Forums

Help › Forums

WGT vs. EA Tiger Woods online

Sun, Aug 30 2009 10:31 PM (91 replies)
  • Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Aug 29 2009 1:37 PM

Thank you, Nivlac. It may be something to do with the graphics settings. You chose the lowest graphics settings, and perhaps under those settings, you can see the golf-ball. But, looking at your screenshots... oh my! Can you say cartoonish?    Your screenshots from today are not that much different from that PrizeGolf screenshot from 10 years ago I presented here the other day that everyone laughed about.

I let TWO determine its own "optimal" graphics settings, and under those graphics settings, I just can't see the ball, and the pictures presented to me are only slightly less cartoonish. The settings (click thumbnails for full view; the settings are not customized despite the unchecked box, but auto-determined by the software itself based on my hardware):

I have now switched to the wide-screen resolution to see if this would help, but it didn't. I also switched to another course, St. Andrews, but the ball just can't be seen. Here is a typical view; the ball has just been struck, it's somewhere in the air, but it can't be seen:

As to submitting bug reports to TWO, I'm too busy right now for that. I simply wanted to check out to see if TWO can compete with WGT at its current stage, and my conclusion for the moment, unlike yours, is: not by a long shot  I remain a loyal WGT fan & customer for the time being.    Until TWO employs multi-player, it's not worth considering it as a serious alternative, at least for me. (I just dislike playing on my own.) Once multi-players are available in both games, though, perhaps sites like the Ladder Systems might start organizing "mixed" tournaments (front 9 on WGT, back 9 on TWO) – who knows? Although given the current state of things, that idea sure sounds like blasphemy to my ears.  

• nivlac
    2,188 Posts
    Sat, Aug 29 2009 1:59 PM

Hmm, I dunno man.  I notice that in your screen shots the ball isn't traveling more than 40 yards.  Maybe that has something to do with it?

The multiplayer is supposedly coming in the next beta period from what I've heard, so maybe that'll give ya some motivation to figure out what's goin' on. =)

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Aug 29 2009 2:05 PM

nivlac:
    I notice that in your screen shots the ball isn't traveling more than 40 yards.  Maybe that has something to do with it?

Nope. I've already hit my required 207yd+ basic drive but the issue can be observed throughout. One of the screenshots I presented earlier (this one) shows a 126yd shot, but the ball is nowhere to be seen. The landscape shown instead of the ball is... erm... tolerable, but no comparison whatsoever in relation to this kind of glory.

• Crusty56
    136 Posts
    Sat, Aug 29 2009 2:29 PM

Might be that TWO, like Microsoft, is required to provide a different product in the EU.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sat, Aug 29 2009 3:15 PM

Ok Faterson, you have hijacked the thread enough.   You don't like TW online?  One post should suffice for that opinion, thank you.  There need not be another response from you.  We get it.

The addition of multiple daily and weekly 4-round tournaments make TW online a formidable presence.  The ability to have all conditions and pin placements change frequently makes one realize exactly what this game here is lacking. The WGT experience is great at first, but the critical flaw is in the lack of dynamic playing environment.  The pin placements haven't changed since the beginning of the Beta, almost a year now.  I would think that if were some easy thing to do, they would have done in by now, but they haven't.  I can only come to the conclusion that pin positioning is a more difficult task then we would like,  and if it's going to to take this long to figure out how to change them on the 2 courses offered, the experience here for many might be a short lived one.  People tire quickly of the same old, same old here, and many have persisted here in spite of this due to lack of an alternative.  I think that is about to change. 

It is clear TW will be out of Beta far sooner than its rival here, and once that happens, there are going to have to be some huge fundamental shifts of priorities here at WGT in order to survive and grow.  The level of transparency in the development of TW online really highlights just how closed off the public is here from the product.  I find the entire staff here to be very elusive with any answers that reveal anything about what is being worked on or what we can expect.  That level of secrecy will spell doom for a business that requires transparent community involvement to survive. 

This isn't the Charity Challenge, we aren't all on an island any more, communications-wise,  The community can talk freely amongst itself, and it does.  The growing level of dissent with the way things are run around here certainly get lots of airtime, both in public and in private.  I've suggested in the past about having someone there taking on a greater role in being actively involved in the community.  It wasn't really a suggestion like, "oh, this would be nice".  It's more, "No, you need this, guys".  If you look back, you'll see that many of the things I've suggested in the past were not about want but of need.   WGT didn't seem to think so, but they will soon find out exactly what I was talking about.  Everything here that people want either doesn't happen at all, or happens in such a retroactive way that it makes one wonder just what the administration here is thinking.  The inability to be proactive has been shown over the past year here, and that only underlines the separation between the players and WGT itself.  The longer that gap is maintained,  the more credibility and integrity are lost....and with them so too the game, perhaps.

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Aug 29 2009 3:22 PM

Tibbets:
    Ok Faterson, you have hijacked the thread enough.

I have hijacked nothing. This thread is titled, WGT vs. EA Tiger Woods online, and all my posts so far have been on-topic, in reaction to other users' comments, and more succinct than your epistles regarding the same comparison. I assure you I'm so busy I strive to make all my forum posts as brief as they possibly can be.

• tibbets
    1,043 Posts
    Sat, Aug 29 2009 3:30 PM

No, they are not on topic.  They belong in the hands of the developers over at TW online, where I'm sure they would be more than willing to help you getting a better perspective on seeing the ball flight. I've played the game over there for many, many hours and I can tell you there is no issue with seeing the ball flight.   I suggest you take your screenshots and observations there, since it's clear nothing can be done about them here. 

My observations here have to do with WGT and what can be done here in comparison to what is being done over there.  That is what this thread topic is about.  I should know, I created it.

Yes, I did shoot a 55 and have a 300+ yd drive over there....with the easiest settings on a course I am well familiar with.  Try playing in the Weekly Tour Pro tournament, you'll find a different experience !  I was leading after one round...with a score of +2.  When all the conditions and pin positions change, you get a game that is more formidable than any you'll ever see anywhere.

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Sat, Aug 29 2009 3:31 PM

If I could (try) to stop an argument, can anyone get me an invite to the beta of TWO? It doesn't matter if you like it or not, I just want to give it a go!

• Faterson
    2,902 Posts
    Sat, Aug 29 2009 3:42 PM

Tibbets:
    My observations here have to do with WGT and what can be done here.  That is what this thread topic is about.  I should know, I created it.

You should have chosen a more specific thread title, then. The title as originally worded by you implies that this thread is to deal with comparisons between WGT and TWO. And that's what my very few posts in this thread were doing: comparing WGT with TWO. Re-read them if you haven't noticed this the first time around. I had deliberated whether to start a separate thread for my input on this, but finally decided against it, seeing as there already existed a thread with exactly the title describing what I intended to do.

No worry, Tibbets, as far as I'm concerned, my comparison work is finished! My task was to demonstrate that, as of today and right now, TWO appers to be in many ways an inferior product when compared with WGT, and therefore currently no serious competition for WGT. That's all.

EllisSpice, I don't think you can "force" your way into the beta-testing, but you can sign up on TWO's website and then, perhaps, they will send you an email to invite you as a beta-tester, as has just happened to some of us. (Or maybe they've changed their policy now & will send you the invitation email right away; try it & you'll see.)

• EllisSpice
    871 Posts
    Sat, Aug 29 2009 3:47 PM

I actually signed up quite a while ago (May I think). Still nothing. Oh well, you win some, you lose some I guess.

RSS