Forums

Help › Forums

Putting - Feet & Inches.. ???

rated by 0 users
Sun, Aug 2 2009 5:02 PM (5 replies)
  • CrazyHorses
    16 Posts
    Fri, Jul 24 2009 2:57 PM

I haven't seen a thread in relation to this, so apologies if there's one open elsewhere...

My problem is with the putting, particularly slopes...

If Ive got a 10 foot putt with a 1ft Up-Slope, It tends to stop 1-2 foot short of the hole if I play an exact 10 foot putt.

However, if Ive got a 10 foot putt with a 1-inch Up-Slope, it tends to stay much shorter than one would expect. Alot more shorter than 1inch.

Its even worse when putting downhill...

A 2inch Downhiller runs well past the cup... wheras a 1 foot downhiller runs about 1 foot past... based on a 10 yard putting distance.

Has anyone else experienced this, or am I gone completely dillusional??

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Fri, Jul 24 2009 4:40 PM

Please find and read the Putting Distance thread... you will see that on AVERAGE you need to add 1 foot of power for every 1 inch uphill... therefore... 1 foot of uphill = 12" inches = 12 feet more power.

The reverse is true for downhill.  When you see elevation changes in FEET, calculate for INCHES.

Good luck.

• CrazyHorses
    16 Posts
    Sat, Jul 25 2009 3:34 AM

Tnx Snaike, but this I know...

Maybe it isn't clear what Im trying to imply...

Why does 1 inch need the same lee-way as 1 foot?

Up or downhill..

• scoresby
    158 Posts
    Sat, Jul 25 2009 6:17 AM

CrazyHorses:

If Ive got a 10 foot putt with a 1ft Up-Slope, It tends to stop 1-2 foot short of the hole if I play an exact 10 foot putt.

However, if Ive got a 10 foot putt with a 1-inch Up-Slope, it tends to stay much shorter than one would expect. Alot more shorter than 1inch.

A 2inch Downhiller runs well past the cup... wheras a 1 foot downhiller runs about 1 foot past... based on a 10 yard putting distance.

Depending on break:

If you have a 10 foot put and 1 foot rise, your putting power should be strong enough to cause the ball to travel about 22 feet +/- best guess for tolerance.

If you have a 10 foot putt and a 1" rise, your putting power should be enough to cause the ball to travel 11' +/- best guess for tolerance.

10' putt with 2" downhill is an 8' putt +/- best guess for tolerance.

10' putt with 1' downhill is about a 3' - 4' putt +/- best guess for tolerance.

Are you sure you were on the correct putting scale?

Cheers,

*edit* removed rehash of prior post.

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Jul 25 2009 11:18 PM

CrazyHorses:
    Tnx Snaike, but this I know... 

Maybe it isn't clear what Im trying to imply...

Why does 1 inch need the same lee-way as 1 foot?

Up or downhill.. 

Gravity....

• CrazyHorses
    16 Posts
    Sun, Aug 2 2009 5:02 PM

Ok.. tnx

RSS