Forums

Help › Forums

GETTING TRUE SCORES POSTED

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 11 2009 9:48 PM (33 replies)
  • tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Wed, Nov 19 2008 5:57 AM

Good responses guys.  I'm glad the ideas are flowing!

I do agree that eventually Multiplayer rounds should be ranked.  Perhaps in the future there will be Multiplayer tournaments, seasonal rankings, awards based on scoring average, match play, etc., but for now we are in the infancy of of what this game will become.  My suggestion to remove rankings from multiplayer sessions was simply based on keeping things in the scale with which they operate currently, and that is in Beta mode.  Playing these multiplayer sessions is good:  we can iron out the kinks in the system, provide the WGT staff with our input and observations, and generally work toward a more complete and polished product.

At current, the failure rate for Multiplayer sessions is too high for any accurate ranking to be applied.  Note that when you create and/or join a group and that Start Now button is pressed, you are automatically initiated into a game on hole #1, whether you actually reach hole #1 or not.  If the game crashes at that point, every player would be penalized for 'quitting' the game on the first hole, regardless of the reason.  Until some of these connection issues are sorted out, you wouldn't find people very eager to play Multiplayer sessions for fear of the game crashing and getting burdened with some penalty for something that had nothing to do with how they played.

We are trying to encourage people to play in all modes, not discourage them through penalties.  This is why I stick to my original point of taking rankings out of Multiplayer sessions.  People can just play golf worry-free, and will be encouraged to finish more rounds.  The more people play and provide feedback about the game itself (not forums filled with comments about other players habits) the better off the game will be in the long run.

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Wed, Nov 19 2008 7:36 AM

You make a good point there and one that I did not fully consider.  There are a still a decent amount of connection issues that are preventing people from playing and quitting games that they normally wouldn't quit and sometimes it is completely out of their control. 

Perhaps a middle ground could be acheived where if the first hole score is posted then the round is officially underway.  I don't wish to actually penalize players that drop early with extra strokes or a 5 point bump in the average.   I'm just agreeing with the OP that when a player does drop, scores on completed holes could be worked into their average instead of just lost completely.  But again, none of this can really happen until the connection failure rate is below 5% or even lower.

Sometimes I forget that this thing is still just a Beta because it already plays so well and my excitement for what's to come can sometimes get the better of my expectations. :D

• sk8inscott
    3 Posts
    Wed, Nov 19 2008 2:56 PM

In response to the idea of posting all scores, I DON'T AGREE.  If anyone is like me, they are normally doing multiple things at once on the computer, and every now and then my iTunes will switch songs, or a download will complete, and the swing timing gets all screwed up and my ball gets lost or something. 

Until the computer is always perfect, I don't want to post scores that aren't due to my personal fault, but that of my technology.  So, these score I toss out.  I usually post all scores though, just sometimes glitches happen.

sk8inscott

I have a post about RPG style stats, and that would take care of this dilemma.  If you don't finish your round, you wouldn't get any stat points and your player would suffer.  Thus finishing rounds will have a reason other than bettering your average score.

Good idea in a perfect virtual world, just can't work without screwing some people over badly, especially those with slower connections.

• PeteBolte
    172 Posts
    Fri, Nov 21 2008 4:09 PM

Another 2 cents.  I'm running out of pennies!

I disagree with your concept tibbets of not scoring multiplayer rounds.  Yes, the pace is slower but so it is in real life and one has to wait one's turn.  Just because one has to wait doesn't detract from them making a good shot, or bad shot, when they hit.  That's on the person hitting.  If they get distracted because of the wait, that's on them also.  It comes down to concentration on the shot in that moment of time.

So...one's a great single player but a bad multiplayer?  Then that person should examine themselves as to why.  One should be as good, or bad, at both.  If one's a bad multiplayer but a good single player, one should question themselves and figure out ways to improve.

The last I checked the pros, there were at LEAST 2 players in final groupings and max 4 in the first round.  They have to wait too.  We do nothing more than they do in Multiplayer.

I say, leave it as is unless there's some sort of practice round initiated by WGT where the scores don't count against your average.

Hell, right now, I don't like being a "72" but at least it's honest.  At the same time I have to admit I also have quit prior to the end of the round because it'll hurt my '***'.  In all honesty, that's not right so I vow to go through to the end no matter what my score.  That's the honorable thing to do.  WGT granted me Amateur status and I have to live up to that.  If I lose it?  That's my fault too.

Pete

• PeteBolte
    172 Posts
    Fri, Nov 21 2008 4:11 PM

Also, please forgive me, I missed the page 2 comments..............  :(

• GMTIM
    32 Posts
    Fri, Jan 2 2009 12:12 PM

These ideas of only ranking certain games is interesting but I have to disagree with the thought unless we are only worried about haviong the best scores and not enjoying the game for what it is "GOLF". For all that play the real game when weather permits of course, you know that there are many variables in the game......should I not figure my handicap on the days that my side hurts or my shoulder is stiff or maybe I have a hang-over????? Did anyone go to tee of and someone sneezes or a bird flys by and it throws off your swing??? These little quarks are part of life and part of the challenge. This is true in WGT play sometimes the swing meter speed is off and sometimes it stutters and sometimes the wind doesn't have a consistant affect on the balls flight. Did any off this happen to you in real play???? Happens to me everytime I play. In a perfect world we would all be Pros but that would not give us any fun.....so why do we expect perfection in all aspects of the game here. After all it is a game and requires an average not a constant. Hole #4 sucks than make up for it on #5 and #6.

