Forums

Help › Forums

why is there no penalty for not finishing ?

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jul 28 2009 10:36 AM (36 replies)
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Jul 25 2009 2:14 PM

lilrob88:
    What exactly do you mean by "ordinary folks"?

Non-Master players. But don't worry, I only meant it jocularly!  

lilrob88:
    They will simply play a few single rounds to get their stroke avg back.

Ah, there's no simply about it! Remember, quitters are folks who quit their rounds because they're not playing them to their best potential. And it's never easy to play to one's best potential (i.e. to play a round capable of lowering one's average score in an appreciable manner).

lilrob88:
    regardless of a penalty people will still quit.

But they would quit less frequently if at least the mild deterrent proposed in my post (or something similar) were in place. The drop in the number of quitters could make a big difference in the enjoyability of multi-player games here at WGT.

tibbets:
    What I said then is just as true now.

It's true for you. People are different; everyone has different preferences in life and different expectations from this golf game. To you, your primary concern is presumably to remain the no. 1 golfer on this site (and I greatly admire your achievements!) – a concern so paramount it made you erase your Friends catalogue so that there's no stutter to your swing meter.    I'm not criticizing that, merely illustrating the differences in approach. For me, this golf game is just entertainment, nothing more. And the entertainment value of this golf game, the multi-player part of it, is significantly lowered by all those nasty quitters.    I can only quote myself from an earlier post, explaining why quitting disrupts my expectations from the game:

Faterson:
    If I want to play a single-player game, I can launch that instead of a multi-player game that turns into single-player after a few holes. It's a matter of (un)fulfilled expectations.

[...] I'm [...] just an occasional golfer, and I like doing other things on my computer while playing multi-player rounds. [...] That means I enjoy processing my emails, reading the news, etc., while playing a multi-player game. That's why I like foursomes; they move slowly, and I have time between shots to devote to other things. However, after 2 out of 4 folks quit, the speed of the game suddenly becomes a lot faster, and I practically need to focus exclusively on the golf game, which is not what I originally wanted. That's some unfulfilled expectation for ya, and it can be very frustrating.

tibbets:
    people who complain most about other people quitting are, forgive the honesty, achingly average players

Yes! I'm an achingly mediocre golfer and proud of it!    But, as the owner of 4 full club sets, I believe I'm also a top-of-the-line WGT customer, and that should give me, at the very least, the right to join RastusP, the thread author, in his plea to make it more difficult for folks to quit multi-player rounds at the whim of a second.

1,644 Posts
    Sat, Jul 25 2009 6:48 PM

One solution to it all.... all the quitters and all the complainers about quitters............. wait for it...................it's coming.................................it's been said many many times before............................MAKE MULTIPLAYER WORTH NOTHING.  PERIOD.  It is meant for a friendly causal game.  Those who want to worry about average can go quit their ranked rounds.....

• GSpinks1962
    106 Posts
    Sat, Jul 25 2009 7:00 PM

Better solution...  anyone that types the word quitter in a post gets banned from the forums for a week.

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sat, Jul 25 2009 7:17 PM

GSpinks, I only wish, 15 pages of quitter forums, and they just keep rolling in! I think they should put some towels in the pro shop, for the whiners to use! My 2 cents. :) Plus i wanted my Duck on here.

• GSpinks1962
    106 Posts
    Sat, Jul 25 2009 7:22 PM

LOL   you from OK i'm in owasso

• iconian
    599 Posts
    Sat, Jul 25 2009 7:51 PM

Let me answer this question once and for all. Let my answer be the law

"Because I said so!"

if you have problems, complain to wgt, stop posting 20 times in 1 thread for something that is NOT a problem.

there are many things that NEED to be fixed or added to the game, reworking how something works WELL, is not something I WANT wgt to waste their time on.

your biggest problem is simple: you haven't met friends here with who to play who respect you, thus not quit on you.

who are you to dictate to someone who they should play? maybe someone enjoy's quitting; maybe someone enjoy's having low average; what does it matter to u? if they quit, continue with your round, this ain't a team game, what someone else scores, doesn't reflect on what you score. ARC cheating has been removed a long time ago, so they aren't helping your score.

u don't see tiger holding hands with phil during a round  and when phil leaves to take a leak, u don't see tiger cry bout it.

grow up, man up, and get some friends...

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sat, Jul 25 2009 10:26 PM

Can I get an Amen here LOL, thank s Icon

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Jul 25 2009 10:33 PM

One solution to it all.... [...] MAKE MULTIPLAYER WORTH NOTHING. PERIOD.

