Help › Forums

New 275yd TaylorMade R9 TP Master 8.5deg Driver

rated by 0 users
Thu, Aug 13 2009 6:41 PM (21 replies)
  • kinkydevil
    33 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2009 9:27 AM

Great new driver!

Quitters? Simply implement a quitt 3 times in a day rule and receive a 2 hour ban from WGT

• hbthree
    478 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2009 10:23 AM

Faterson:

People will now start quitting more than ever, hbthree, in order to artificially deflate their average score & move up to the Master tier. They will even now have a good motivation and excuse for doing so.    I'm disappointed WGT does not let Pro players at least buy the best driver. Yes, those Master club sets may really only be suitable for master players who know how to handle them properly, but to deny us the best driver that gives a player a whopping 20 yards of advantage on every drive is rather severe.

Faterson...My comment was not intended to address clubs the WGT makes available or not to Master's level players or others...only intended to comment on ones ability or lack thereof  to reach the Master's Level; sorry for any confusion.   HBThree

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2009 11:52 AM

there is now a work-around solution to your 'quitter' problem.  You can now set it up as a practice round!  Less motivation to quit!  YAY!

It is a workaround, and it's good to have it; however, playing nothing but practice rounds would be demotivating. (The opposite problem.) In fact, I never play practice rounds; they would be very valuable if we had the option of unlimited (or, let's say, a limited number in multi-player) mulligans for each shot. That way you could really learn from your mistakes in a highly efficient manner.

kinkydevil:
    Quitters? Simply implement a quitt 3 times in a day rule and receive a 2 hour ban from WGT

Yes, that's another option besides those already proposed.

WGTadmin2:
    We are also looking into more ways to address the quitters.

Thank you very much for that!  

• TheSpaghettiKid
    424 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2009 3:52 PM

so with the master clubs... the masters will now be able to shoot consistently in the mid to high 50's on bethpage black??

i like the idea of more clubs and realistic distances.  but why do the guys who already score the lowest (even from the farthest tees) get the longest, most accurate clubs?

am i off with this?

• GSpinks1962
    106 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2009 3:55 PM

I don’t see how it’s penalizing a pro for not letting them buy a master club. If anything it would be penalizing the master if they allowed the pro to buy the club. The master tees average more than 20 yards further than the pros. There is no possible logic you can use to make sense out of that one.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2009 4:15 PM

There is: real life. You don't need to submit your scorecards to buy any golf club you wish to possess in real life, GSpinks. The only thing you need to submit (or should I say empty) is your wallet.

I hope WGT change their minds about this. Do let us purchase the best driver, at least. By all means, keep all those full Master club sets for Masters only. But denying us the best driver – outhitting all Pro drivers by 20 yards – is an extreme measure IMHO.  

• drivnchaos
    286 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2009 4:56 PM

This new driver is just what we, in the master tier, deserve. We play from farther back as it is, and now will drive to a reasonable location on the course. I once stated that while playing a pro friend, he out drove me on most of the holes during our match. The clubs in use were all the starters for him, and for me, all the best stuff. I don't think that the masters are gaining an unfair advantage, we're just now being able to drive a distance that's needed and deserved. When I gained my master status the longest driving club available was 240 yrds. That was after getting my average down to 61.47 with all the starter clubs from the amateur tees

Why would anyone want to cheat, ie quit, just to be able to buy a longer driving club. That makes the least amount of sense in my book. Getting a longer driver only to play from the furthest tees ? Sounds like going back to where you started, not taking a step forward.

The last point I'll make is this. If you feel that you should be able to buy the best driver available, wouldn't that be putting yourself in a position of wanting to pad your average even more ? Not to better your average, but to keep playing from the closer tees with a longer driving club ?

• GSpinks1962
    106 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2009 5:08 PM

This is not "real life". This is our virtual world. In real life if I was playing a friend I would chose to play the same set of tees that he is playing. I don't have that choice here. The friends I play with are all pros and out drive me most every hole. I hardly see how that would be a real life senario when I'm supposed to be a higher ranked player. 

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2009 5:17 PM

... and then there are tournaments like our all-round popular August All Ladies tournament, currently in progress, where everyone is playing from the same tees. That by itself is bad; I don't quite understand why I'm supposed to share the same leaderboard (or lack of it) with dozens of Master players. After today's update, the situation got even more absurd: Masters not only get to play from the same easy tees as us, but are now also given a driver outhitting our drivers by 20 yards. Have any of you managed to reach green with your tee shot on hole 6 already?   

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Thu, Aug 13 2009 5:42 PM

Here comes the duck!! Surely one of these days WGT will get it right for everyone!  Ask and you shall recieve, then *** about it! I'll take whatever they give me and like it!

RSS