Forums

Help › Forums

Extra meter

rated by 0 users
Fri, Sep 4 2009 11:44 AM (39 replies)
  • lilmike24
    185 Posts
    Mon, Aug 17 2009 1:44 PM

I know shot shaping has been an issue for many complaints on this site. Maybe we can get an extra meter. We can have an extra thing in the bottom of our  screen that lets us select how for we draw/fade the ball.  Then we have a meter that lets us see how close we get to the selected item. Say i want to fade it five yards, And i miss it a little to the right on the shot shaping bar. It fades more than i wanted it to. It shouldn't be that hard. If I want to hit it straight and i miss right  on the shot shaping bar, the ball fades a little bit. Someone back me up on this.

• edchavez
    488 Posts
    Mon, Aug 17 2009 2:17 PM

That sounds pretty interesting, Mike. Good suggestion there. I think that would be helpful. I'll back you up on that man!

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Mon, Aug 17 2009 4:40 PM

Simple is better... I kinda get what your saying lilmike.. but if it gets too complicated, the whine-birds will come out.

Overall, I do wish there was a shot-shaping feature... this may be it.

Peace

• Crusty56
    136 Posts
    Mon, Aug 17 2009 5:59 PM

I'm sure "shot shaping" will arrive when a club, or ball, is developed to allow it.

• jasondement
    322 Posts
    Mon, Aug 17 2009 8:35 PM

to be able to hit a fade would be nice. some situations require this shot and to be the most realistic golf game around you should be able to learn to shape shots, i mean you can in real life.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2009 3:12 AM

I myself am not a mouse-friendly person, but am a keyboard fanatic. If we could also shoot the ball using the keyboard only, that would suit me better than the current mouse-only method. But I'm not complaining.

As to draw & fade, I already posted my own suggestion to these forums on 24 July 2009 (see the quote below). My suggestion is to use the LEFT, RIGHT, UP and DOWN ARROW keys of the keyboard to generate draw, fade, top spin & back spin.

By all means, let there also be alternative (mouse) way of achieving these same things, but the idea of a second meter seems a bit complicated; and what could be easier than pressing 1 or 2 ARROW keys on your keyboard at the same time when you release the shot? If WGT also allowed us to release the shot with the CTRL key, for example, to serve as the alternative mouse-click, then simultaneously pressing these 3 keys: CTRL+LEFT ARROW+DOWN ARROW to generate a draw shot with back spin would be a piece of cake!    Right now, you need to drag the dot on the golf ball all the way down with your mouse to generate maximum back spin, and that definitely takes away a few seconds from your 90 seconds per shot limit. If the same effect could simply be achieved by pressing the DOWN ARROW key as your release the shot, this could speed up the game considerably, especially in multi-players.

Faterson:
    Or press the LEFT or RIGHT ARROW key on the keyboard simultaneously with the mouse-click, to generate draw/fade? Just an idea, saw this implemented in a tennis PC game, you could vary your shots & surprise your opponent with the direction of your shot in this way, even though the aim by itself was "dead center" or "straight ahead" by default, as it is in WGT.

UP and DOWN ARROW keys might also be used in this way to generate top spin & back spin, so we don't need to adjust this manually by dragging the dot on the golf ball. WGT has already implemented a great keyboard shortcut, SPACEBAR = ZOOM, why not more of them?

• lilmike24
    185 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2009 6:23 AM

Anybody else want this?

• Syn7aX
    64 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2009 6:44 AM

I think most people would like to be able to shape your shots.  Why not do it the classic way, if you are right of the line then you would fade the ball, left of the line draw the ball.  And depending on how far you are away from the line, the more you fade or draw the ball.  I mean the ball already goes in the direction of the missed line, why not have the ball arc to that point instead of going straight.  They could even leave the endpoints the same.

1,644 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2009 7:15 AM

Here is my proposal for shot shaping...

You move the dot laterally on the same ball that you adjust for spin.  But here's the catch... the amount that the dot is moved left or right will move your 'perfect' line on your swing meter by the same amount, therefore you are not trying to hit the same old line in the middle.  I think this would allow the player to choose the amount of shot shaping to apply, but still keep the element of skill to hit a perfect line that is not in the 'usual' place.  You'd need to adjust your timing in order to execute it the way you intended.

Just my thoughts....

Lee

• jasondement
    322 Posts
    Tue, Aug 18 2009 12:50 PM

Avatarlee is exactly right the best way to do it is with spin thats how its done for real so why make it any more difficult here. That would be simple and the most effective way in my opinion.

RSS