probably be turned into a research paper worth a big Government Grant looking into why bodies of water have such a high attraction for golf balls.

YJ was absolutely correct in his remarks about buying balls IRL.  But those factors aren't the same for a video game.  For example club head speed varies widely from player to player IRL.  Not so here.  But there are similarities also.  Do you play a bump and run game, or do you want total spin control on all shots?  

As a side note, I found Nike RZN Tour Blacks online for $29.99 per dozen.  Same price we are paying for a virtual version of that ball.

To CEverett12,

Dot is the nickname of that young girl who had that obnoxious little dog.  The one who kept harassing those old ladies in black dresses with the conical hats.  I think she moved to California to get away from the cops.

Thanks to all who responded,

phred952

• Vaibhav5viv
    886 Posts
    Thu, Dec 8 2016 8:04 AM

Berto057:

phred952:

I came up with a simple way for me to compare balls.  I take the cost of 1 ball and divide it by the total number of dots of performance. 

Nike Tour (L92) is 250 credits per ball and has 17 dots of performance.  Cost is 14.706 credits per dot.

Cally L67 Truvis is 208.33 credits per ball.  It has 14 dots of performance.  Cost is 14.881 credits per dot.

phred952

Nice analysis, Phred952.

The only change I'd suggest is normalizing cost to durability, since a 400 credit sleeve of durability 2.0 balls costs the same per hit as a 500 credit sleeve of durability 2.5 balls. 

Using your example, I'd say the true cost of the Cally is 208.33 * (2.5 / 2.0) = 260.41 versus the Nike, since the Nike has durability 2.5 and the Cally 2.0.  True cost of the Cally L67 is 18.601 per dot -- a lot more than the Nike L92.

Apologies if this is confusing.

--Berto

Instead of 2.5/2, you'd better do 120/100 in this case as thats the no of hits of those balls(Guessing Truvis has 100 hits like Callaway Legend tier balls).

• twinponds169
    3,020 Posts
    Thu, Dec 8 2016 8:19 AM

phred952:
    As a side note, I found Nike RZN Tour Blacks online for $29.99 per dozen.  Same price we are paying for a virtual version of that ball.

Took my son school shopping back in August to the Waterloo Outlets near Rochester, Ny. They have a Nike outlet store there and I actually found the Blacks and Platinums for $14 a dozen. Unfortunately, I was unable to use my WGT credits, lol, but I did pick up 6 dozen of them. Managed to play out the rest of the year on one box so I am good to go when April rolls around.  :-)

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Thu, Dec 8 2016 9:06 AM

twinponds169:

phred952:

Took my son school shopping back in August to the Waterloo Outlets near Rochester, Ny. They have a Nike outlet store there and I actually found the Blacks and Platinums for $14 a dozen. Unfortunately, I was unable to use my WGT credits, lol, but I did pick up 6 dozen of them. Managed to play out the rest of the year on one box so I am good to go when April rolls around.  :-)

That is a very good deal.  Probably last years balls since they were in the Outlet Store near the end of the season.  Still a great bargain, especially compared to what we pay here for the virtual ones. I think WGT credits are the equivalent of Russian Rubles from the Cold War days in the marketplace.  lol.

RSS