7i is broken again - raptures

rated by 0 users
Sat, Aug 29 2009 10:43 AM (13 replies)
  • PAGES
  • iconian
    599 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2009 8:42 AM

The club is broken again:(

Been noticing same for last few days and I get same comments from others. Generally if you have 140-150 left, you hit full club/bs it flies 130-132 and dies..

Fix it please, as with this new driver, it's the club we use the most for our approaches!

• florida1212
    21 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2009 9:27 AM

I concur with iconian's statement. The 7 iron is now my main approach club with the longer driver, and on the approaches of 145ish yards, the club comes up significantly short.

• groggynoggin
    5 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2009 9:43 AM

I absolutely agree with Iconian – the 7i in the Rapture v2 Iron Set is BROKEN

It is like having two 8 irons in the bag – both clubs, the 8i and the 7i go about 130 yards and die.

This is the normal distance for the 8i (it’s advertised as a 130 yard club) and invariably goes that distance +/- wind conditions, but the 7i is a nightmare. This leaves a relatively large gap between 130 yards and the next club up (6i) at 160 yards.

Please fix it – PLEASE???

Thanks WGT for a great product and for all the effort directed toward recent improvements.

Groggy

• iconian
    599 Posts
    Fri, Aug 28 2009 7:48 AM

I was in the game last night with lee and thundrbird.

drive off #1 BP. 137 left, 6mph straight downwind. i take 145 7i. hit it full bs, like 140.

it goes 128....even 8i, thatsb ratated 130 would go further....

i got a 28+8 putt left....

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Aug 28 2009 10:41 AM

groggynoggin:
    I absolutely agree with Iconian – the 7i in the Rapture v2 Iron Set is BROKEN

It is like having two 8 irons in the bag – both clubs, the 8i and the 7i go about 130 yards and die.

I believe you're exaggerating. There may be a (slight or serious) problem with the club, but it's not as pronounced as you say. I have just performed 8 tests with hitting the club under various circumstances on both Bethpage & Kiawah, and here are the results for your viewing pleasure. Basic balls were used in the test, and the hit made was usually not quite perfect (I suppose the distance would increase further if you hit the mark exactly). Clicking any of the following thumbnails will enlarge them to full size.

• Ball went 141 yards:

• Ball went 139 yards (with 7mph headwind):

• Ball went 140 yards:

• Ball went 140 yards:
    :
    • Ball went 137 yards:
    :
    • Ball went 136 yards:

• Ball went 145 yards:

• Ball went 140 yards:

• iconian
    599 Posts
    Fri, Aug 28 2009 10:48 AM

there 3 palces where i use the most

1 bp, 9 kiw, 18 kiw

always happens when its downwind about 9-11 mph (otherwise i cant get to that distance)

and only way to stop i have to use full BS

do, if u can do another test with downwind, hit using full bs and see your results and post here...

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Aug 28 2009 11:03 AM

I tried to emulate that on Bethpage, hole 1, it's the third pair of pictures above. I used full back-spin and there was 6mph tailwind, but the ball only went 140 yd. I may not have hit it perfectly, but 140 yards does not seem quite enough.

It looks like the club performs more in line with expectations with top-spin & headwind, rather than back-spin & tailwind.  

• iconian
    599 Posts
    Fri, Aug 28 2009 11:11 AM

i dunno what to tell ya then:)

• mrboo
    211 Posts
    Fri, Aug 28 2009 2:13 PM

Well remember BP #1 has that slope you hit into, which kills the ball with any club. 7iron gets a lot of spin from the loft, plus that hole seems to always play a bit further than it says in my experiences. Try no BS, or club up with full BS. 9 and 18 on Kiawah I always play 1 club higher too.. not trying to argue or saying you're wrong, but I've never had a problem with the 7iron...Maybe I just haven't noticed...? meh, who knows.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Fri, Aug 28 2009 2:26 PM

I agree with mrboo's analysis; no Rapture 7i complaints from me either. Plus, I mostly play with the extra-distance balls (GI-D or BX-D), and those help you reach or exceed the advertized 7i distance practically every time.

• PAGES
RSS