Forums

Help › Forums

Stoli Ads Killing CPU - Resolved

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jul 23 2009 4:12 PM (9 replies)
  • nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Jul 22 2009 10:56 PM

It's really hard to see because I had to shrink it, but my CPU usage at this time was 79% just for being on the forum.  It was red-lining at 98% just a second prior to this capture.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Jul 22 2009 10:57 PM

Agreed.  Just like the Us Open banner was doing before.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, Jul 23 2009 11:31 AM

Still having a lot of issues this afternoon.  Is there any way to block the flash loading?  I've tried blocking images from the ad sites, but that doesn't seem to help.

Firefox 3.5.1

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Thu, Jul 23 2009 11:38 AM

I had to bail from a MP game because my machine was running at 100%... I had no other apps running, cleared cache etc etc... still 100%.  Quit the MP game, still 100%.  As soon as I closed WGT (With the stoli ad running) I was back to 3%.

Please kill this ad.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, Jul 23 2009 11:47 AM

Temporary Workaround for Firefox:

Download the FLASHBLOCK add-on for Firefox

Install add-on & restart Firefox

Go to Tools > Add-ons > Flashblock OPTIONS

Add www.wgt.com to the whitelist

Resume normal gaming pleasure! :)

Please remember that WGT pays the bills with their advertising revenue.  If your PC is not being affected or slowed down by the ads then there is no need to block them!

• Ryan.Anderson
    19 Posts
    Thu, Jul 23 2009 2:01 PM

Try right clicking and changing flash quality to low or medium. However, it shouldn't be using so much cpu, sounds like something isn't quite right. My pc shows no difference whether it's there or not.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, Jul 23 2009 2:04 PM

You probably have a much better PC.  Mine's kind of a POS. :) 

I tried switching the quality to low, but that only lasts until the page is refreshed.  Next reload, it was back to high again.

And for what it's worth, the slow down was only happening during the actual animation.  Once the banner was finished, everything was ok.  It would take 10 seconds before that would happen tho, so every page was killing me.  FF even hung on me once or twice. :(

It is working beautifully now though with the flashblock add-on.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, Jul 23 2009 3:54 PM

One additional note for this workaround.  You'll want to disable the flashblock once you leave WGT OR  manually whitelist any sites you visit on a regular basis that utilize flash components.

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Thu, Jul 23 2009 3:57 PM

We will take the ad off the site for now--it should be down within an hour. Sorry for any inconvenience.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Thu, Jul 23 2009 4:12 PM

They are gone and everything seems back to normal speed.  Thanks! :)

RSS