Forums

Help › Forums

GETTING TRUE SCORES POSTED

rated by 0 users
Thu, Jun 11 2009 9:48 PM (33 replies)
  • GOBUCKEYES
    20 Posts
    Tue, Nov 18 2008 10:18 AM

now yes i have done this also and im sure everyone who reads it will have to but everyone who plays golf knows you dont always shoot the best score and what all of us are doing is if we dont have a good round we leave before hole nine is over and it doesnt count well id like to see that changed like once you have started the round you must finish when ever or the computer ccan caculate just like it does now for 18 hole score average so if you leave after 3 holes at 2 over thats caculated as such i feel it will allow us all to have more realistic scores posted just my thought

GOBUCKEYES

CHRIS

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Tue, Nov 18 2008 11:04 AM

Big fan of this request.  I'm tired of folks not posting their bad scores in fear of a higher average.  It really skews the rankings.

*edit* Just had a player disconnect on 9 so as not to post a score. Myself and the other fellow with us got stuck loading, so he had to disconnect too.  So basically the whole group fell apart because of it.  Still posted my pathetisad 39 if anyone was wondering. ;-)

• glhadiator
    39 Posts
    Tue, Nov 18 2008 12:56 PM

That's a good suggestion GOBUCKEYES. But I must add that there are 'issues' with the current ranking system now. With that in mind I don't give someone's rank/position that much relevancy at this time. If in doubt let the course reveal all!

However, if WGT applies some of the recognition and status awards that have been suggested they will undoubtedly have to create a requirement of some kind that the player finish the round.

Glhad

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Tue, Nov 18 2008 2:10 PM

Easiest and fairest answer is to have Multiplayer rounds not count as ranked games.  Here's why:

The pace of multiplayer is quite a bit slower than single player, affecting the timing and concentration of the player.  Varying connection speeds, skill levels, etc of the players make for a very choppy and broken golfing experience.  Contrast this with the speed with which single player plays and you'll see that it a totally different game.  If it's going to take 45 minutes to play 9 holes, forget it, the game should not be ranked. 

I have posted my opinion on this matter in previous posts, stating one should concentrate on ones own game, and not worry about what the other players are doing.  The tournaments are where the truth of the matter lies, and the statistics there speak for themselves.

Yes, I end rounds early sometimes, for a various number of reasons.  I also have nearly 190 ranked rounds recorded.  If we want to talk apples to apples, thats 30 more rounds than the 3 golfers posted above...combined.  Keep that in mind when deciding if averages are elevated or not. 

My vote is for taking the rankings out of multiplayer for now and ending this issue once and for all.  Consider it a play/practice round with your friends, nothing more.  Shoot for average on your own time.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Tue, Nov 18 2008 2:26 PM

I would also add that in the future as players prgress from one tier to another and new tiers are added, all scores should be reset to zero with a minimum number of ranked rounds completed before a player is elegible to be ranked in that tier.  This will assist in making sure that people are playing enough ranked rounds to get a decent idea of where they stand in the pecking order.

• WGTalex
    2,087 Posts
    Tue, Nov 18 2008 2:28 PM

Thanks for your suggestions. Nivlac, you should be able to finish playing even when a person drops out. Does this happen for you every time someone drops out, or just this time? How long did you wait for loading until everyone decided to drop out?

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Tue, Nov 18 2008 3:10 PM

Yes Alex, I was able to complete my round by myself once everyone else left.  The other fellow was still chatting with me while he waited to load.  After about 5 minutes he gave up and disconnected. I then was immediately able to pick up where I left off. 

Truth be told though, I believe this is the first time I've lost other people in the group because of someone disconnecting early.

-----

In response to tibbets, I like the idea of having your average be reset once you progress tiers.  Like you said, it forces you to the bottom rung of the ladder and you get to work your way up.  I think players would get an even further sense of accomplishment from that as opposed to being planted into the middle of a tier based on a scoring average they attained at the previous tier and dropping ranks quickly because they are getting accustomed to new yardages, clubs and so forth.

Although I agree with your point that multiplayer interrupts flow, I'm against the idea of eliminating ranked multiplayer only because that is not the solution to the problem.  The issue here is a player disconnecting in order to avoid posting a bad score that will up his/her average.  Whether that disconnect happens in single-player or multiplayer is irrelevant. I do understand that, for whatever reason, sometimes people just have to go or the system disconnects them.  You can still finish the round later.  However, if you find that 25% of a player's rounds (arbitray number) are quit early and forfeited, then the system is clearly not being used as intended.

When WGT chose to use scoring average as a ranking, I'm assuming they intended it to be similar to a golf handicap. That is evident in the system they chose to score the averages.  They probably chose scoring averages for more precision simply because they're carried out to 2 decimal places whereas a real golf handicap is always a whole number. It's not exactly the same as handicapping, but it is very similiar.  Handicaps and scoring averages are both intended to be a reflection of how you're playing right now, not an aggregate average of your lifetime scores. Because of that, the sheer number of rounds played is irrelevant as well. 

In real life, the handicapping system requires players to enter their scores into the computer that is in the pro shop after every round.  It's the only way to keep the handicap true and accurate to the player's ability right now.  The real life equivalent to disconnecting early (and not finishing) is walking off the 18th green at your country club and getting right into your car and leaving instead of entering that poorly played 12-over-par 84 into your posted 4 handicap like you should.  In the end, these players are only cheating themselves.

Golf has always been a game of honor and although in real life there is no way to make sure everyone enters their scores, in this realm of digital golf there is and that should be taken advantage of.  Sometimes the intangibles are just as important as the tangibles. Honor and integrity should most certainly be at the forefront of anything billed as "The most realistic golf game ever."

Phew, I am long winded today. :o

• marioh
    1,055 Posts
    Tue, Nov 18 2008 3:43 PM

I just realized recently that quitting doesn't affect your scoring average.

I was kind of disappointed by that, knowing that I have finished all but 1 game and my average shows it.   But, it is nice knowing that my average is a true indicator of my skill level (or lack thereof) in this game.

I'll still continue to play out my rounds, but it is annoying when I have someone drop out of a MP game because they're not doing well, and don't want it to affect their average.   So I like Tibbets suggestion in regards to multi player games not being ranked.

• glhadiator
    39 Posts
    Tue, Nov 18 2008 4:58 PM

This is turning into a really good debate. I just wanted to comment on what tibbets said about the multiplayer game. If the ranking is to reflect a players true skill at that time, then it would be necessary to exclude multiplayer for the very reason tibbets stated. If the game is operating jerky it most definitely will effect your game and doesn't reflect ability but game performance.

I would also like to add that even if a player drops out of a round of golf doesn't mean their average is a collection of lucky games.

Glhad

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Tue, Nov 18 2008 5:17 PM

I don't mean to imply there aren't a host of fine players around here.  I see tournament and skill challenge results and I generally see those top players near the top of those leaderboards week in and week out.  tibbets himself, Iconian, and AvatarLee spring to mind immediately just to name a few.

It's just that other group of players I'm not too thrilled about.

I do agree though, nothing beats a round a golf like a rousing discussion over brews in the clubhouse. :-)

RSS