Forums

Help › Forums

Legend Putting

Fri, Apr 15 2011 8:42 AM (37 replies)
  • DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Mon, Apr 4 2011 7:46 AM

I was just moved to Legend last week and my putting has went to crap. The same putts I had as a tour master and master are now either lipping out or just sliding by the edge. You play this game enough you have a lot of the same putts over and over. So you basically know what line/speed to hit certain putts on.

I guess what I'm asking is do they make the actual game play more precise when you move to Legend? The back tees are tough enough without tightening up other things within the game.

Have any other Legends noticed this or can you give me some advice to what I may be doing wrong?

And no, this is not a "whiny" Legend post. It's just that my putting has completely killed me in scoring in ready goes. Maybe I just need to take a couple weeks off and just practice as a Legend.

Thanks

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Apr 4 2011 7:52 AM

It's 100% speed related, DS. Legend greens are about 10% faster than TM. The biggest reason for lip outs is because the putt's going too fast. Drop your putting strength about 10% and you'll see the difference. Be very aware of down hill putts too. They roll a lot more than you're used to.

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Mon, Apr 4 2011 8:12 AM

Thanks for the reply, Jim. I will take that into consideration but most (not all) of my putts I seem to be missing on the low side. Like I'm not playing enough break. If the putt had more pace (10% faster) it should actually be dead center or missing on the high side.

This might not make any sense but here goes. When the putt is rolling towards the hole, you can usually tell from about 2 feet away if it's in or not. Now the putts seem to "graze" the edge of the hole and roll on by. As a TM those same putts would drop. It's hard to explain without actually seeing it. I'll try to save a replay when it happens again.

• WiredBullets
    103 Posts
    Mon, Apr 4 2011 8:19 AM

It's like Jim said, it's a speed issue. Youre hitting the ball too fast. Whats happening is when you were playing on the slightly slower green speeds the ball was approaching the hole at a slower rate, therefore once it got to the hole it would catch the lip and fall in. Now when it reaches the hole its traveling to fast to catch the lip and slides on past it. 

Think of a car rolling over a dip, if you go over it slowly the tires have time to react to every curve in the road and you feel the car go up and down the dip, however if you travel faster over that dip the tires dont have time to react to the dip and you get more of a gliding over reaction.

Same physics apply here...

• jcs89
    172 Posts
    Mon, Apr 4 2011 8:31 AM

Not sure the issue is speed.  He says that he is missing the putts LOW, which would be attributed to more break and not speed.  If he is putting with too much power, the putts would be consistently missed on the HIGH side.  I've never been a tour master so I never had to make the adjustment from there to legend but I've heard others comment on the difference.  The bottom line is to practice and get a good feel for the speed and the break.  Soon things should be back to normal.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Apr 4 2011 8:50 AM

DarSum:
    It's hard to explain without actually seeing it.

I've seen it and still see it a lot in AS games where TMs and Legends mix. The green speed defaults to the higher tier so unsuspecting TMs are lipping out a lot, as did I before I verified the differences in the green speeds. Concurrent with the green speed increase is a break increase-the faster greens break slightly more and this is where I think you're off a bit.  If toning down the speed doesn't solve your problem (I think it will) try giving more room for the putt to break until you see the difference.

I first thought like you did where the new level brought tighter tolerances. I still think this way because of the way my putts miss, almost as if the hole got smaller. It's just a testimony to how much more difficult the putting is at the Legend level. Heh-wait until Congressional shows up with Championship greens!  :-)

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Mon, Apr 4 2011 9:01 AM

YankeeJim:

DarSum:
    It's hard to explain without actually seeing it.

I've seen it and still see it a lot in AS games where TMs and Legends mix. The green speed defaults to the higher tier so unsuspecting TMs are lipping out a lot, as did I before I verified the differences in the green speeds. Concurrent with the green speed increase is a break increase-the faster greens break slightly more and this is where I think you're off a bit.  If toning down the speed doesn't solve your problem (I think it will) try giving more room for the putt to break until you see the difference.

I first thought like you did where the new level brought tighter tolerances. I still think this way because of the way my putts miss, almost as if the hole got smaller. It's just a testimony to how much more difficult the putting is at the Legend level. Heh-wait until Congressional shows up with Championship greens!  :-)

I wonder why we never see Championship greens anymore? There used to be some on here but I never see them anymore.

On the speed issue, I'll post two putt lengths for Tourney greens. These would be the length I use for FLAT putts.

13 ft I putt 10 ft.

20 ft I putt 15 ft.

See anything wrong with those numbers?

• sixkiller
    1,147 Posts
    Mon, Apr 4 2011 9:21 AM

It all depends on your base line for those distances. If you are saying 13ft=10ft at very fast green speed you are in the ball park (maybe slightly low). But the problems come in on putts with elevation and break. My experience is shorter putts say 8ft and under with uphill elevation play nearly exactly the same as VF greens, downhill play much faster. For most putts uphill at most any reasonable distance up to 40ft say, I use 80% of VF. For any put with downhill elevation I start at 75% and keep reducing that # by 2% for each inch of drop down to a minimum of 50% in extreme cases.

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Apr 4 2011 10:39 AM

DarSum:

13 ft I putt 10 ft.

20 ft I putt 15 ft.

I can't say because the method I use if I have a 10 foot putt I putt it 10 feet. The avatar move method already factors green speed in so it just becomes a matter of aim.

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Mon, Apr 4 2011 10:57 AM

YankeeJim:

DarSum:

13 ft I putt 10 ft.

20 ft I putt 15 ft.

I can't say because the method I use if I have a 10 foot putt I putt it 10 feet. The avatar move method already factors green speed in so it just becomes a matter of aim.

Nevermind. I used the search button. I use the avatar movement also but in sort of a different way than what you do. Thanks.

RSS