Forums

Help › Forums

Legend Putting

Fri, Apr 15 2011 8:42 AM (37 replies)
  • YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Apr 4 2011 11:03 AM

DarSum:
    Avatar move method? Care to elaborate on that? I've never heard it before. Are you saying with this method you can putt a 10ft putt 10ft on fast, very fast or tourney greens?

Most definitely. The method involves assigning a value to each of the moves in the putting action. Nivlac's Putting Tips lays out the basic premise and I swear by it.

This thread goes into a little more detail. (I have since switched to the Ghost putter.)

1,644 Posts
    Mon, Apr 4 2011 12:21 PM

DarSum:

I wonder why we never see Championship greens anymore? There used to be some on here but I never see them anymore.

On the speed issue, I'll post two putt lengths for Tourney greens. These would be the length I use for FLAT putts.

13 ft I putt 10 ft.

20 ft I putt 15 ft.

See anything wrong with those numbers?

Tournament Greens are being reserved for special events (The Opens and other high profile tournaments) as per a post I can't find right now.

I'm going to assume when you say 10ft power for a 13 ft putt that the 10ft portion would be 2/3 of the full 15foot scale.  I would have to say that it is a bit too much speed, but not much.  You can always tell by how far past the hole you go if you had the right speed or not.  I tend to try and put every putt 1-2 feet past the hole any more than that and I know I've hit it too hard (of course that's relative to any downhill slope past the hole)

However, by your description of the issue, I'd have to say that you are not judging enough break into your putt, and I would say you would need to consider the fact that if you have to hit the ball with less pace (relative to a slower green) you definitely need to adjust for more break as the slower a ball rolls the more it will turn on a slope.  Something to keep in mind.

• DarSum
    1,440 Posts
    Mon, Apr 4 2011 2:52 PM

Here's a link to a replay I just saved. I realize the putt was hit a little too hard. It went by 4 ft. But these putts always seem to drop before I became a Legend. This thing appeared to be dead center at about a foot from the hole. Actually camera angle 2 it appears to go directly over the hole. Just seems odd to me.

replay.aspx?ID=e30297f1 b105 4a70 b3e1 9ebb0165e31c

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Mon, Apr 4 2011 4:53 PM

That's a perfect example of the difference between Legend and TM greens! You said it yourself, you hit it too hard. If this is what you're doing slowing down will fix it.  :-)

• grady3rd
    45 Posts
    Mon, Apr 4 2011 5:13 PM

YankeeJim:

That's a perfect example of the difference between Legend and TM greens! You said it yourself, you hit it too hard. If this is what you're doing slowing down will fix it.  :-)

Are you saying that there is a level of green speed beyond tournament?  I have played with many Legends and see only "Tournament" for the green speed.  Or does it only affect the legend player and not the TM?

• suncity28
    1,266 Posts
    Mon, Apr 4 2011 5:23 PM

Think we all all have day`s or weeks when just about every putt from around 10ft lips out or slides past the edge & left shaking your head after the round.

& other days just about every putt drops from any distance.

There are still times when you think they have changed the green overnight or made the green different somehow.

Legend greens I would say are around 10% different in speed from TM some people have said in past topics you will notice a difference on some greens & not others. 

One thing what has helped me is been aggressive with the line I take & speed I use. & if I miss I miss by 1.5ft - 2.5ft. Best thing use what works for you in the past try not to change things to much may be just a dry run you are going threw currently.  

• grady3rd
    45 Posts
    Mon, Apr 4 2011 6:12 PM

suncity28:

Think we all all have day`s or weeks when just about every putt from around 10ft lips out or slides past the edge & left shaking your head after the round.

& other days just about every putt drops from any distance.

There are still times when you think they have changed the green overnight or made the green different somehow.

Legend greens I would say are around 10% different in speed from TM some people have said in past topics you will notice a difference on some greens & not others. 

One thing what has helped me is been aggressive with the line I take & speed I use. & if I miss I miss by 1.5ft - 2.5ft. Best thing use what works for you in the past try not to change things to much may be just a dry run you are going threw currently.  

Okay I'm having trouble following what you are trying to communicate because you are using the terms "Legend greens" and "TM greens", but as I understand it there are only SLOW, STANDARD, FAST, VERY-FAST, and TOURNAMENT green speeds.  Are you saying that when a legend plays on tournament greens they are actually 10% faster than when a TM plays on the exact same tournament green? Or is there an actual Legend green that I have never seen?  Is an adjustment required for all players who play with legends such that their math for Tournament greens must now account for this 10% difference, or is it something that only the legend tier needs to contend with?

• jcs89
    172 Posts
    Mon, Apr 4 2011 7:34 PM

If i am not mistaken, both TM's and legends play on tournament speed greens but the speed of these greens vary slightly depending on your tier.  Legend tourney greens are faster that Tour Master tourney greens.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Tue, Apr 5 2011 3:39 AM

jcs89:

If i am not mistaken, both TM's and legends play on tournament speed greens but the speed of these greens vary slightly depending on your tier.  Legend tourney greens are faster that Tour Master tourney greens.

Yes, that's right... Legend Tourny Greens are faster than Tm Tourny greens, but I've only noticed this a few times... When playing Some R/Go's the Tournament green speed differs and catches you on the hop sometimes.

Just noticed something else today too...Played a couple of normal Ready Go's and the meter speeds were slower than normal. Played the Legend Ready Go and the meter speed was very quick and the greens were faster than normal (Tournament Green speed) It was like putting on the championship greens again., Played another normal Ready Go and the meter speed was slow again.

Has anybody else seen this happen before?

cheers

Roger

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 5 2011 4:37 AM

grady3rd:
     Are you saying that when a legend plays on tournament greens they are actually 10% faster than when a TM plays on the exact same tournament green?

Yes. WGT, in their infinite wisdom, had decided that "Tournament"  means 2 things, depending on what you are. If you are a Legend you play on Tournament speed greens. If you are a TM you play on Tournament greens. Confused yet? 

LEGEND speed greens are 10% faster than TM greens even though they're called the same thing. Go figure.

This is WGT's version of the stimpmeter readings that supports that.

http://wgt.com/forums/p/21297/128876.aspx#128876

RSS