Forums

Help › Forums

Club Distances

rated by 0 users
Mon, Sep 28 2009 3:05 PM (22 replies)
  • scoresby
    158 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2009 4:53 PM

What's the difference.  Those who shoot 60's now will shoot 50's, 80's now will shoot 60's. Granted, there were weather issues at Bethpage.  Still, the top 60 players' scores ranged from -4 to +21.  They're simply not as good as we.

I agree it would be nice to hit a reachable par 5 in two and par 4's in regulation.  All well and good.  Consider combining added club distance with ball control, including backspin that not only stops the ball, but also draws it back; where would you put the element of error that enables scores as realistic as they are now?

Something will have to give;  It depends on where you want, or if you want, realism - the scorecard or the play.  This can be a simulation or, as I said in a previous post, a game ie., Mario Bros. Golf, or, as others have said, TW.

I suspect that some day we will be able to play alongside the tour players utilizing the same caddy advice as our partner-pro to achieve a competitive and realistic result.  Then 276 will be a superior weekend score.

Looking forward to that day.

Cheers,

• Tresclub
    934 Posts
    Sat, Jun 27 2009 10:59 PM

Would this be too far out in left field:

Amatuers:  Driver = 230yds

Pros:  Driver = 250yds

Masters:  Driver = 270yds

As you get better, you are rewarded. 

Oh btw, the fwy woods and irons distances would increase the same proportion.

Warren

• claremoreblue
    2,322 Posts
    Sun, Jun 28 2009 12:50 AM

Same old crying, already addressed. Wait for the next update and you shall recieve. then you can cry about something else. Maybe you should learn how to chip and putt,  problem solved!!

• salamii
    1,058 Posts
    Sun, Jun 28 2009 1:12 AM

Blue, I couldn't agree with you more. they are all crying about the driving distance and the course being too long, even though they are using the red and white tee boxes. I have to hit from the blue tee's with the same clubs that you use and my avg has stayed the same and has even gone down.  This topic is dead. Get over it.

• SonofAnarchy
    130 Posts
    Sun, Jun 28 2009 9:35 AM

imho if the clubs carried 5-8 yrds more on avrg. i would be happy. i was once one of the ppl asking for better club distances but now i think i like the course management that comes with the club distances right now. I often find myself pumping my fist when i drain a birdie cuz it feels so good to do it, do to the fact that i really had to earn that birdie by having to hit good shots and manage said good shots.

jay

• Zambrotta
    21 Posts
    Sun, Jun 28 2009 2:00 PM

salamii and blue, u guys are absolutely right.  Now, I haven't been a member as long as you guys, but I am not a whiner like these newbies.  If they think they are going to start the game and be amazing right away, they're dead wrong.  You've got to work at it.  If you're bad, don't blame it on your clubs because there is likely another reason.  I have an average in the high 60s using the clubs they give you when you join and am working to earn my way to better ones.  Have a little patience.

• wizbang360
    411 Posts
    Sun, Jun 28 2009 9:41 PM

I have already posted on other topics,  but they all come back to this,  the more you play the better you get,  you dont need 270 on a drive if you are decent with your long irons and good with your short ones and real good with the putter,  All you need to do is play more , no matter the frustration you will get  better,  I am at 77.26 and have been playing sine the 19th of june 09. does'nt seem to hard to me knocked off 5+ strokes just today,   if you want to play and have fun, then Play,  if you want to just "beat" the game,  go buy a video game!

• Steed31763
    3 Posts
    Sun, Jun 28 2009 10:00 PM

The main thing, no matter if you slip and hit your mouse wrong, or didnt read the shot right, is to finish. 

I have humiliated myself, Im so bad, yet I still Finish..

• SonofAnarchy
    130 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2009 9:06 AM

wanting better distance out of ur clubs has nothing to do with being a "newbie" every golfer in the entire world wants more distance out of there clubs! so stop with the freaking "newbie" "nub" "stfu u crying little baby" blasts it adds nothing to the conversation except an insight to ur age ;-)

• mosherkl
    110 Posts
    Mon, Jun 29 2009 4:28 PM

The problem with really boosting the distances is that in order to keep the "realism" something else would have to give. That would almost certainly be accuracy. Know how your putts behave if you miss the perfect line now? Take that or worse on a drive. Sure you drove 300 yards with a tailwind, but guess what? You missed by 3 pixels so you're 15 yards off the fairway in 2nd cut rough. Have fun.

I think that's the way to go to achieve realism. And I would support it if the developers decided to go that route. However, I think you keep more players playing with the current setup. I'm going to get frustrated right quick as a new player if my driving accuracy is < 30% in a round, which is what it probably would be to start.

Let's face it, WGT is making things competitive by limiting distances, causing approach shots to be longer, resulting in fewer wedge shots that stop relatively quickly. While scores are still a little extreme even now (compared to real golf), I think things are pretty good. There are some bugs to work out, but the gist of everything is there, and I think it's going to shape up to be a darn good game once it's out of beta.

RSS