Forums

Help › Forums

Legend Putting

Fri, Apr 15 2011 8:42 AM (37 replies)
  • hbthree
    478 Posts
    Tue, Apr 5 2011 8:35 AM

Jim...and how ridiculous is this decision...nothing could be further from "irl" than having four different players on the same green, at the same time with a different green speed for each player...ridiculous...hb3  

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 5 2011 9:22 AM

The green speeds aren't different for each player, Harve. The speed defaults to that of the highest tiered player in the foursome and everybody plays the same speed. This is where the confusion mounts because TMs that think they're playing on their green speeds in AS matches where a Legend is playing actually aren't. They're playing on the Legend version. Everybody else is too.

FWIW I make it a routine to mention this during mixed AS matches.

• TarheelsRule
    5,491 Posts
    Tue, Apr 5 2011 1:37 PM

I do as well Jim.  I was under the impression that the TM greens and Legend greens were exactly the same speed.  The speed is an issue, I tend to think it is 15% more rather than 10% but might be in between.  The biggest thing to me is being precise on short putts, under 8 feet.  In fast mode, you just step up and knock those in every time, on the tournament speed better not try to ram those in or you will have 8 feet coming back.  You also get a lot more lip outs on the faster speed, similar to real golf.  Practice makes it better but I don't think getting back to as good as I was at putting on very fast will ever happen on tournament speed, I'm 2 or 3 strokes a round worse, which is an improvement from the 5 I was.

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Wed, Apr 6 2011 11:51 AM

I'm going nuts over here. I would guess somewhere around 60 to 70% of my putts are like this since turning Legend. No one will convince me otherwise that the tolerances aren't tighter once you become a Legend. I never had putts miss this often like the one in this replay. Extremely frustrating.

replay.aspx?ID=2d421b58 ce8b 45c1 9692 9ebd0135f933

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Wed, Apr 6 2011 12:06 PM
    1,644 Posts
    Wed, Apr 6 2011 12:15 PM

Can't get your first replay to work... just a blue screen.

On your second replay, the pace was definitely good.  But not enough break.  Not much I can say except you seem to be underestimating the break on tourney greens.  It just takes time to get over previously learned biases.  It will come around.

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Wed, Apr 6 2011 12:54 PM

First hole of the next round. Ridiculous really.

replay.aspx?ID=79983a1a a7ea 47a8 967d 9ebd0147df49

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Apr 6 2011 3:00 PM

Change something then. Stop trying to do the exact same thing each time-it obviously is not working.

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Wed, Apr 13 2011 1:54 PM

YankeeJim:

Change something then. Stop trying to do the exact same thing each time-it obviously is not working.

Jim, I'm lost! Sorry to keep bringing this up but these types of putt are happening WAY too often since becoming a Legend.

The thing is I wouldn't be as concerned/upset about it but it's happening in RGs so it's usually costing me at LEAST a couple places in the tourneys.

This putt on #16 BP in the 18 hole RG just about does it for me. I can see no way, no how this putt shouldn't have gone in. It's above the hole, going perfect speed. If you watch the hole camera the white tracer line is 3/4 the way over the hole.

Again, I apologize but I'm about at my wits end!

replay.aspx?ID=465d128a 0ce9 4e20 9eae 9ec40155f771

If anyone is seeing things like this happen to them on putts, please post a replay.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Wed, Apr 13 2011 2:47 PM

Wow, DS, that's some bad luck there if you dinged it. If you didn't then there's your answer. I  think that one's different from your other ones because that was just a bad break. The other ones look more like speed issues. You can usually tell your speed is off by how far past the hole you go. 1-2 feet means you're right on but more than that and you probably hit it too hard.

btw-no sorries  :-)

RSS