Forums

Help › Forums

Am I right or wrong.

Fri, Nov 12 2010 3:51 AM (5 replies)
  • kaseychief
    75 Posts
    Thu, Nov 11 2010 8:57 PM

Seems to me that getting better (lower scores)  is not based on how much you practice, but how wide you are willing to open your wallet. I would love to continue to  play on this site, but I can;t afford to sink a lot of money into the purchase of clubs. Am I accurate in my assessment?

• WGTicon
    12,511 Posts
    Thu, Nov 11 2010 9:11 PM

I would say no. Yes, buying best clubs/balls will lower your scores, but it would not make you a batter player. Better player to me means being able to read greens well, adjust for wind, landing structure and hot just hit driver/wedge to every hole.

It's possible to shoot very good score with decent equipment. Many of us have done so before all the new clubs came along.

:)

-wgticon

• Canada15
    84 Posts
    Thu, Nov 11 2010 11:07 PM
    well u are kinda right. i played with starter clubs for a very long time. still have some. and at times it is very difficult to play well, no matter how well u can read and examine ur shot. sometimes it is just impossible with starter clubs. but on the other hand it is true that you still have to be a good player. but WGTs way of making money is when you get to a point whr u simply are not improving, thats when ppl will give them money based on competitiveness. but if you dont want to spend money just try the surveys (which rarely work) or try the netflix offer. its free. give them ur cc # and take the 30 day trial and you get 1250 points i believe.
  • Infinito3010
    3,689 Posts
    Thu, Nov 11 2010 11:20 PM

All the superb players on this site will tell you practice is a pre-requisite to scoring well.  They do not hit every green and fairway in regulation all the time.  How you play out of the rough is just as important as putting.  By putting all the game requirements together, just like real golf, only comes from many hours of practice.  I found when I first joined this site I played BPB alot.   Bethpage is an excellent course to learn how to play the rough.  I still can't play every hole in regulation.  Meaning, reach the every green in regulation.  Sometimes, on BPB, going for the green in regulation can put you in a very bad position and end up with a bogey instead of par.   Also, one must learn to play the wind, which you can use to your advantage.

Take the time to learn your clubs, their carry and nuances you will find the game alot more enjoyable.

CTTH in my opinion is an excellent starting point.  It will provide you with alot of valuable information with respects to how your clubs and balls re-act to a given shot.  Don't be afraid to try different shots and examine the results, you can only learn.  Patience is also important, and take lots of notes.

Thus, in answer to your question, learn your present clubs first, become proficient in shooting a decent round consistently.  If you want to upgrade your clubs, first place to start is normally the driver.  Also, you don't need to upgrade all your clubs at once.

• mohuyu
    891 Posts
    Fri, Nov 12 2010 12:25 AM

kaseychief:

Seems to me that getting better (lower scores)  is not based on how much you practice, but how wide you are willing to open your wallet. I would love to continue to  play on this site, but I can;t afford to sink a lot of money into the purchase of clubs. Am I accurate in my assessment?

I think I understand why you made the above comments. You are playing with begginners clubs which are frankly the worst set of clubs ever. Change to the starters in your bag - the one dot of spin makes them manageable. You can advance 4/5 tiers with those. And the last thing is practice until you are tired and then some.

• mantis0014
    8,946 Posts
    Fri, Nov 12 2010 3:51 AM

I tend to disagree with a few things your saying (wgticon).. when you first start out it's really hard, but the more you play the game the better you will get, until you move on to the nxt tier...then the game gets just about impossible to play unles you spend the money to upgrade your equipment (clubs and/or balls), of course this is the old tier system. If you don't, on some of the holes, you won't make the fairways.

... I consider myself a gun on the greens.. practise makes perfect and after reading alot of tips in the forums, it's just great, but I had to buy the good putter to get to that level.

...Off the Tees, I think I've got about 85% accuracy, or something like that... off the Masters Tees you need to Buy a  good driver otherwise you won't reach the fairways on most of the holes.

...You need to buy good wedges, so it stops the ball quicker.

... You need to buy a good set of irons to do the same thing.

... and not forgetting, ya need to buy golf balls... the game balls are really hard to play with, I don't know how I survived using them at the start...lol

Having to buy all this, makes the game more playable and enjoyable.

Ya can go into the surveys, but some of em are suspect and open to alot of headaches.

Well my lowest score at St. A Front9 is 27 and boy did I party after shooting that...lol..I don't think I would have come close to shooting that if I was using starter clubs/balls.

I enjoy shooting low scores, I hate shooting bad one's. Well anything over Par is a bad round for me...I'm thinking what's wrong with Driver/Wedge to the greens...you still have to put the ball in the hole and it's more enjoyable than turning every hole into a very long par4 or having lots of par6's...mmm.

This game is fantastic, the best online game out, but since the new structures, what you guys have done, to make the game more realistic (in your eyes) has taken the 'Fun' out of a very enjoyable 'Game' and made it into, for some, a nightmare and I think if ya take the fun out of anything, people will look elsewhere for their enjoyment...maybe not me, but when I become Legend, I think very shortly..lol, if I'm not enjoying the game by shooting high scores then I might not play it anymore..and that will be sad (for me).

Roger (mantis0014)

RSS