Forums

Help › Forums

nike balls

Sat, Nov 13 2021 8:02 AM (44 replies)
  • hatcojack
    410 Posts
    Mon, Dec 5 2016 12:08 PM

stupid question here: why can't wgt make their own balls with same specs as the nike balls ???

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Mon, Dec 5 2016 9:28 PM

I think in theory they could make any balls with any specs that they want.  As long as they have a licensing agreement with a manufacturer to use their name and likeness they then don't violate trademark laws. 

They also could make a WGT ball with any specs they like.  Remember the last two years Halloween ball?  It was a WGT Ultra G13 S4D4 Vapor ball in Orange.  It had specs as follows:  Distance 4.5, Spin 3.5, Durability 1.0 and Meter Speed 2.5.  Not available in the pro shop 

They probably have a computer file somewhere for each and every brand and type of ball, including Nike, for example.  They could take any of those files and re-name them and offer a new ball with a new name, but with the same specs.  Or create totally new ones with different specs.

I would guess that licensing and advertising agreements between WGT and Nike have kept them from doing so up to this point.  As to where they go from here, who knows?

All we can do is wait and see what happens.  Or buy a supply of whatever Nike balls you like to use.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Mon, Dec 5 2016 9:38 PM

Just curious.   Is there another golf ball that is equivalent to the Nikes?

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Mon, Dec 5 2016 10:20 PM

mantis0014:

Just curious.   Is there another golf ball that is equivalent to the Nikes?

I came up with a simple way for me to compare balls.  I take the cost of 1 ball and divide it by the total number of dots of performance. 

For example a Cally L33 is 83.33 credits per ball.  It's total performance dots is 11.5  So the ball costs 7.246 credits per dots.  A WGT G13S ball is 33 credits.  It has 5.5 dots of performance.  So it costs 6.00 credits per dot of performance.

A Nike L48 and a Volvik L51 both cost 133.33 credits per ball.  They both have 13.5 dots of performance.  So each dot is 9.876 credits per ball.

When you look at the slower 4.0 meter balls the Nikes are a better value compared to the Callys.   

Nike Platinum  is 216.67 credits per ball, and has 16.5 dots of performance.  Cost is 13.131 credit per dot.  Nike Black is 233.33 credits per ball, and has 16.6 dots.  Cost is 14.056 credit per dot.  Nike Tour (L92) is 250 credits per ball and has 17 dots of performance.  Cost is 14.706 credits per dot.

Cally L67 Truvis is 208.33 credits per ball.  It has 14 dots of performance.  Cost is 14.881 credits per dot.

Hope this helps and isn't too confusing.  I know I threw a lot of numbers around.

phred952

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Mon, Dec 5 2016 10:40 PM

phred952:
     I came up with a simple way for me to compare balls.  I take the cost of 1 ball and divide it by the total number of dots of performance. 

Good Info,   Thx

• mkrizan86
    1,866 Posts
    Mon, Dec 5 2016 11:44 PM

hatcojack:

stupid question here: why can't wgt make their own balls with same specs as the nike balls ???

They already do ;-) Every ball is a WGT ball, they just drew a swoosh on some and called them Nikes ;-) When they take them out, the same ball (coded pixels) with the same performance will get a makeover and be called something else ;-)

• ct690911
    7,203 Posts
    Tue, Dec 6 2016 3:34 AM

I notice much of the cost goes into meter speed...slower speed = higher cost. This is particularly true with Max balls. Even the cheapest ones are pricey...and the only spec offered is a slow meter.

During the free rental we just had, I tried out the level 103 driver. Best in the pro shop. It had 2 yds distance on my current driver, but was a full dot slower (3.5 vs 4.5).

When using it, I was having a lot of trouble with my timing...I kept hitting early. The same goes for the balls.

When purchasing balls, try to ensure the specs you are paying for will be of benefit. 

There is a huge premium being paid for a slower meter...which may not be the best use of money.  In my case, it just throws off my rhythm. 3.5 seems to be my sweet spot. Yours may be different. 

ct

• PaulTon
    10,731 Posts
    Tue, Dec 6 2016 5:31 AM

mkrizan86:
    Every ball is a WGT ball, they just drew a swoosh on some and called them Nikes ;-) When they take them out, the same ball (coded pixels) with the same performance will get a makeover and be called something else ;-)

+1

If you pause a replay and zoom in on the ball you won't see Nike or Callaway on it, every ball has WGT stamped on it, nothing else.

• krskfr
    458 Posts
    Tue, Dec 6 2016 5:55 AM

I bought 300 RZN Nike Balls i love them that much lol...Hopefully they last a long time cause i was worried another ball like this wouldn't come around again. Wonder how long the Nike Balls will be available in the pro shop.

• phred952
    2,714 Posts
    Tue, Dec 6 2016 7:05 AM

To ct, mrizan86 and Paul  +1.

Yes all of your statements regarding all balls being WGT balls are correct.   I did a poor job of stating that fact.  As ct said, meter speed costs more than any other attribute offered.  

The cost of the Max balls  makes them the worst value on site.  I've mentioned (in this thread and elsewhere) my swing timing problems which lead to my using balls with a 4.0 meter speed.   But I never got so bad that i used Max balls, except for the Best of Putting CTTH.

My hope is to get back to using and playing well with a 2.5 meter speed ball, like a Cally L33.    That was my favorite ball and is the best value "premium" ball available.   Or at least a 3.5 meter ball like a Nike L61.

RSS