BP #4 Approach

rated by 0 users
Tue, Jun 23 2009 6:14 PM (3 replies)
  • scoresby
    158 Posts
    Sat, Jun 20 2009 4:31 AM

Couldn't find any previous posts on this problem

BPB #4 Approach Shot

Using a partial 54W wedge with backspin for a 66 yd full shot to the pin at 14 ft elevation, the replay shows a well struck ball launching nearly vertical and dropping nearly vertical very near the pin.  I expect the ball to stop nearby - within a couple of yards.

The reverse view shows the ball coming in at a much lower trajectory, similar to a pitch.  It lands near the pin, then beelines it to the rough at the back edge of the green.

I understand that the altitude of the camera shooting down on the shot  would distort the trajectory somewhat causing the flight path to appear flatter, but the ball should still stop near the end of it's near vertical drop.

Have a look.  Let me know what you think.

I submitted this as a "during play bug".

• monkeyass
    31 Posts
    Mon, Jun 22 2009 1:42 AM

I think you need to look a little closer as the ball bounces off the rough before it hit the green.  It sucks, but you needed to hit the ball 1.5 yards farther for a great shot.  Too bad.  It has happened to me also.

On a side note, you wouldn't think that the ball would shoot out of rough (especially at a US Open).

Happy Golf!

• scoresby
    158 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2009 11:18 AM

Thanks for the view.  You're right;  it landed on the edge of the rough.  Nonetheless, the flight path in one view is flatter than it should be and, unless the ball hit a sprinkler or squirrel head, it should have stopped within a few yards.

It's as though the ball was struck forward in stance in one view, and back in the stance in the other.

Cheers,

• iconian
    599 Posts
    Tue, Jun 23 2009 6:14 PM

happens a LOT to me. it's a pain in the ass but what happens is ball lands on the fringe and skids forward...

on some holes it can go 20-30 yards....yuk

RSS