I hear to much crying about the inconsistancies in the game, is it the game? the computer? the internet connection? or the user? there is no clear way to tell unless you are just that good and I don't think that you are so quit blaming and have some fun. Or you can play me and have a laugh !!!!!!!

GMTIM

• Fonzi
    17 Posts
    Mon, Jan 5 2009 8:37 PM

reading this post it would seem that some people want cake and to eat it to

The pace of multiplayer golf is fine,in fact its very quick compaired to real golf, so any complaints about people taking to much time, is quite absurd and just show signs of bad habits of restarting often during single player rounds,,,,,,,ever play a real round of golf? you get a lot more time even in pro-format then this golf gives

people want to restart often, even request the game allow them to restart per-hole during skill challenges, yet complain if someone quits multiplayer and assume its always because of score...

Not everyone wants to see this game become 'as fast as you can click' to play...

nor see it become some grind fest where people often click as fast as possible to reset or restart till they have the lowest scores

What would be nice is to see true scores posted, be they multiplayer, single player or skill....

if you do not finish the round.....you are penalized to ensure people dont quit and use other excuses,  age old problem in online games,, someone quits, someone gets DQ'd , real life calls, etc....always an excuse as to why there shouldnt be any penaty, the thing is, something should be in place either way.

I would not like to see players hide in single player mode restarting at will with no penaty,quitting multiplayer to save a bad score being posted, and being able to reset or restart skills at will till they end with a score they like.

I think they should remove the option to Forfeit the game when you return from quitting, spilling coffee,, the kids, etc...whatever excuse ...so what

make so when they log back in they must finish the round and the round is counted,

then peeps would think twice about quitting or resetting , they would just have to complete it again when they log back in and have it count

• BiRdyKiNg
    30 Posts
    Wed, Jan 7 2009 4:16 PM

I will say this.....does quitting out really help a player in the long run??..not really.....i mean who cares if someone averages 70 or 74...its the same tier and basically the same lvl of play.  I know for tournaments etc, just like in real golf, you typically want want a higher average going in to raise the handicap.  Think about it.....do I want to average 68...or 69?   In this game there is a huge difference and soon I will be feeling it when i get ranked amateur with 1-2 more posted under par scores..which will happen.  That being said do I then have any chance in hell to compete with Tibbets and the likes who average 29-33 with the tees moved back?..........nope not for a lonnnng time.   

Biggest improvement to me would be more scoring tiers.  Someone like me, averaging 34-35  at the hack tees is screwed when I hit amateur because of the huge gap between the top eshelon and someone like myself.  To be honest it will take a lot of the fun out just because of that fact.  There is a much, much larger skill gap between someone averaging 60-66 at amateur than someone averaging 66-74 at hack....period..end of story....just saying

BiRdyKiNg

• BiRdyKiNg
    30 Posts
    Wed, Jan 7 2009 4:20 PM

As far as GMtim's comment about inconsistency.....i have found a few, but in reality they can be overcome......otherwise there wouldn't be ppl averaging 59-65 at amateur ranks...again..just saying.....

BiRdyKiNg

• SkipMan20
    29 Posts
    Tue, Jan 13 2009 9:25 PM

Keep it Real, Have some Fun!

i am late to this debate, i first want to share some information.  I have posted 58 rounds for a 62.62.avg.  i have quit at #.9 many times with a 33 and 32, i have not posted serveral tournament scores of 33 and 34 many times as to keep my ranking, and not drop my avg. credits lost did not concern me, in a couple of prize tournaments i have been fouth and never posted the 33 or 34 because i was out of the top three winning postions. Staying with the players ahead of me and being ranked in the world in this game was and is my goal. (players quit games to protect their ranking..ie great games played for many reasons) i have about 7-10 players ahead of me in the world. Now i hate players that quit before # 9, you should have consideration for the other player, if you are in the game, at least go to 9. I will play to 9 bad or good. i know this is not a true handicap and you should post them all, but this is a computer game and until the application is ready to record all scores with clean play you have to play it as it is, meaning post the good scores, you shot them, post them, how many of you that have posted all your scores shot 30, 31, or 32,  25 times combined in your career. i will hold my skills and stroke record up to anyone crying foul! it is too many good players to cry, we all have a shot! keep swinging. it's early!

having shared that info, i will say i would prefer every round counts, all rounds you start should count in single player mode, no rounds should count in Multi-Player mode.There are too many varibles in multi-player mode. and the system is operating in beta mode with slow downs and no-loads. 

RSS