Help › Forums

Does wind affect putts?

rated by 0 users
Fri, Apr 23 2010 11:55 AM (14 replies)
  • PAGES
  • lagwagon23
    11 Posts
    Fri, Jul 24 2009 12:32 PM

Like if you are putting into the wind does the putt need to be hit harder? Do you adjust for sideways wind?

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Fri, Jul 24 2009 1:38 PM

No.  If it does, I haven't noticed, even in the stiffest of winds.

It used too, but we all complained quite a bit about it.  Used to be that a 10mph wind would blow your putt up a hill, but they removed that a while ago.

• micklen
    221 Posts
    Tue, Apr 20 2010 4:45 AM

Interesting - I just had a 10' putt that according to the green was flat.  For a change I hit it spot on only to see it veer off quite strongly to the left which was the way the 16mph wind was blowing to  

Any comments on this one please

Mick

1,644 Posts
    Tue, Apr 20 2010 5:34 AM

If there are still any doubts on this, play the new CTTH at St. Andrews hole #7 (the putting hole) several times with the exact same aim and power.  You'll find that the wind does play a roll in your putting.  Not nearly as much as it did the last time we "noticed" it.  But it is there.  

• andyson
    6,415 Posts
    Tue, Apr 20 2010 5:43 AM

You'll find that the wind does play a roll in your putting.

Nice one!

Thanks for the confirmation Lee.  It explains my putting woes on the weekly unlimited at St. Andys with high winds, very fast greens.  Had many putts where I went "huh? what was that?".. or some words to that effect.

• Richard4168
    4,309 Posts
    Tue, Apr 20 2010 5:49 AM

micklen:
    I hit it spot on only to see it veer off quite strongly to the left which was the way the 16mph wind was blowing to  

I agree.

This has happened to me too. I don't think the ball is misaligned from the ding either, because it rolled straight to the hole a few putts later, and on other rounds the same day as well when putting on a level green and no break. Strange.

• micklen
    221 Posts
    Tue, Apr 20 2010 8:14 AM

Great - Thanks a lot for the answers - That will cut down the psychiatrist's bill a little ;-)

Mick

• YankeeJim
    25,827 Posts
    Tue, Apr 20 2010 12:34 PM

If there are still any doubts on this, play the new CTTH at St. Andrews hole #7 (the putting hole) several times with the exact same aim and power.  You'll find that the wind does play a roll in your putting.  Not nearly as much as it did the last time we "noticed" it.  But it is there.

I don't get it. How can you tell about wind and putting from that hole?

1,644 Posts
    Tue, Apr 20 2010 1:09 PM

Ummm... k.... I don't get you not getting it.... sorry.  Are you playing the new version of the St. Andrews CTTH challenge?  Have you tried putting it to the exact same spot with the exact same power under different wind conditions.  If you do this you will notice staggeringly different results.

• salamii
    1,058 Posts
    Tue, Apr 20 2010 1:15 PM

Jim,

strong headwind =more speed

tailwind = normal  or less speed

• PAGES
RSS