Not a good solution, I'm afraid. There are quite a few players here who play almost nothing but multi-player rounds, some of them amazing (both players and rounds). I played a round yesterday with a Master who shot a -3 on the front 9 of Bethpage Black; it was fascinating both to watch him play & read his comments on strategy, course management, etc. It simply wouldn't be fair for such rounds not to count towards a player's average score. (This happened to be a Master with a 70+ average score, clearly one of those who honestly record all of their rounds, good or bad; I was happy to see that the round he played with us mediocre players propelled him back into the 60s average score range.)

GSpinks1962:
    anyone that types the word quitter in a post gets banned from the forums for a week.

The classic shoot the messenger strategy.    (Instead of eliminating a problem, eliminate those who complain about it. Coming from a formerly totalitarian country, I know exactly just what you're proposing there.)

claremoreblue:
    15 pages of quitter forums, and they just keep rolling in!

You meant anti-quitter forums, right?    To reply, I can only quote myself from an earlier post:

Faterson:
    Users shouldn't be blamed for the absence of moderators in these forums. Moderators would have merged [all these anti-quitter] threads into 1 and put it in the proper forum section. I volunteer to merge all redundant threads (instead of playing a few rounds of golf!), should I ever be named a (temporary) moderator of this forum (I earn my living with such tasks, too). Every second week or so, yet another thread gets started with the same question, Can we play other courses besides BB in multi-player?; every five days or so, yet another thread gets started devoted to complaints about club distances, etc. If there are no moderators to merge/lock such threads / pin recurrent topics to serve as alternative FAQ, these irritations won't go away, but users shouldn't be primarily blamed for the resultant redundancies.  

iconian:
    Let me answer this question once and for all.

If that was your intention, you failed miserably.   

iconian:
    stop posting 20 times in 1 thread for something that is NOT a problem.

... for you. It's clearly a problem for lots of WGT players, otherwise there wouldn't be so many posts by so many different players on this same issue. Forgive me, iconian, but it strikes me a tad arrogant to proclaim that something is "not a problem" just because it's not a problem for you, an elite player.

Also, I'm not sure what you mean by "posting 20 times in 1 thread" and whom you're addressing with that comment. Yeah,  RastusP went overboard on page 1 of this thread (although in a righteous cause), replying to his own comments, and I told him so myself. As to me, I only post replies to a thread in reaction to comments and suggestions made by other posters, and I trust that's fully legitimate. It would be the death of most discussion forums if each poster were only allowed to post a single time in any thread.  

iconian:
    your biggest problem is simple: you haven't met friends here with who to play who respect you, thus not quit on you. who are you to dictate to someone who they should play? [...] grow up, man up, and get some friends...

Not sure to whom these ad hominem, emotional comments are addressed. It's definitely a recommended practice to read the posts in a thread to which one is about to contribute, instead of posting a predictable, emotional, knee-jerk reaction that contributes nothing to the rational, reasoned discussion of solutions proposed in that thread. As to why quitters disturb me personally, I've already explained that in earlier posts twice, and that explanation, as you can see for yourself, has nothing to do with your hypotheses promulgated above.   

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sat, Jul 25 2009 11:31 PM

Ok.. wall of text gets ignored.. so no fancy quote / response quips from me.

Dude, as was said earlier... golf is a game of me against the course.  I am trying for my personal best.  If you come along and your personal best is better than my personal best, great.  If the reverse is true, great.  I am not playing you, I am playing the course. 

If I have to bail in the middle of a round, so freaking what?  It doesn't matter.  Get over it.  Find something else to worry about.

Good gods, man, if you really have this much energy to put toward other people not PLAYING A GAME THE WAY YOU WANT IT PLAYED, you have much bigger issues than someone quitting your MP round.

People quit, games end, deal with it and move on.  Just please, can we end the whining?

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Jul 26 2009 12:14 AM

Snaike:
    Ok.. wall of text gets ignored..

I don't quite see how you can expect to make a meaningful contribution to a discussion if you don't even bother to read what your fellow posters have to say.    The result, then, are posts beside the point, not addressing the issues actually discussed in the thread. (See iconian's most recent post; by the way, I absolutely value and greatly enjoy reading iconian's posts in these forums, just not that very latest one.)  

Snaike:
    Just please, can we end the whining?

I can only speak for myself, and I'm not aware of any "whining" on my part. I'm simply discussing possible solutions for an issue that is clearly making lots of WGT users unhappy.

RSS