Forums

Help › Forums

Re: My country can't play all tournaments

rated by 0 users
Mon, Jul 13 2009 10:24 AM (9 replies)
  • chicko
    3 Posts
    Sun, Jul 12 2009 6:03 AM

I wonder why it is that not all countryes can play in all tournaments. I can understand that some free tournaments are closed for some countries, but the ones where we have to pay credits for playing, should be available to all countryes.

Does anyone know if theres some changes about that in the future ?

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Sun, Jul 12 2009 7:14 AM

you can't play in these tournaments because your government won't let you.

international gaming laws and what not.

Search "government" over there ------->

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sun, Jul 12 2009 3:34 PM

Let us play if we're willing to forfeit all prizes. No government can object to that. I'd just like to participate in the weekly stroke play tournaments; I don't need to win anything.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sun, Jul 12 2009 5:30 PM

I don't think it's as simple as that.  Allowing everyone in would cause WGT to have to completely overhaul their tournament payout system to account for those not eligible to get paid.

All in all it sounds like a lot of extra & unnecessary work.  They are working to get as many countries involved as possible.  Unfortunately, red tape gets in the way quite a bit.

Now what they should do is expand the International Open to a weekly format.  Or make sweeps tournaments for all to enter and the winner is randomly drawn like the CTTH sweeps.  But I'd favor the first option personally.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Mon, Jul 13 2009 12:14 AM

nivlac:
    I don't think it's as simple as that.  Allowing everyone in would cause WGT to have to completely overhaul their tournament payout system to account for those not eligible to get paid.

All in all it sounds like a lot of extra & unnecessary work.

I don't see "a lot" of work, care to elaborate? If the play is for money, the money won by players from other than the (currently) 10 lucky countries would simply be distributed to players from those 10 countries. The same with credits, etc. Don't quite understand where the difficulty should lie, it's a trivial question of mathematics, isn't it? If there are 200 dollars to distribute, it does not really seem to require a "complete overhaul" of anything to pay out those dollars/credits/prizes to 10, 15, or 20 people based on what country they're from. What's the big deal?  

PS: Good idea about the Weekly International Opens, because currently we only have a single stroke play tournament per month to compete in.  

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Mon, Jul 13 2009 12:24 AM

The forum isn't the place for your argument, since you are insistent on keeping it going.

Take it up with WGT at members@worldgolftour.com and get an answer from them.  You are far from the first person from a non-supported country who has brought up this issue, and complaining about it will not change a thing.

• chicko
    3 Posts
    Mon, Jul 13 2009 2:24 AM

I just want to say, maybe it sounds like it, but it was really not a complaining, only a question. And i got my answer in the first comment. I dont think its WGT's problem, im shure they are doing all they can to get so many countryes as possible, in to the tournaments. But i like the idea with a weekly international open, that would be nice.

If i remember correct, is the Danish government about to change the law.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Mon, Jul 13 2009 7:03 AM

tibbets:
    complaining about it will not change a thing.

I wasn't complaining, only submitting a suggestion because I haven't seen anyone else submit that suggestion before. If they did, please post the link; I don't think there is one. Also, I was merely replying to another poster's assertion that implementing that suggestion would entail "lots of work". It's not clear why it should, so I merely asked for clarification.

A bit unfair to dismiss someone else's suggestion as "complaining", especially in the light of this and similar mega-posts.    To quote a famous person, "obviously I'm not one of 'those whiners' who complain about every sort of thing the game has to offer."    

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Mon, Jul 13 2009 7:28 AM

Like I said, put all your suggestions and questions regarding it to the email I listed above.  It's not up to me or any of the other players here to figure out the logistics of why you cannot compete in these tournaments, as we are powerless to enact or enable anything.

This is the second different thread you have posted on regarding your inability to compete in paid tournaments.  You have other avenues availiable to you, namely speaking to WGT directly, and also to your local government officials regarding the legalitiy involved in Slovakia.  I can understand your frustration with the situation, but to use another famous quote, "You're barking up the wrong tree".

This thread and the response from WGTadmin2 below is the latest official response regarding your issue.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Mon, Jul 13 2009 10:24 AM

I'm aware of that official response and I applaud it.

However, you & WGTadmin2 are talking about one thing and I'm talking about another. You talk about making other countries eligible to win prizes, whereas I'm talking about allowing folks from other countries to enter all tournaments, even though they won't be able to win anything.

Those are 2 wholly different things. Whereas it may take years for WGT to tackle the former concern (if the European Union is famous for anything, it's the "Brussels bureaucracy"), it may take just minutes for WGT to accept the latter suggestion. (It's still a bit surprising the 27 EU countries aren't treated en bloc in this matter; the laws & regulations in this area in each country seem to differ more than one would readily suppose.)

So, the suggestion is... Instead of showing us the following notice when we click on 6 out of 7 links to any month's tournaments:

BASED ON YOUR COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE, YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO ENTER THIS TOURNAMENT.

... the following notice would be a lot more user-friendly:

BASED ON YOUR COUNTRY OF RESIDENCE, YOU ARE NOT ELIGIBLE TO WIN ANY PRIZES OR REWARDS IN THIS TOURNAMENT. DO YOU STILL WISH TO PARTICIPATE? yes / no

tibbets:
    You're barking up the wrong tree.

I don't think so.    I'm barking up the same tree you did in posting your excellent treatise on WGT vs. TWO. I'm simply sharing my idea(s) on how this game might be improved; that's what discussion forums are for. (Though I agree this thread would be better placed in the Product Suggestions section; alas, there's apparently no moderator to put errant threads to their proper places.) 

tibbets:
    Like I said, put all your suggestions and questions regarding it to the email I listed above.

Yes, that's another option besides publicly discussing improvements.   (I've also sent the above to members@worldgolftour.com as recommended by you.) I certainly wouldn't have posted here if there had been no participation in this forum by WGT staff, but there is. They've already accepted quite a few suggestions from users via this forum, so why not this suggestion? It's definitely worth a try.

tibbets:
    This is the second different thread you have posted on

Well, users shouldn't be blamed for the absence of moderators in these forums. Moderators would have merged those threads into 1 and put it in the proper forum section. I volunteer to merge all redundant threads (instead of playing a few rounds of golf!), should I ever be named a (temporary) moderator of this forum (I earn my living with such tasks, too). Every second week or so, yet another thread gets started with the same question, Can we play other courses besides BB in multi-player?; every five days or so, yet another thread gets started devoted to complaints about club distances, etc. If there are no moderators to merge/lock such threads / pin recurrent topics to serve as alternative FAQ, these irritations won't go away, but users shouldn't be primarily blamed for the resultant redundancies. 

Enough blabber for now, I'm done!  

RSS