Forums

Help › Forums

Club Distances

rated by 0 users
Mon, Sep 28 2009 3:05 PM (22 replies)
  • PBHIII
    1 Posts
    Sat, Jun 20 2009 12:07 PM

Why are the distances on the clubs so short?  I am an average weekend hack and I can hit my Taylor Made driver on average 270 yards.  The US Open isn't even fun with these short drivers.  I think the clubs should be adjusted to tour averages if we play from the championship tees.  The "improvements" to the game have really made it unrealistic.  

• baxter01
    3 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2009 2:26 PM

I agree. Not fun at all. As a matter of fact it sucks. Telling me i'm a pro, then i'm not able to reach the fairway off the tees, with a perfect hit, not able to reach the greens with two perfect hits. Give me a break.I'll never upgrade clubs on this sight. untill they fix a few things .

• nineinchnailz
    1 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2009 4:51 PM

Absolutely concur.  It's ridiculous.  It really takes away from the game, and makes me think this site is all about adding money so you can shoot low scores.  They should start you out with a driver that you can hit 280, and set the realistic distances with irons as well.

Otherwise, those who spend the most money do best, which is why I don't come here often.

• mckinney2006
    1 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2009 11:04 PM

I agree also.  After many tries I was able to put together two rounds of 78 at Bethpage Black using the WGT standard clubs.  Maybe in a year of trying I could post an even par round.   Tough to score when nearly all the par 4s are unreachable.  Also, disheartening to hit it perfectly off the tee and end up in the "deep rough" on number 10 or the "weeds" on number 5.   This is not golf and clearly a design oversight.  Apparently there are some people who scored in the 60s with the standard WGT clubs.  I have no idea how that is possible.   

• DeerRun
    230 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2009 11:17 PM

They have alot of work to do here on distances with clubs.  

• thunderbird
    381 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2009 7:25 AM

270 Yards is far from average driving distance and is most likely inflated.  The average golfer hits 20 percent of greens in regulation in a round.  Modern Iron lofts are literally two clubs stronger than they used to be.  This game is realistic and for the most part you have to hit each shot good.  Just like golf you make a mistake you make bogey.  This game is not Tiger Woods PGA Tour where you can go out and shoot 54 and play bad.  I enjoy the challenge and think it keeps it competive.  I would like to be able to hit all the greens in regulation with two good shots but hey I have played real holes that I couldn't reach in two when the wind was in my face 20 miles and hour.  That is a par 4.  And I truly drive the ball 270 as former professional golfer.  I am really tired of people complaining about distances when there are people posting 64 and below all the time.

• maury62
    449 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2009 7:43 AM

As i have said many times the computer picks out when youare going to get when you click the mouse to stop the line.  I agree if you are a pro youshould be able to use pro clubs this is not realistic.

• scoresby
    158 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2009 3:13 PM

Sorry.  No matter how often I hear about how much "club distance" is a prime factor in score improvement, I am reminded of relativity which, in turn, reminds me  of this old joke.

There were two men who played golf together frequently. One was several strokes better than the other. The lesser player was very proud, and never wanted to take any strokes to even up the game.

One Saturday morning, he shows up with a gorilla at the first tee. He says to his friend, "I've been trying to beat you for so long that I'm about ready to give up. But, I heard about this golfing gorilla, and I was wondering if it would be alright if he plays for me today. In fact if you're game, I'd like to try to get back all the money I've lost to you this year. I figure it comes to about a thousand bucks. Are you willing?" The other guy thought about it for a minute, and then decided to play the gorilla. "After all, how good could a gorilla be at golf?" he thought.

Well, the first hole was a straightaway par 4 of 450 yards. The guy hits a beautiful tee shot, 275 yards down the middle, leaving himself a 6 iron to the green. The gorilla takes a few powerful practice swings and then laces the ball 450 yards, right at the pin, stopping about 6 inches away from the hole. The guy turns to his friend and says "That's incredible, I would have never believed it if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes. But, you know what, I've seen enough. I've got no interest in being totally humiliated by this gorilla golfing machine. You send this frigging gorilla back to where he comes from. I need a drink; better make it a double, and I'll write you a check."

After handing over the check, and well into his second double the guy asks, "By the way, how's that gorilla's putting?"

The other guy replies, "Same as his driving."

"That good, huh?"

"No, I mean, he hits putts the same way - 450 yards, right down the middle!"

Cheers,

• Snaike
    3,678 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2009 3:45 PM

So, Scoresby... you've seen me putt??!

• BearsJState
    10 Posts
    Wed, Jun 24 2009 3:53 PM

We are talking about a computer game, not real life.  The point here is that many of us are considered Pros and are struggling to hit a drive over 240 yards.  A lot of par 4's are not reachable in two and aren't  par 4's designed to be reached in two?   Also, wouldn't be fun to hit a par 5 in two once in a while or even possibly drive a short par 4?  I like the challenge but playing courses from the championship tees and playing with short yardage clubs is a real handicap.

RSS